Sky Magic Eye and Picture Format

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tobyjuggler, Dec 9, 2004.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mmm..this is a tricky one.

My main TV is widescreen and my bedroom TV is 4:3. I use a magic eye thing to watch sky in my bedroom sometimes and have set my digibox to output 16:9 on the main TV and 4:3 on my bedroom TV. All okay so far, except that if I have just been watching in widescreen downstairs, when I move upstairs the picture on the 4:3 TV is also in widescreen format (and therefore squashed up on the sides). Not a problem, I just change channel away and back again or press select and suddeny it changes to 4:3 format, as I want it. However, now the downstairs TV is now also in 4:3 format. That's okay you might think, because I'm not watching TV downstairs anymore and that's true, but if you throw a DVD recorder into the equation, then it's a right spanner in the works because it will now only record the 4:3 input it's getting fromk the STB.

It means that I can't watch TV upstairs if I have a recording set later on unless I remember to go back downstairs and set it to widescreen again or set it from the upstairs remote so that both outputs are set to widescreen. Maybe I'm being lazy, but I am also forgetful! Anyway, the point is that I would have thought that my STB should be capable of outputting the two different formats independently or am I just hoping for too much?

I have the Panasonic TU-DSB30, are there any models out there that can independently do 16:9 on one output, whilst outputting 4:3 on the other?

Thank you for your time :smashin:.

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Best advice I can offer is when you're recording something go into Services and set everything to w/s, then back again the following morning as you already said. No RF output can handle the two seperate ratios simultaneously on any box.

Have you got anything which could emit a timed ir command downstairs to the Skybox, VCR, remote etc. ?

Mike.

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Funnily enough, my DVD recorder is the Tosh RD-XS32, which has IR remote control to control my Sky box. However, I have found it to be less than reliable and although I did always set it to change channel when setting a recording, I never trusted it and always used the SKy timer too, but last night I found the ideal position for it to work correctly (even changing to channel 111!) and haven't had a problem with it since. Problem now solved. Thanks.

:smoke:.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Pace V2 Sky+ box can :smashin:

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

How?
    It along with all SKY hardware only have a single decoder stage so only one aspect ratio for all the video outputs.
    Perhaps your 4:3 telly is automatically framing a 16:9 input to suit the ratio of the screen?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    So you say - so please explain why my Pace Sky+ box has the following settings :

Picture Format : 4:3/16:9/....(etc)
    Second Location Picture Format : 4:3/16:9/.... (etc)

Hmmmm........

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

tobyjuggler asked for a SKY digibox that could do both formats independently of eachother.

8. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nick_UK,

Starburst is correct. Even my old Panasonic has that in the settings, you can choose 16:9 on one TV and 4:3 on the other, it's just that as soon as you start using the box on one TV the format of the other TV changes to the same.

This option was part of some upgrade sometime after my Sky was installed, so I thought it possible that later boxes may have taken the problem into consideration and allowed the two formats independently. I suppose that would just ramp up the cost of the box too much.