Sky+, magic eye and 3 TVs

K

kp7722

Hi all,

I am going to configure my TV setup as follows:

- Main ariel to 2 way amp/splitter; one to feed living room TV (with built-in Freeview) and one to feed Sky+
- from RF2 on Sky+ this is going to amp in loft to feed 2 bedrooms. I will be using the 9v from RF2 to power the amp as power is an issue in loft (amp: Labgear CA141/S Compact Aerial Amplifier Single Input 4 Outputs - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys)
- this will then split to bedroom 1 which has an LCD TV with built-in Freeview of which I will use a magic-eye so I can control Sky+.
- bedroom 2 has just got a "normal" tube TV without a magic-eye.

My question is what happens to the 9v on the coaxial cable going to bedroom 2? Is this a normal configuration or do I need a magic-eye for bedroom 2 to terminate the 9v? Or does the amp in the loft take care of this?

Sorry if I'm being stupid, I just want to make sure that I'm buying all the right bits!

One other quick question - as mentioned, I'm using an amp on the main feed coming in from the ariel and splitting it to the living room TV and Sky+. Am I better to just feed Sky+ from this and then use RF1 to feed the main TV? Does it make any difference at all?

Cheers,
Paul.

K

kp7722

Yes, it will save you the cost of one amplifier.

That's the only bit I already have! I presume Sky+ doesn't amplify the signal in any way so I'll use it anyway. Any advice on the other part of my post?

Cheers,
Paul.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I was talking about the amp/splitter from the aerial - you don't need it, just plug the aerial directly into RF in on the Sky box.

The Sky box will "amplify" the RF signals.

The other part of your post looks OK. DC voltages do not have to be terminated.

If only going to two other rooms you may find you do not need an amplifier at all, (or use the one you have disconnected from the aerial) - try it before spending any more money.

Last edited:
K

kp7722

Cheers Neil, much appreciated.

I think I will need the amp in the loft as I have got the set up pretty much as I've described but with an amp in the loft (that's not currently powered and doesn't have a power pass) and the Freeview in bedroom 1 is not great - only half the channels. Freeview in the living room is perfect - hence the need for an amp in the loft that feeds off the RF2 of Sky. I just thought I would add the magic-eye whilst I'm at it.

So just to confirm what you're saying (sorry!) - 9v will be passed through the amp in the loft to the magic-eye in bedroom 1, but will not do any harm to the TV in bedroom 2 what doesn't have a magic-eye?

Cheers,
Paul.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
You don't appear to be listening, I will repeat it:

Run the aerial directly to the Sky box.
RF1 out to your lounge TV
RF2 out into loft and into a passive "Y" splitter.
Outputs of Y splitter to bedrooms.

Give it a try. The RF2 output should be sufficient, without amplification, to feed two bedroom TV's and will, as previously stated, amplify the Freeview signal. Also you can have one or two Eyes in the bedrooms.

K

kp7722

So just to re-iterate, what I need to do is plug my....

...just kidding. Sorry I've been such a dunce, I think the sun's got to me. Thanks a million for all your advice over what is, after all, a trivial matter.

Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom