SKY+ loses AV1 output

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PhilElli, Nov 1, 2005.

1. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is troubling me somewhat, I have a TV, Sky+ box and DVDR connected via SCARTS.

SKY+
    TV OUT to AV1 on TV
    VCR OUT to EXT/DECODER IN on DVDR

DVDR
    TV OUT to AV2 on TV
    EXT/DECODER IN to VCR OUT on SKY+

The problem is quite simple to describe, as soon as I powerup the DVDR, AV1 on the TV dies

If I break the connection VCR OUT to EXT/DECODER IN on DVDR then everything works fine, I can flick between Sky on Av1 and DVD on AV2 on my TV but as soon as the two are connected the problem occurs. The output to AV1 will then not return for an intermittent amount of time after the DVD has been powered down, as you can imagine this is driving me nuts. At first I thought it was the TV but now I know it does not occur when the SKY+ to DVDR connection is severed I'm thinking it's something to do with the SKY+ box.

The simple solution is to leave the two units unconnected but then when I want to dump something from hdd to dvd I have to drag everything out to plug the scart back in, and remake the coonnection not ideal really.

Any ideas any one.

My TV is a Thomson 32WM403
    Sky+ is an Amstrad DRX180
    DVDR is an H&B DRX-430.

I look forward to your help.

Cheers,

Phil.

2. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your wiring setup is not the best.I would suggest the more usual setup assuming the DVDR has scart pass through:-
    Sky+ AV1 to DVDR AV2
    DVDR AV1 to TV AV1

3. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So both pieces will then share AV1 on my TV, I'll give this a try, thanks.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    that should be much better as your original route only passes a composite signal to your dvdr, whereas pinatubo's suggestion keeps it RGB throughout.

5. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be around the back of the TV like a shot when I get home.
    However, even should this prove to be a fine solution I would still like to know why what it currently does happens !?!? It defies any logic - certainly any of mine.

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi Phil

I am not sure why you lose the AV1 but connecting it up as suggested by pinatubo is the only way to record via RGB onto a dvd disc so you should go this route anyway.
    You will only get composite recordings connecting the dvd recorder to sky via the sky+ video scart.
    Daisy chaining them and using both via AV1 is the way to go, are both AV1 and AV2 RGB ??

When i first got my Panasonic dvd recorder i connected it the same way as you first did, i might add this is how the manual states to connect it up
    So when i was watching sky (connected via RGB scart) if i powered up my dvd recorder (also connected via RGB scart) i would lose the AV1 sky signal and get AV2 dvd recorder signal as it is a RGB signal so will autoswitch.

However as stated recording from sky+ onto a dvd only resulted in composite recordings not lovely crisp RGB recordings.

Sorry a bit long winded just to tell you to lose the scart connection from the sky+ vcr output to the dvd recorders vcr scart input, here i go again :suicide:

7. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect you are creating a signal loop. The VCR scart on a sky box is bi-directional and can be used for passing through signals. Your Decoder scart may also be bi-directional, the one on my Pioneer 530 is. Hence you have the possibliity to create a looping signal. I now connect my equipment through a Trilogy 1 switch box and by playing with the selections can create a similar effect.

8. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope!!
    Connected Sky+ TV out to decoder in on DVDR, DVDR TV out to AV1 on TV plays Sky+ turn on DVDR and it plays okay, turn off DVDR and no Sky pic.

ARGGHHHHHH!!!!

Oh well, time to watch CL footy (Sky+ TV out to AV1) !!

I intend to put a more detailed post up later re what's RGB and Video and S_Video on my kit.

9. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is a TV/DVD button on your remote control. Does this have any effect on your problem.

10. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've let this lie for a while but it's still bugging me.

Well, since this thread began I'e changed my TV for a Toshiba 37WLT58 and can say I'm happy with it. I personally believe that as CRT and LCD are fundamentally different there will always be some issues so it's a case of get used to it or stick with CRT (rant over).

OK, so I tried all previous suggestions to no avail, so I now am wired up in the following way.

Sky+ to AV1 via SCART
    DVDRW to AV4 Component
    Sky+ to DVDRW (no connection).

There's no connection between the two as the AV1 blanks issue still occurs.
    If I ever need to dump something from Sky to DVD i make the connection, set if off recording, go to bed and break the connection in the morning.

What I've started wondering is it possible to stop the AV1 blanking by modifying the pins on the SCART? If so which one/s?

The link below contains pics of a basic and fully wired scart.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/wvarticles/hardware/200102_scart.php

Or is the Sky+ box designed to switch off AV1 when you power up your external recorder and thus divert the signal to the AV recorder connection output? The manual does say that copying, as they call it, is best done overnight as you can't watch anything else while it occurs.

Even if the above paragraph is correct, I'd still like to stop the AV1 blanking out, as, if nothing else................ it pisses me off.

It may sound petty but if I was watching a DVD and say............ wanted to flick to Sky to catch that all important footy result I can't do it.

Cheers,

Phil.

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    AV1 doesn't disappear when you power on the DVDR, what happens is that auto-switching takes place, ie, a power signal is detected via the scart on AV2 and control auto-switches to this input. There's no reason why you can't simply manually switch back to AV1 afterward. Obviously the reason you lose Sky+ when you turn off the DVDR in the setup suggested by the earlier poster is because Sky+ is now routed via the recorder so don't turn off the recorder.

Using the last setup you posted have you thought about connecting Sky+ to the recorder via S-Video, can be just as good as RGB scart.

12. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SVHS is definitely worth a try, I have a cable knocking around.

To clarify, when using Sky and the DVDR is powered up and I switch back to AV1 on the TV, the screen is grey.
    What I was wondering was could I remove pin 8 (I think it would be this one) on a SCART (which one) and prevent the switch, or would this also prevent the signal being routed to the DVDR.

I think the term switch is misleading in this case, when the DVDR is on it is completely dominant and seems to be the lone signal recipient.

Cheers,

Phil.

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    That might be a side-effect of connecting the VCR Out scart to the DVDR, I'm not too sure why. As I said earlier, probably you best bet is to connect via SVHS, at least you'll get a better recording than via the composite VCR Out output and should be around the same quality as RGB. Incidentally what do you use the recorder for anyway as you've already got Sky+, other than backups of your Sky+ recordings.

14. PhilElli

PhilElli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the DVDR before I got Sky+, I have hardly ever used the recorder but it is useful for dumping stuff to disc. I find that Sky TV comes in fits and starts, for most of the year it's crap then loads of good stuff at once. ATM I have the entire series of Invasion (well what's been broadcast) on my Sky+ HDD and have watched not one bit, so I'll just stick it on disc and clear the space so I can record more stuff. I only have the smallest HDD they offer so it soons fill up, especially as I never watch my fave programs live, I always watch the next day so I can skip the ads. The ads on Sky are a real pain IMO, take Lost, on four an hour, the show is 40 mins long.
    8mins Lost, 5mins ads, 8mins Lost, 5mins ads, 8mins Lost, 5mins ads, 8mins Lost, 5mins ads, 8mins Lost. How annoying was that? It drove me nuts!

BTW the SVHS solution is fine. Thanks!!

I still want to know about the SCART pin solution though. Any ideas anyone? Pin 8 is AV switching.

Cheers.