1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky LNB removal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ali68, Dec 17, 2004.

1. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installing Sky+ myself as it is the only way I can get it before christmas and get a Pace receiver. The second cable is routed and the F-connectors terminated, were just about ready for action!!

Small problem I've come across (it has the makings of a big problem) is there a knack/secret/tip to removing the single output Lnb from the dish, rust appears to be my enemy here.

It's the type that pushes inside the Lnb arm.

Thanks

2. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Two types of fittings on lnb, 1st one will have a little plastic peg pushed through the arm(pull the peg out and the lnb should juyst pull out) 2nd type will have a little plastic lug on either side which you need to push in and wiggle out the lnb

3. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm thinking of buying and installing myself. Where did you buy your box from? Do you know if they had more in stock?

Any info on the installation would be greatly appreciated. Is it easy enough?
    If I find any info on the LNB I will post it.

Cheers mate. :thumbsup:

4. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.simplydigital.co.uk

Very fast shipment, 2 days in fact and i am in the far north of Scotland.

Installation so far been straight forward, only the lnb causing probs but i will look tommorrow for a pin or lugs on lnb when it is daylight and let you no how I get on.

I then of course need to choose a package and phone Sky to marry up card with new box and get sky+ activated.

Is movies 1,3,5,7 and 1 sports channel still available for £30 as this seemed to be enough to avoid paying the sub £10?

5. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers I will give them a call tommorow (£179 box - is it a better box from them with comparison to the one I would get if I canceled and my girlfriend subscribed as a new customer? with sky - the £99 one).

There is a package for £30 but it is movies 2,4,6,8 and one sports channel. I think movies 1,3,5,7,9 and one sports was £32. I've already upgraded the package for christmas but I am getting all the movie channels for £35 - this is a better deal if you like your movies as you get the cinema channels and disney channels added in as well or the sake of £3-£5.

Let me know how you get on with the LNB and I will check out the stock with simply digital tommorow, if they're open on Saturdays that is. :thumbsup:

6. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the 40Gb @ £152 gives the option to upgrade to 160 or 250 I believe.

I was going to go the same route as yourself and cancel and put it in my partners name but it seems you will get an Amstrad box 99% of the time, judging by the various forums I have read the Pace is the better box,seems to be more DIY upgradable too. I stand to be corrected on this though.

I also bought the cabling kit.

If you are interested a quick run down on what I have done so far:

1.Removed my Sony digital receiver and replaced with the Pace just to check everything was working in the Pace, received the free to air channels so assume it is OK.

2.Pulled the orginal sat cable into the attic with a piece of string attached.

3.Attached new cable to string along with old cable and pulled cables back down to living room. Fitted the F-connector and finished with red heat-shrink tubing (You don't have too it just looks good.)

4.Routed cable to the outside world terminated and finished with heat-shrink again, will use self amalgamting when finished.

5.Await tomorrow and see about this Lnb.

6.Generous servings of port the odd :beer: , it is works night out after all and I could'nt make it :mad:

7. ali68

ali68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update, the Lnb eventually came out I had to resort to a hacksaw and cut the plastic part that goes into the Lnb arm then used a pair of pliers to lever out the stuck part.

Then the new Lnb would not fit in the Lnb arm mounting hole, so at present the lnb is jubilee clipped to the upperside of the arm and believe it or not my signal quality and strength have improved. A new dish is required but will wait till the new year.

Phoned Sky paired the card and receiver,upped my subscription and was told sky+ does not need enabled as I had the movies. 1 hour later I had movies but no Sky+ phoned again and the gentleman said Sky+ does need to be enabled and the previous rep and not entered the code or something.

Long and the short of it is I now have Sky+ "what do I think" picture quality definately better than the Sony reciver it has replaced, recording is very straight forward, still playing with the live tv thing.

Now where do I find a 250Gb hard drive :devil: