1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Lip-Sync

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by C11 XFF, Oct 24, 2005.

1. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to AV and I have searched the forums and read quite a bit about lip-sync, so I apologies if this is old news.

I don't think I have a problem with my equipment as over the weekend I have just seen it on certain channels. Does anyone else notice this.

I was watching a live football match on Prem Plus and at half time when the commentators were on the lip sync was quite bad. I changed channel and the problem went away. My girlfriend also noticed it on ITV (Emmerdale...which I do not watch :nono: ) and she said it was quite bad. I also noticed it on Sky Movies 1 but couldnt find it on any other channels.

I have come to the conclusion that it is a Sky problem and maybe i am just noticing it since i got a much larger screen :) I also have a new amp, but if it was the amp I think I would experience it on all channels as well as DVD's.

Any thoughts, comments?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you don't say what your new screen is but this is a very common problem caused by the plasma (for example) taking that bit longer to process your picture than your amp does processing the sound. Does your amp have an audio delay feature?

3. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My screen is a Pioneer 436XDE and the amp is a Denon 1906. The amp does have an audio delay feature on it, but if I alter this I will have more channels out of sync than I do now as it only appears on certain channels. Also I am not 100% sure, but it appears as if the audio is 'lagging' behind the picture...I will have another look at this tonight.
    If I do need to alter the amp, what is a typical value in ms to change it too?

Also, I get no delay on DVD, just Sky.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the audio is lagging behind the picture, then the screen isn't at fault.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i have mine on -60 and just leave it there, it seems to be enough to sort out channels with a problem but not enough to create probs where they don't exist......but if its the other way round....i'm not sure what you do then :confused:

6. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply mep, i am not sure which way round it is, I will check it when I get home this evening. If it is the screen lagging, I will try the same value you have yours set on as a starting point.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the video is lagging the audio, then audio delay won't help :confused:

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yes it will because that means audio is ahead of video

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sorry, I meant the other way round :blush:

C11 XFF originally said "it appears as if the audio is 'lagging' behind the picture", in which case an audio delay would be useless.

10. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked it out last night and the picture is 'lagging' behind the sound, but only on certain channels. The two worst channels I found last night were ITV and the BBC Parliment channel. I set my audio delay to -60ms. This helped a lot, but was not enough to cause a problem on the other channels.

I watched a DVD and there was no lag at all. If it is the processing of the Plasma slowing the picture down, why does it only do it on certain channels ? It seems more likely to be a Sky problem. Could this be connected to the other problems people are experiencing with ITV ?

Don't know if this is relevant, but I am connected to the media box via. a scart and from the Sky+ to the amp with a fibre optic.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Take a look at the signal strength and quality reported by your box. If the box is working hard to correct errors caused by dish alignment or a faulty LNB, it could slow down the sound processing.

12. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked that last night, both feeds are above 80% for signal strength and quality. If it was strength or quality, would it not affect all channels?

I might re-boot the box tonight or maybe do a re-format to clean it up a bit. Never been done since I got it.

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I think it is a combined feature of sky / plasma and I always some channels to be worse than others....I suppose teh media box does add another link in the chain which could also contribute.......you may find you go up to -80 without causing a problem elsewhere.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, but some channels are weaker than others (especially on a possibly mis-aligned dish) because the satellite "footprint" is different.

15. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been doing a few experiments since i posted my original post concerning lip-sync. I have come to the conclusion that it is the Scart/fibre optic combination of the Sky+ box that cause the sync problems.

When viewing Freeview on the plasma with the audio conected via a fibre optic to the amp there is no problem. There is also no problem whilst viewing a DVD with the audio connected to the amp via coaxial. If I view Sky with the sound going via the scart to the media box and then to the amp via fibre optic there is no problem.

Lip-sync only occurs when Sky is connected to the media box via RGB scart and the sound is connected to the amp via fibre optic. I have my audio delay set to around 100-120m/s delay. I keep tweaking it with in this range !

I wondered if RGB takes longer to process via the media box? The DVD is connected via scart but set to S-Video. I have exactly the same set-up as I did with my CRT, so this is the only thing i can think off.

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    I get lip-sync problems and occasional drop-outs of sound, My signal strengths and qualities are never really much above three quarters and sometimes half - how do I go about fixing this ?

17. gw8uzl

gw8uzl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took delivery yesterday of PDP436xde
    as you say some sky channels only
    connected via scart aand sky box set to rgb

John

18. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am almost connected the same except I take the audio from the Sky+ box to the amp with a fibre optic. I have found that if I set the audio delay to 100ms on the amp, it woprks well with all channels

19. gw8uzl

gw8uzl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Main culprit is Sky News
    Havent got an amp yet looking at Yamaha 757
    Interested to know how you connect everything
    I have sky
    1 dvd recorder dmre20 not yet connected
    1 pioneer dvd no lip probs
    1 vhs not yet connected
    how would you suggest it all eventually connects up via amp

John

20. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will find the worst channels are 103, Sky News, BBC News channel, Parlament channel and Sky Sports Premiership Plus. There may be more but these are the main ones I found.

It is strange how it only does it on these channels as Freeview and DVD are fine.

My sky is connected to Input 1 via a scart set to RGB, audio direct to the amp via fibre optic.

DVD is connected to input 2 via a scart set to S-Video, audio direct to amp via coaxial. (I need to try the DVD on input 3 set to RGB to see if it is better.)

I have a 100ms delay on the audio for Sky

21. MacTechsUK

MacTechsUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed the problem too on random channels with Sky +. I have also found that changing channels, then going back helps to correct the issue.
    I think it is a sky+ box issue. I also have the Pioneer 436 but it happens on analog audio via scart on mine so I don't think it is a processing issue. It is also OK on analog and Digital freeview, DVD and VHS.

Mac

22. gw8uzl

gw8uzl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for confirmation
    i need tocheck my sky box is not + and not sure if it
    has diogital audio
    Checked sky news on my son`s Philips 42 inch
    non hd and sky news is perfect