Sky link sensor (Magic eye) with Sky+ problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Lexeus, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I have a Sky+ DV3 box, with the second output going to an upstairs room, and a sky link (magic eye) sensor on the second TV.
    The sensor worked ok with the original sky, and it worked with the original Sky+ box, but after a couple of months of problems with the sky+ box the hard drive finally failed, and they replaced the sky+ box with the latest version. Now, although I can watch sky fine, the sensor does not work in the second room.
    As I understand it the secound output has to have a voltage sent down it for the sensor to work (9V I believe) and I have checked that this is turned on in the RF menu. I have tested the sensor by bringing it down stairs and plugging it straight into the second rf socket, and it worked fine, and I have tested both sky+ remotes.
    I have looked into the problem and came across a piece of equipment on this webpage, for boosting the current on long cables:

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/accessories2.htm

But £30 is rather alot ....
    Is it possible that there is some other problem ? As I wouldn't say the cable was that long at all; it runs from the lounge downstair, staright out the window and up to the bedroom directly above it.
    Is the latest sky+ box known for outputting a weaker current than the original sky+ box ?

I would really appreciate any input and advice on this

Thanks alot

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    You need to check for 9v DC at the end of the cable upstairs. Can you check it with a voltmeter? If not, are your pictures 100%?, no? - there's probably a break in the cable. If they are, try crimping the centre of the coax plug at both ends of the cable. This usually isn't done when installed by S*y monkeys.

The gadget you mention is not needed!. :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm - not wanting to hijack the thread but ive got a slightly different problem with my magic eye when upstairs... All the functionality of my Sky+ can be controlled just fine except for the 'down' button i.e. if you are using the up and down button to scroll through the program listings, only the 'up' button will work upstairs!

Ive got two remotes and they both work fine downstairs so its got to be a connection or magic eye problem :confused:

Its obviously not a show stopper but its very annoying!

With regards to your problem - you don't have any signal boosters / splitters etc in the connection between downstairs and upstairs do you? Oh and don't forget that the RF connection MUST be in RF2 on the sky+ box

Cheers

Steve

4. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No I don't have anything in between, apart from an adaptor, as the connector on the end was male instead of female. RF2 > adaptor > cable > sensor > TV.

Well anyway I used a multimeter and checked the voltage on the RF2 out on the box and it was at about 8.8V, so ok, but on the end of the cable up stairs it was negligible, maybe 0.9V, but was hard to get a reading at all

So what do you think is wrong ? How could a cable suddenly develope a fault ? I really can't believe its a fault, seems far too much of a coincidence that it suddenly stops working when the sky+ box is changed.
    The only other thing which may be of note, is that adaptor I was talking about, on the RF2 out. Before the guy came to fit the replacement box the adaptor I had on there was a plastic one with a metal centre, but it was cracked so the guy replaced it with a new one which is all metal. Could that be a problem ?
    I mean, if there's a fault in the cable why is it not effecting my ability to watch sky at all ?

Appreciate the replies thanks :)

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Have you tried my original suggestion?

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe this explains the problem?

http://www.satcure.com/tech/tvlink.htm

7. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got it working ! :) after posting here I thougth I would have another mess around with it. Anyway, I think it was where the connector joined the adaptor to the rf2-out.
    The core wire in the centre of the cable didn't seem to be making a good contact with the centre of the adaptor, so I bent it slightly to make sure it was touching, and now it works :)

I am not sure if that was what you meant I should do Arthur ? I checked the cable connectors were crimped on the ends properly, but was a bit confused. Anyway, its working now yay ! No thanks to sky :p.
    Now I just have to get sky to fix my reception ... :(

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    ...which is why I told you to crimp the centres of the coax plugs.

Was that a thank you? :blush: You're welcome! :cool:

9. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would add that I also had problems with the remote eye not working properly in the second room. The symptoms were that it only worked some of the time and looking at the small black box the green light just kept coming on and then going off randomly. However, after the recent SKY+ update I no longer have any problems with the remote eye and the green light is now constant. I know that the SKY engineers suggested that it was a problem with the actual box and not the cable run (Taken from other forums on other sites). Anyway it's fixed

10. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hey, i know its been a long time but had more probs with it again after it stopped working, and i was being stupid before. I totally understand what you were suggesting and yea you were sort of right, well pretty much. Except the problem was actually that the core of the connector plugging into the box was snapped off so there was just and it wasnt making proper contact with the larger adaptor connector.
    Just switched the connector for a new one. :)

The awful thing is that I have been at uni for ages and my mother tried to get it fixed whilst I was away and the aerial guy first sold her a new magic eye as the old one was 'broken' as the red LED wasn't lighting up on it, but it was the old model, which didnt have a red LED on it, couldnt believe it, my mother just paid him, and somehow he obviously made it work just by messing with the wires and making it contact, but then it stopped working again a week later.
    When my mother got hi to come out and look at it he said it needed a whole new cable from the box downstairs to the tv upstairs and would be £50 + the price of the cable. She said no so £20 call out charge.
    But all the time it was just a broken connector !! A Blatently broken connector ! :mad:

The best part is that the aerial guy is obviously the one who broke the connector in the first place, as it was absolutely fine until he fitted the sky+ box, then was broke! :rolleyes:

thanks for all the help !

a Long term problem but eventually fixed! and yes, I now have a 9v dc on the cable and most important of all, a pretty red LED :D

11. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have exactly the same problem. I can use some buttons but not others.

Can't scroll down or page up.

Very annoying

12. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've found out what the problem is! :D

I ordered a magic eye from amazon with sky remote for £15, but it said delivery in 2 weeks. I seen a magic eye and remote in a local market stall for £11, so i decided to buy it and cancel the amazon one.(Philex IR extender and SKY remote control)

Too late when i got back home, i logged on to my account and i couldn't delete it as it had already gone for packing, i thought oh well, i'll send it back when it comes.

I just plugged the amazon eye in and found that all the functions work.

Dud magic eye from the market!

Can't be bothered taking it back, i got a spare remote i suppose!

13. colmc555

colmc555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank youfor tips on how to fix problems with eyelink.i took my first one back to shop for a replacement and the second one wouldnt work either till i came here and read your solutions to theproblem . a simple bend on the centre core on co ax cable fixed the problem of the remote not working upstairs on second tv.thanks again guys:)

14. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Advice from 6 years ago still being used!

Superb!

15. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    And you're still around - superber.:D

16. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    :D

Albeit with a change of user name!

I used to be A right Dork!

Steady on though, praise from a moderator? I'm not used to it!

Always happy to help. Happy when those helped give thanks. Sad when it's not appreciated.

:)

17. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    There's been a few changes around here - maybe that's one of them. :blush::thumbsup:

18. PSAMUEL

PSAMUEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had a normal sky box in 2008, magic eye worked fine.
    changed to a samsung hd and all kinds of problerms but basically no magic eye working, even though the light was lit on the eye.
    after 6 months or so it suddenly started working, no idea why apart from the connections which it must have been, but i did not even touch them? but it was working so, left well alone.
    my attic box failed last summer , replaced the item and i have been without the magic eye facility since, great pic but no changeover.
    read this forum this morning, crimped the co ax plugs hey presto.... brilliant all working fine now.
    the samsung box must be pretty sensitive im guess,

19. mina691

mina691
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Probably a really dumb question, but is a 2nd sky box needed in order to use the magic eye on a 2nd tv, upstairs?
    Then i'll know what i'm doing wrong!
    Thank you

20. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    No!

21. PSAMUEL

PSAMUEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, just use it to connect to 2nd tv.
    the sky remote when used upstaris or the 2nd tv location, will change sky channels for you.

22. mina691

mina691
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, then i must have a faulty connector or cable as its not working. Perhaps you can help me?
    Sorry but dont know the correct jargon, but i;'m using the upstairs TV using an aerial socket on the wall and connecting with a cable to the back of the TV.
    But when i plug in the Magic eye to the back of the TV and the cable as per the instructions, nothing happens, and lose picture
    I'm on the verge of sending the magic eye back - so frustrating!

23. mina691

mina691
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, then i must have a faulty connector or cable as its not working. Perhaps you can help me?
    Sorry but dont know the correct jargon, but i;'m using the upstairs TV using an aerial socket on the wall and connecting with a cable to the back of the TV.
    But when i plug in the Magic eye to the back of the TV and the cable as per the instructions, nothing happens, and lose picture
    I'm on the verge of sending the magic eye back - so frustrating!

24. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    So how is you existing Sky box connected to the aerial socket on your bedroom wall?

Without the eye can you receive the Sky channels?

25. PSAMUEL

PSAMUEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to run a cable from the rf2 outlet on the back of the sky box up to the second tv.
    the magic eye sits in between.

26. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    The "magic eye" is for sending the remote control back to the receiver; it's the cable from the wallplate to the TV that sends the programme.
    That's the TV - what about the receiver - how is it connected - to a wallplate in its room?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  27. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I don't know why I bother at times...........:(

28. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Because two heads are better than one. ;)
    You asked "how is you existing Sky box connected to the aerial socket on your bedroom wall?" so I put it another way and asked how the Sky "box" is connected to the wall in the room where it is - we know what the answer should be but you never know for sure.

29. mina691

mina691
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you all,
    I am using the main tv using a sky+ box connected using an arial cable through the wall, not the wall socket connector
    The 2nd TV upstairs works using the socket in the wall connected to the back of the tv (cant get a signal using the arial thru the wall.
    Can it all be done without having to get someone in to do wiring?
    what is the rf2 outlet?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  30. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    OK and thanks for the details - we're getting nearer to the cause of the problem now, and need more of them:
    Sky receivers don't work through "an arial cable through the wall" - that must be a cable to the satellite dish. It should screw in to the Sky receiver - does it?
    Then there's a "wall socket connector" in that room, that you don't use. What exactly is it - what type of socket or sockets does it have, and how is it or are they labelled?
    The same question about the socket in the bedroom, that you do use?
    You say there's "arial thru the wall" in the bedroom. Is that the same kind of thing as the one in the main room?
    If it is then the answer to your original question is that you could use a second receiver, but would not then need the cable and "eye" at all.
    The RF2 Out socket is the way that the channel gets out of the receiver for connection to the extension TV. We'll come back to that if necessary.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011