1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Link help!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bob mushroom, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to have sky link plugged upstairs in the bedroom but I had Sky+ installed and moved the ols box upstairs and as such put the old Sky link in a cupboard.

I am now getting rid of box upstairs and wish to use sky link to view sky + downstairs - upstairs.

Before I go pulling everything out please could someone assist by telling me if I am correct or if I have forgotten a fundemental part (or just totally inept!!!)

As I understand it I need to run a coaxial lead from RF" Out in the Sky+ box via a splitter into the ariel point downstairs - (this will all connect to what the engineer set up originally?) via the coaxial lead that goes into the tv upstairs I put the magic eye into that and hey presto using a spare Sky+ remote I will have control!!??!!

Please let me know if this is the way or whether I need to go back to school..

Thanks

Bob

2. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am doing exactly the same thing right now, and the "magic eye" is not working. It works into the back of the sky +, but not when separated by 30 feet of standard coax. I am wondering whether I need low loss coax?

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I don't get the 'splitter' bit. A Coax - goog quality from RF out to the link & then the tele upstairs. Turn the link on on the Sky box. If it's ok you should see a led on the link.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't work with a splitter unless it's a "SkyLink Compatible" one.

Use RF output 2 and turn the RF output power ON in the secret Installer Menu after you've connected everything.

If it doesn't work, check out this page.

5. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    sorry for the confusion. Splitter - If I have 1 ariel point I need to run a cable into the back of sky box to pick up terrestrial signal then surely I have to run rf2 lead back into this point - please let me know

6. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    If I'm not mistaken -
    Aerial into Sky box then to Tv (or Vid) My own goes straight to Tv.
    Scart lead Sky to Tv - AV1 is my Sky channel & has nothing to do with my terrestrial channels.
    RF out from Sky to link upstairs. I still dont get the splitter. All my channels upstairs are through Sky. I suspect if my terrestrial aerial was plugged into Sky, when Sky was turned off or the tv not on Sky channel, I'd have normal terrestrial signals through the link lead from the aerial feeding into the Sky box. I actualy have a seperate aerial to my upstairs vid, so I have terrestrial channels again seperate from Sky. This does not allow me to tape Sky upstairs.