1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ less dependable these days...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gringottsdirect, May 13, 2002.

1. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Becoming aware that my Skyplus+ isn't as dependable as before.
    Tonight it stopped recording before the end of ITV F1 highlights, the evening before it did the same thing with the Ant and Dec Likely Lads Tribute. There are others.
    Is Sky reducing it's commitment to Skyplus+ ? I am a big fan, much more so than with my Tivo, but this is happening too often.
    Is it just my imagination, or does anyone else feel the same? :rolleyes:

2. Lexus Fan Man

Lexus Fan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is down to the EPG not being updated when programmes overrun, I'm not sure who's responsibility it is to make sure it is ammended after an overrun.

The same thing happened to me on saturday and sunday with ITV, a programme over ran in the morning and the EPG was still out of sync in the evening. Being able to add padding manually would solve this, any ideas anyone?

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Is flagging a programme on the EPG the only way to make the Sky+ box record it? I'd assumed that the HDD could be turned on and off in much the same way as a conventional video recorder - am I wrong?

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the verge of getting Sky+ but this is worrying. Is it more of a problem with ITV than other channel? If so has ITV still got a big sulk on over ITV Digital and deliberately runs late? They certainly seem to overrun more than any other terrestrial channel.

5. Lexus Fan Man

Lexus Fan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All recording is done via the EPG and the only probs I've had are with ITV (interesting that).

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Lexus, does that mean that it's difficult (or impossible?) to decide to record a programme after it has already started?

Bert

7. Lexus Fan Man

Lexus Fan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you can record after it has started it will just appear as "part rec" afterwards. Don't get me wrong SKy+ is one of the most useful things i have bought, it changes the way you watch TV. They just need to add manual padding so if a programme runs late you can add extra recording time on at the end or update the EPG more swiftly.

99% of my recordings are fine (SKY+ automatically adds a few mins at start and end of recording for this problem) you just need the ability to extend this padding if you wish.

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Lexus, thanks for that. I've been considering getting Sky+, but technical info on the box isn't easy to come by from them.

Incidentally, I don't know about Sky having less committment to Sky+, but they certainly don't seem to be pushing it as hard as they used to in their advertising.

Bert

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Has anyone had the experience of knowing they have set Skyplus+ to record a programme, for example C5 Fifth Gear, only to have it disappear from the EPG and not record it.
    This makes you think you forgot to set it, except you have the wife and cat to back you up. It's happening for sure.

10. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can just press the record button when you are watching a prog . say you sudenly have to rush out in the midle of a prog you just press record . it will then record to the end of the prog (unless you have somthing else set to record at the same time . then it will come up with an error mesage .

you can allso use the search and scan banner to record in the same way you set the reminder . just search back and forth up and down then when you find somthing just press R

i would love to have a manual recording function so you can set a time to start and finish though . when i was talking to the installer though he said that sky+ only realy has around a 10th of the functionality that it will in the future . so hopfully things like that and the ability to put a ten min beffer at the end of a prog will be with us soon

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  12. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is suposed to be a copy function that lets you transfer the recodings to video tape . not sure exactly how it works as i don't have a video to try it out .

what i do gather is that you can't watch anything else while doing it (the box only has one decoder ) . thike i said i'm not realy sure exactly what the diference is between this function and just watching the recorded prog with a video connected on record . it may be that in this state it dos'nt show the on-screen graphics or somthing , but don't quote me on that

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You can of course just plug a VCR into SKY+ and record the decoders output which is the method I guess most people use.

The "Copy" function on SKY+ allows you to flag any recorded program in the Planner and then SKY+ will playback each recording in turn with the EPG summary before hand.
    Makes it very easy to do unatending VCR recording over night if you need to archive or make a tape for a friend.
    As Squid says when they copy function is active it is using the single decoder so you can't watch another program at the same time but you can still record a program.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Contacted Sky Customer Services/Sky Technical.
    After speaking to five people it was a lady in CS who knew about the EPG problem.
    The BBC are updating their servers was the reason given, oh... what about C5 and C4 and ITV.... long pause...
    I have now been credited with £10 for April and May, with the advice to contact them again if there are further problems.
    Hope they find a fix soon.

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Been using my Tivo more in the last couple of weeks what with the Skyplus+ EPG problems.
    Oh dear, how quickly one forgets...
    I hope Sky fixes the EPG real soon, my Tivo really is better used as a door stop.
    As for recording Dossa and Joe without my asking, the possible ending of the freephone dial outs, my Tivo will shortly be making a wee journey to the skip.
    Please sort Skyplus+ out quickly.

16. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If it does make the skipward journey, I'll have it :)

Dave

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    CodeThief,
    Visit your local Civic Amenity Site regularly, Tivos are turning up quite often now.
    Good hunting.
    If you don't mind my asking, for what purpose were you thinking of using it?

Having checked my Sky statement, amazingly they have credited my account for two £10 Skyplus+ payments, this is the first time since I have dealt with Sky Customer Services they have done as promised without chasing them. Blimey !
    The Skyplus+ EPG seems to have stopped deleting events to be recorded on updating itself, at least I haven't lost anything for the last few weeks, so fingers crossed.
    Skyplus+ is still missing the ends of more programmes than it used to, although it has actually coped with Snooker and World Cup over runs on several occasions.