• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky+ & lcd tv with freeview built in

ztk123

Established Member
Hi,

My setup is sky+, sony lcd with freeview built in, rooftop aerial with vision power supply.

Recently i had to take all the above upstairs due to a flood downstairs, the water didnt get into any of it luckily.

When i eventually got back downstairs a couple of weeks later i hooked it all up again to what i thought was correct
and now i can't get any freeview channels via the aerial, the sky all works fine and have no issues with it.

When i try to autotune it searches, picks up nothing and tells me to connect tv aerial.

I have conncted it up as follows:

Vision power amp: tv feed into AERIAL IN on sky + , power into RF OUT 2

RF 1 on on sky+ is spare

Sky+ has scart lead from TV SCART to scart socket on tv.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction,

Thanks

zac

Broadz

Distinguished Member
You don't seem to have an RF cable running from RF1 to TV RF in. So, you aren't sending the terrestrial signal from the aerial, through the Sky box, to the TV. Either connect the aerial directly to the TV - missing out the Sky box completely - or run a second RF cable from RF out on Sky box to RF in on TV.

logiciel

ztk123

Established Member
Try tuning with the TV's digital tuner for Freeview.

ive done that it tells me to connect the aerial.

As far as i can tell the aerial is going through the power amp into the sky box then out through the scart into the tv, thats how i understand it???.

thanks

So why don't you do that? :confused:

As far as i can tell the aerial is going through the power amp into the sky box then out through the scart into the tv, thats how i understand it???.

there was never an independent aerial cable straight into the back of the tv
it all went out the through the amp.

thanks

You don't seem to have an RF cable running from RF1 to TV RF in. So, you aren't sending the terrestrial signal from the aerial, through the Sky box, to the TV. Either connect the aerial directly to the TV - missing out the Sky box completely - or run a second RF cable from RF out on Sky box to RF in on TV.

Does the terrestrial signal not travel via the scart with the sky signal then,
i assumed it did both? by the sound of it, it doesn't.

I will try what you said about running the second cable to the tv,

Many thanks for your help

Zac

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

The aerial connects to the TV's aerial socket, either direct, or through the Sky receiver, and the Scart has nothing to do with it.
You said "now i can't get any freeview channels via the aerial" so I assume that there was a time when you DID get freeview channels via the aerial, and therefore must have had the aerial connected to the TV's aerial socket.

Last edited:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
You only need to use the aerial connections on the Sky box if your sending the output to a TV in another room or to a VCR etc. Connect cable from the aerial to the signal booster input, then the booster output direct to the TV.

logiciel

"Vision power amp: tv feed into AERIAL IN on sky + , power into RF OUT 2" says that something is happening on the socket for another room.
But what?:confused:

ztk123

Established Member
"Vision power amp: tv feed into AERIAL IN on sky + , power into RF OUT 2" says that something is happening on the socket for another room.
But what?:confused:

i have another tv upstairs with a magic eye for sky, i think power into RF OUT 2 powers that maybe?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
i have another tv upstairs with a magic eye for sky, i think power into RF OUT 2 powers that maybe?

In which case the RF cable must run into the Sky box first - and must run from RF1 out to the local TV. And you must also have a second RF cable running from RF2 upstairs - which you neglected to mention in your first post.

ztk123

Established Member
In which case the RF cable must run into the Sky box first - and must run from RF1 out to the local TV. And you must also have a second RF cable running from RF2 upstairs - which you neglected to mention in your first post.

Thanks for the reply, i really dont have much knowledge of all this, the aerial installer hooked it all up for me.

Can you clarify for me what cable is what.

I have 3 cables at the moment. one looks like the aerial, the other two run from the amp, one for tv and other says 12V.

which one is the Rf cable.

Thanks

Broadz

Distinguished Member
which one is the Rf cable.

One that looks like a TV aerial connection.

You need TV aerial to booster. RF cable from booster to RF in on Sky box. RF cable from RF1 out on Sky box to TV aerial in. RF cable from RF2 out on Sky box to Magic Eye. Magic Eye to TV aerial in on bedroom TV.

So - three RF cables in total. One very long one (running from Sky box to bedroom TV) and two short ones (from booster to Sky box, and from Sky box to local TV).

logiciel

The "magic eye" is for sending the remote control back to the receiver, and it does need RF2 Power set in the receiver's menus.
It gets the control back down the same cable that sends the channel up, and that and the others are as Broadz explains.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom