• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky launch in the Mail on Sunday magazine

Sooren

Just been eating my tea and reading the Mail on Sundays TV guide. They have done a two page report on the new Planet Earth series which is recorded in HD and downscaled. They say in their report that Sky HD launch towards the end of March. Makes you wonder if there is some truth in it when a big hitter puts its neck on the chopping block.
Oh well we will soon see. If they are correct I promise to buy the Mail every day for a year.

R

Roger G Cam

Sooren said:
If they are correct I promise to buy the Mail every day for a year.

Yeeees - but - do you buy the Mail every day already?

Roger

srandrews

Standard Member
I read somewhere else, on this forum or DigitalSpy's High Def forum, that the Sunday Times also said that Sky HD will be launched in March. That coming from a Murdoch paper would seem to suggest that something is definitely afoot!

jjbclark

Standard Member
Is that why Sky have a "Join Sky today and get 4 months half price" deal running until the 23rd ot 24th of March - thought it was a bit of an odd date to end a special offer?

Maybe they're trying to shift as many of the 'old' boxes before releasing the HD service and boxes?

Jeffers

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
jjbclark said:
Is that why Sky have a "Join Sky today and get 4 months half price" deal running until the 23rd ot 24th of March - thought it was a bit of an odd date to end a special offer?

Maybe they're trying to shift as many of the 'old' boxes before releasing the HD service and boxes?

Jeffers

I'd imagine the kinds of people that would sign up to a 'half price for 4 months' are not the same market that would buy HD. so probably separate deals. Maybe they want to get their numbers up for year end?

Spoonhead

Won't launching be about marketing in earnest, pricing and ordering, with the availability and turn on of boxes more likely 4-6 weeks from then. So probably a go live of end April early May?

Gazza

czytt

gazzared_typer said:
Won't launching be about marketing in earnest, pricing and ordering, with the availability and turn on of boxes more likely 4-6 weeks from then. So probably a go live of end April early May?
They aren't looking for HD to be a mass-market product from day one.

It seems more likely that will just make the announcement, and start taking orders immediately. No need for a marketing campaign. Although that may have started already judging by the number of HD ads during the Oscars ceremony.

Jerry

R

Roger G Cam

I think quite large numbers of people have already signed up as - interested.

Frankly - Easter has to be a key weekend for big budget spending - if they haven't launched by then they will have missed a big opportunity to get people to go out and buy HDTV's.

But the immortal question - when..........remains.

Roger

Nick_UK

Banned
jjbclark said:

Jeffers

Surely if people are going to be trading up to SkyHD, there will be a lot more SD boxes around, so why end the offer ? It doesn't make sense.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
what do i do with my sd sky+ box?

will the forums be flooded with em? lol

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
krismc said:
what do i do with my sd sky+ box?

will the forums be flooded with em? lol

yep. And then they'll call up sky and pay their £10 a month. Just like Sky want. Or they'll try and 'cleverly' avoid the £10 by paying £15 a month more to get movies (like dumb old me). Also just like sky want.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom