Sky+ known faults

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sg4455, Mar 21, 2005.

1. sg4455

sg4455

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had Sky+ installed for 3 months now and whilst I love the idea and flexibility it offers, I am disappointed with sky's technical desk/policy in refusing to resolve an ongoing problem. The audio/video are often out of sync with each other on recorded programmes thus giving the impression you are watching a badly dubbed foreign film, and more irritatingly, the box sometimes displays the wrong time. This has caused a number of programs to have been lost/missed because the box didnt start recording until the final credits are rolling.

Incidentally, if you hadnt already guessed - I have an Amstrad box.

I have been informed by Sky that both these problems will be resolved by a software upgrade but nobody knows when this will be. It could be 1 week, 1 month or even 1 year. Failure to resolve this issue within a year sounds unlikely but having spoken to a very helpful chap at Sky this time frame sounds realistic. He told me that calls to the help desk (with the same issues as mine) snowballed in September (6-7 months ago) and that the problem still remains unresolved. Everybody at the help desk refuses to send out an engineer because it is a known problem and this chap was fearfull of losing his job for doing so as it would violate a directive from upper levels of management.

What can I do? I have a box (which I had to pay for) that doesnt do what it was supposed to do and no firm date for it to be fixed. This is the very same box that was supplied in December 2004 (with these inherent faults) 3 months after Sky discover that it was faulty. This for me is the most irritating aspect of this problem - they knew it was faulty when they supplied it.

Any ideas/strategies on how I can get this sorted would be much appreciated.

:suicide:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Have a word with your local Trading Standards Dept. You entered into a contract with Sky, and they have to keep to their side of the agreement. The Sky box is covered by the same "fitness for the purpose" regulations that apply to all other stuff which is sold.

3. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You have my sympathies - it's like buying a new car and then being told that the failure of the brakes is a known fault but will be resolved some time in the future.

Check this thread out, it's some advice I dished out which paid dividends to the poster. Maybe empasise that the time slipping, which is a known Amstrad fault, is making the Sky+ box un-usable (also the audio sync makes it pretty useless) and that you wish it to be replaced with a Pace.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195428&highlight=james+murdoch

Let us know how you get on.

Nathan