Sky+ Jumping, sticking, juddering and locking!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Richard5, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Richard5

Richard5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Sorry about the long post. (and possible spelling mistakes)

My Sky+ (Details below) has over the last few weeks started dispalying the following symptoms whilst watching recorded programmes

Watching a recorded programme it will just switch off! Then when you go to carry on watching the programme it has no "start from last viewed" marker, so I fast forward to roughly the right area and it either locks up (ie little graphics going round, but timer sets back to zero with static picture) or it switches off again!

If I am persistant, I can keep re-doing this 5 or 6 times and eventually it gets past the point of no return, but it's a pain in the wotsit.

2. Last night, whilst watching a pre-recorded prog and recording Big Brother (for her you understand) it happened again, I was fed up so I switched off, when she came in and wanted to watch BB (well past it's finish time) it was still showing recording, and no matter what we did we couldn't delete or play it, it was just stuck there.

Did a full software update today (holding down backup whilst powering up) and it has deleted everything in the programme planner, all pre-recorded stuff and all things due to be recorded as well! Not happy.

I must admit I do leave it on 24/7 could this be a problem.

I have noticed when the problems occur the picture tends to be breaking up/pixilating, could it be a loss of signal causing the problem? Both signal measure are above 50%

I chopped down a tree last weekend because I thought it may be interfering, but it still carrys on being a pain.

System Details
    Pace BSKYB 3100
    Part Code 540-230951

From System Details
    Manafacturer PACE
    Model 2.057C2
    VER 9F2104
    Operating System 1.3.0BF
    EPG Sky+ 1.26.v2

If anybody has any ideas, thoughts or comments on any of the above I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks for any help and advice

Richard

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The most obvious problem would be a faulty hard drive, that would certainly cause the playback problems you are having and maybe the conflicts with the OS which causes the box to switch off.

Reloading the OS shouldn't have wiped the HD unless on rebooting the scan of the contents indicated corrupted data which would then be removed (not sure if it's deleted or just removed from the TOC).

There should be no problem with the box on 24/7, it is designed for that although I prefer to put it into standby when not in use but as long as the box isn't overheating you'll be ok.

If it's under warranty I would certainly make use of it.

3. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I had exactly the same problems. Have had my box (Pace V2) since Dec 2003. It was fine for a month and then did what you have just explained. I did housekeeping which wiped the disk and all was then ok for several months. Then about 2 months ago it did it again so I did housekeeping again, it would then last about a week before the problem re-occurred. After going through the problem and then housekeeping about 4 times in 6 weeks I called Sky, they sent someone round who did a basic check on the connections and then replaced the LNB and did housekeeping again. 2 weeks later the problem re-occurred. I called sky again, and this time when they came out they replaced the box. That was 10 days ago, and so far all is ok.

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I agree with Starburst - that it sounds HDD related. Have you noticed how hot it's getting? It seems to me that excessive heat causes lots of problems. I upgraded my HDD & on removal the factory fit Maxtor was boiling. Susequently I tried it in my PC & it wouldn't work (just as an additional HDD.) Then I sent it back to Maxtor who exchanged it as faulty. The replacement's in my PC now. Had the 'old' drive remained in + I'd have been another warranty claim I fear.

5. Richard5

Richard5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an addition to the above I called Sky last night, they talked me through doing a full system reset, which again wiped everthing from the hard drive.

Things were worse after that, as I know cannot record anything, pause or rewind live TV at all, all I get is a message saying there is a technical fault!

Sky engineer comeing Friday to fix (though he will probabaly just replace the box I guess) as it is still under gurantee.

Will keep you updated

6. Richard5

Richard5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky engineer came today, and did indeed replace the box (with a new one!), when I asked what the problem was he said

"The second IF is knackered"

So now you know, if anybody does no what he was talking about I would be most interested

Fingers crossed it will keep working

Rgrds

7. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    "IF" Input Feed? Possibly.

8. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member