Sky+ - Its' all gone

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by uk_jih, May 19, 2004.

1. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had a power cut last night and when the Sky+ box came back on it had lost all of my recordings. It was not recording at the time, liverewind is switched off but still the hard disk was knackered (120GB).

When I pressed record, it said that recording was not available so I did the housekeeping thing, still no recording, so I did it once more for luck and boy was I lucky, it's all gone but at least recording is working again.

My question is, is there a way to switch off (shutdown) a Sky+ box safely?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mine has had a load of accidental power losses as someone yanks a power lead out..... never a problem like this....

ad

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Never had any problems with a power cut or switching the box off at the mains. However whne the power is cut while a HD is spinning and/or the heads are moving there is always the possibility of the data being corrupted especially as the SKY+ has that extra layer for organising data which a normal FAT32 HD would not have.

4. MSEHOME

MSEHOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your sky plus box has a short power cut it is possible that when you try to access you recordings they appear not to be their. This appears to be because box software has become corrupted. To get recordings back un plug box for at least 2 ½ Minutes then switch power back on and hey presto recordings should be back :thumbsup:

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Nice tip if it recovers 'missing' recordings. I will just add my sensitive circuit breakers often trip with the washer on spin! Touch wood I've never lost recordings, despite many 'power cuts.'