Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky + Issue

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rookies, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Dont know if this has been mention but cant find anything about it.

My sky+ when in playback freeze and things goes tick tock so have to switch off and then on again then if I play a program again it freeze again it happens on a few programs. I rang sky up and all they said was they have to send some one out and with me being out of warrenty it will cost me in which I dont want to pay incase I can fix it myself. I honestly dont fancy paying anymore money to the greedy sky.

Any help here pls

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Tick Tock :)
    Sounds like the hard drive heads, might be worth buying another HD and installing it.
    Does sound a terminal program so it may just be worth doing a full system reset, nothing much to lose especially since your programs are not playing back correctly anyway.
    However is £65 for a call out which at worst will get you a refurbished SKY+ that bad compared to the cost of buying a HD yourself?

You might get some movement on the price of a call out if you ring to cancel stating the cost of replacement/repair is too expensive at this time, SKY could very well waive the fee.

3. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    i had exactly the same problem

the problem is in fact small fraction of a second losses in signal that then cause the playback of recordings to lock. this is because on signal 2 the siganl strength is not as high as signal and can drop alot leading to a loss in signal.

i switched the LNB cables going into the back to see if signal 2 was still weaker than signal 1 to see if it was the signal comming from the dish or a problem with the box. found it was the box. then i went to the services menu (services button 4, 0, 1, select) i did a full system reset and then went to option 1 LNB and switched all the ons to off then went back in and pressed the red button to reset LNB settings.

so far so good havnt had a recording lock up so far will keep you posted if it starts again. :)

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Thank guys

I have tried all the above and it varys it sometime freeze and sometime doesnt. I feel it is the signal and I am not prepare to pay alot of money to get this sorted. I am may try and take cable off dish cut it a bit and put the heads back on and put it back on dish without moving the dish and my strenght are very high most of the time and sometime the strength is not as high as signal.

I see what i can do any more advice?

5. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    i was told by the sky man that the siganl 2 on the box (the one that is recorded from most of the time) can become intermitantly faulty and in such a case the only remidy is to call them have an engineer come out and replace the box. mine has been sorted by the above tricks.

hope you can somehow get it sorted because i know how annoying this problem can be

6. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My box started doing this last night. Problem is once its frozen I have to reset the whole thing by unplugging. I have done the software upgrade - powering the box on whilst holding the back up button on the front, Sky + Planner rebuild and then a full system reset and still no joy. The full system reset is meant to erase anything in the sky planner and it did not. Think I am just going to buy a new box but will try the suggestions here and see what happens. I am sure its something to do with static as well. Just angry cause everything was fine until a few weeks ago when the planner was empty but showing that only 84% was available and they talked me through to ge this cleared and now I am having these problems.
    Am going to suggest to sky that they have caused the problem as they told me to do the rebuild and reset and things have only gotten worse.

Andy Cuthbert

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    I have taken a look at my mates on his signal 2 the top bar is nearly full the bottom bar is empty and his is fantastic I have a feeling when he had his set up the sky man made sure the bottom bar is empty so there be no problem as I believe if the bottom bar is more than the top bar record is no good

8. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I managed to delete everything in the Planner, do a Planner Rebuild then a full system reset and I have had no problems since. I also did a trick I learnt in the phone industry which is to kill the build up of static within the box - something that can also cause the bars on the Philips TV's and all seems to have worked so far. Sky told me that if you have one jumpy program recorded on the drive this can cause the whole thing to play up but some of my recording have some digital noise from the other night when the wind was howling but this has not caused it to jam up so far. If I have nay more problems will report back

Andy Cuthbert