1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY - Is there an OMBUDSMAN?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by windows, Dec 30, 2004.

1. windows

windows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I had SKY fitted just under three years ago, and recently I noticed mould growing on my wall and carpet behind the television from where the cable was drilled through my outside wall into the house. (my house is clean - honest! I don't pull my television out that often!). I have also noticed the walls are damp and beginning to swell, and skirting boards are coming away from the wall. My bookcase against the wall near the television is also starting to turn black, as I've pulled the books out to have a look. A fine mess!!!

Anyway, I contacted SKY who sent one of their employees out. When their CUSTOMER CARE didn't get back to me, I contacted them who told me that this was not a SKY issue as it should've shown up before now. Also, they say the box which covers the cable had come away from the wall and it wasn't their issue!!! This is where the water has been coming into my house!!!! My house is only four years old, and the damage is definitely caused through SKY'S installation.

I need to complain about this again, and was wondering if anybody else has had such problems. Also, is there an OMBUDSMAN I can contact regarding this? SKY don't seem to want to know about the problems caused, and the fact the guy they sent around to check this out is also employed by SKY can only give a biased view towards SKY. Any ideas on the way forward?

Thanks. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :lease: :suicide:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hi and welcome to the forum mate....... not sure there is an ombudsman as such but a call to your HOuse insurer may be in order... also to the builder of your property as you should have a warranty... if they confirm in writing that sky installation is at fault you will have more ammo that they should not be able to ignore....

3. windows

windows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. I know for a fact my insurance won't cover me for any type of damage caused by this (I work in Insurance). May be worth contacting the house builder if SKY continue to shirk responsibility of this though.

The annoying thing about this though, is that the guy had to come out TWICE, as the first time I wasn't here. SKY didn't bother getting back to me to let me know his outcome, so it was ME who ended up having to contact SKY about it - they then told me his report says the cover on the cable outside my house had come off but that wasn't their fault. I then had to call him back again to check out the damage on the INSIDE of my house - this was a few weeks ago and they STILL haven't got back to me.

Seems SKY only get hold of you when they want something....!! Grrr!!

Can't wait to get this sorted so I can cancel the whole lot and get NTL Digital!!

Thanks again.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No ombudsman since SKY was not created by the government nor does it need to pay multi million pound fees to the state to operate in the UK.

However they operate under UK law so court action can be taken but you will need solid proof (surveys, building inspection etc) to confirm the damage and with a professional opinion to the cause. You then will need to prove that the installation was faulty in the first place, that will be difficult especially as you probably signed off on the install and unless they state otherwise claiming for damage outside the warranty period is difficult.

When you get NTL make sure they give you a life time guarantee when they drill holes in your house otherwise we could be doing all this again in three years:)

5. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a mastic gun and seal the hole up on the outside.