1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + is making me ever so cross...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Greamec, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Got rid of my Amstrad with the vertical line problem now have a PACE.
    Tonight we went to watch a recording and the box froze, had to switch it off at the wall to get it back to life. Went back into the planner and everything had gone not just what I was trying to watch but all the films I had recorded as well.
    Whats going on ? :suicide:

Greame

[ensure language used meets forum rules-moderator]

2. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry :blush: Does anyone know what happened to my recordings?

3. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just tried to record somthing and it will not let me, comes up with a message telling me to ring sky.

I don't belive it !!!!

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    If you check your signal strength you will find that the second signal is compeltey blank.

First time we called Sky they did something that fixed this and we got all the recordings back.

Second time - I couldn't remember what I did and called Sky again. According to their 'records of the previous conversation' I had checked my cables and found it to be dis-connected (this I know is absolute cr*p). So they instructed to do a Full System Reset - this fixed our problem but wiped the entire HDD.

I think the first time we unhooked the cables from the back and re-connected (there was some turning the power off at the wall as well but do not know when). And this worked.

As the second time it happened we only had a few films on that were to be repeated on Sky - we just did the re-set.

It depends on how important the stuff is on the HDD as to which route to try.

The other issue is that it was a sign the HDD was knackered (a few other problems occured with recordings). The drive has been replaced and now (fingers crossed) everything it working.

Good luck

Scapegoat

5. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply scapegoat,
    I have just got of the phone to sky and have ended up doing a full system reset. When you say the hard drive was replaced who did that you or sky . How often did this happen to you, I am a bit concerned because the box has only been in a week. How long since it last happened?

Regards Greame

6. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got of the phone to sky, got to the stage now where the box will not record and they said they would send an engineer out. I explained that I would need a replacement PACE box as I have the vertical line problem with three amstrad boxes. I was told that they can not say which make of box I would get. So I asked to close my account and was told that I can not because I have only had Sky + for a month.

It seems that sky do not have anyone on the phone that can resolve my problem so I will send another email .

This is hard work, watch this space.

Greame

7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    This fault occurred twice in the 12 months we had the Sky+ box under warranty.

1st time was very early on when I was messing round with multiple recordings, trying to do 3 at ther box asked which to cancel. Think I pressed too many buttons at once and caused the system to crash.

2nd time was 3 weeks before end of warrenty, and a few recordings had started to be corrupt in the few weeks before that i.e. the picture would freeze whilst watching it and the time remaining would revert to the beginning. Going back to the sky planner and selecting different start minutes and ffwd and rwd meant you could eventually watch the bit.

It was doing this process that the system frooze again and developed the loss of 2 signal again. A full re-set fixed it, but I was led to believe from posts on hear that its a sign of drive failure.

So I decided to upgrade the HDD myself. Since then no problems. A friend took the old 40gb drive and put it in a PC and found some corrupt sectors and has (so far) managed to fix this with utilities programmes and its fully functional in his PC.

Whether this could them be put back in Sky+ and work? Probably but I now like the 160 gB drive too much to even try.

To have this fault so early on suggests a faulty box. You have got a new one and not a re-con one?

Wait for the "engineer" - don't try and get it working as if its working when he arrives then they will do nothing. I think that they just replace Sky+ boxes, but you may get a re-con one. Argue against this STRONGLY!

8. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scapegoat
    It was a recon box, so it must have a duff hard drive.

Have to see what sky come up with.

Greame

9. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get any more hassle write to james.murdoch@bskyb.com - provide the full story - just the facts. Make sure that the first line of the email says that you are writing to complain. Make it clear that your requirement is a working Pace box. He won't actually reply - he wouldn't get time for anything else if he did - but you should get a speciailist complaints team handling the response rather than just a Call Handler.

At the end of the day - if the Amstrad boxes worked in the first place you wouldn't have ended up in this position. As Sky must learn - one error leads to another. Must be costing them a bomb.

Roger

10. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Email sent , thankyou Rodger. I will let you know how it goes.
    regards Greame :smoke:

11. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roger it worked , I will spare you all the details but I was ready to close my account, the CS staff at sky are rubbish.
    Today I got a reply to my email from someone at Sky Exec Cust Enq replying on behalf of James Murdoch, and guess what nothing is a problem anymore they are getting me a new PACE box . Just like that, why did I have to go through all the agro ? he even said that he can not understand what the problem was with me wanting a PACE.

Thanks Mate
    Greame

12. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: Apologies

I am more than happy to move to a new thread if required....

13. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got an email telling me that a new PACE Sky+ box will be installed on Monday.

14. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent :thumbsup:

Roger

15. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My disk went just before xmas and i decided to upgrade to 250GB myself (was very easy) and since then i haven't had a single corruption (i was getting about 1 corruption a month). the new disk is also MUCH cooler. I think the 40GB disks they put in aren't any good, get too hot and then crash.

16. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes , I thought about it but it was a week old , maybe if the warrenty was out.
    Greame

17. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Greame,

I have read your saga with interest and am pleased you will now end up with a new Pace Sky+ box at last.

I had Sky+ first in February 2003 and had problems in August of that year (unable to record). Engineers came three times with replacement boxes all failed in a few weeks. One did 30 minutes after installation. These were Sky outside contractors and every one of them connected the "new" box and disconnected the
    old box whilst the television was showing a picture and the box was switched on. I mentioned that the manual states the mains power should be switched off if anything is disconnected but they said they knew what they were doing. I wonder if this is why there are so many "refurb" boxes. In December of that year I rang as the box had failed yet again. Since we have the full package the helpful technical Sky man said he would make sure I had a new Pace box. He was true to his word and a new Pace Version 2 Sky+ model was installed and the engineer said that all my replacements had been refurbished boxes. I pulled out the mains plug before he disconnected anything and reconnected the new box.

None of the refurbished boxes had a Sky+ manual with them but this one did; (I asked as my original manual had several pages missing). This is a good way of checking if it is a new box, there should be a manual and it should be pristine. This box has been almost trouble free and has a wonderful picture, better than the Pace V1.

You put up a good fight and only received what you should have had at the start, plus a few grey hairs into the bargain!

18. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cynthia,

I am waiting for Monday with fingers crossed, watch this space.
    best regards
    Greame :smoke:

19. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Engineer just rang about tomorrows call, and when I asked if he had my new PACE he said that he had not been told that was what I wanted. He said he would try and get one.

I dont belive it, what are sky on? :confused: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Greame

20. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last, I now have a brand new PACE box, and a full head of grey hair.

That was hard work

Greame :hiya:

21. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant news Greame. I thought I would wait until 6 p.m. to see whether they had come up with the goods and they have. I'm so pleased for you.

Yes, it was hard work on your part. I remember in 2003 I felt like screaming every time a box failed and I would have to complain once again. My husband is so disinterested in AV products so it's usually down to me to sort things out in that line.

I have to laugh at your "full head of grey hair". I've heard the expression "he went white overnight" due to shock, that's a new one for Sky!

Best Regards,
    Cynthia