SKY+ (Is it worth it????)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Moncs, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im going to be adding a second Sky digibox for secondary viewing within the next few weeks.

Sky currently install another box for £220 and charge £12 per month, however I was thinking about going for SKY+ @ £300 install and £15 per month.

Just wondered if any of you who have SKY+ think its worth the extra money.

Also apart from recording/pausing TV, is there any other major benefits?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be mistaken but I think you'll find that the Sky+ will cost you an extra £22 per month, not £15. This is made up of the mirror subscription at £12 and the Sky+ subscription at £10 per month.

On top of the £300 you will have to pay £50 for the installation of the quad LNB and extra cables.

DaveP

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    New digibox from SKY £215, installation £50 and the "mirror" subscription at £12 a month.
    SKY+ from SKY £300, installation £50, SKY+ subscription at £10 a month, then the "mirror" subscription at £12 a month.

If you have to watch two subscription channels at the same time then the cheaper option is a second standard digibox but if you want the hard drive recording and maybe DD5.1 capability then SKY+ is your only option.

You can get a FTV card instead of the "mirror" subscription but of course you can't get subscription channels with that.

4. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you ask me there's no contest, get the sky + ...Its awesome!

It *will* change the way you watch TV!! [​IMG]

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is true! I now watch a single channel (the Sky+ planner) and it only has programs on that I actually want to watch. Combine this with a good PC TV guide such as Digiguide and you are laughing.

There is something annoying about having to admit Sky have produced a winner! At least we can still feel angry about the £10 a month charge.

6. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    not wanting to pee on fireworks but
    wait till sky use nice little optional extra they forgot to tell u about
    its called program blocker, they have the ability to 'talk' to sky+
    and overrule your recording request, all u get is a not allowed to record this program sign !!
    buy a second digi box from bootsale/free ads (average cost £30)
    buy twin lnb (not quad as sky fits) fit ur self £not sure of cost less than £50
    get mirror subscription and use your vid to record what u want with 'macro****** remover' scart fitted £30
    wait till sky+ is available without monthly subscription
    lets face it theyre getting paid twice for everything as it is
    (subscription plus advertising fees) dont make it three times !
    that really would be money for old rope!

:devil:

7. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The technology in a sky+ box has been bought in to a large extent, and the ability to block a program is part of this tech. Sky have stated they will NEVER use this technology.

If you're going to worry about things like that then i suggest no one ever buys anything ever - what if sky go bust ? best not buy a digibox .... what if sony go bust ? best not buy a new tv.... etc...

Sky+ is a lot more that just having a second satellite feed, i could never ever go back to using videotape - i also don't really see the problem with the £10 subscription that some people have. If you don't want to pay it - then don't get sky+ - you do have a choice.

The craziest thing is when Tivo owners complain about the sky+ subscription fee. To many tivo owners it's okay to pay £10 a month to Tivo, but not to sky -why ? At the end of the day it still costs me £10 a month - i don't give a damn where it goes.

8. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here here hookbeak - couldnt have put it better myself - video is old hat - i literally havent used mine since i got sky plus - whats the point in using 20 year old technology?

Phil

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Yes I agree but what termonology do you use? It just does not seem right to say I think I will hard drive that program rather than I think I will tape that program :p

10. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just say record .;)