SKY+, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by l34052, Oct 26, 2005.

1. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I currently have a regular digibox and a panasonic dvd recorder for recording whatever i want to watch(obviously...duh :clown: ). Ive been thinking bout sky+ but what i would like to know is; is it really worth the outlay for a glorified digibox that records? Any opinions or comments would really be welcome :thumbsup:

Jay

2. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a love hate relationship with my SKY+, love it when its working, hate it when its not and it works more than not.

I moved on from VCR and it is so easy and pain free for recording.....as I said when its working!

3. gordnil

gordnil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I got sky+ , I had to explain to wife what use it was and how to try and use it ...now after a month or so she can record two progs at once and even knows how to watch them once she's done it.. I think it is a great system but does cost a tenner a month , but you dont need any tapes or discs although it does sometimes error and there aint nothin you can do about it..
    I'd say its worth it though...

4. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I've had Sky+ for about 18 months now and only had one problem during that time. Using series link to record everything I watch means that I choose my viewing from the personal planner when it suits me. I have also found that I can do more things out and about because I won't miss a program; I'm never putting something off because a particular program is about to start. I would say it has drastically changed the way I watch TV. I would recommend it.

5. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    It's only a tenner a month if your subscription costs less than £30 per month. Otherwise it's free. Apart from upgrading your box, of course.

6. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Firstly, its an extra few bob. If your doing alot of recording on DVD you'll probably be spending that anyways.

Secondly, it has its troubles. Very few though, live pause of recent times thats caused me very little worry.

Thirdly, I couldnt live without it at this stage. I really couldnt.

7. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Me neither, theyve drawn me me in...got me addicted... now im hooked...damn those sky people!

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I use Sky+ all the time and very rarely watch programs live any more. Most 1 hour programs can be watched in 45 minutes (or less) and I have series links set up so that I never have to bother setting recorders any more.
    For stuff that I know I want to dub to DVD I will quite often record this on my E85 HDD/DVD recorder from the normal Sky box as it saves having to copy stuff across at single speed.

9. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    its having its probs at mo but once uv got it ul find it very hard to going back without it.

what sky should do is give every customer a free trial for a month then if they want it they pay for the box if not they return it.

im pretty sure 80% would pay up

10. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nice idea but then there would be even more 2nd hand boxes given out to new customers when they are made out to be new.

Unless your box comes sealed at install and you see it being unwrapped then there is no guarantee you are getting a brand new box, and then if it faulty and they replace it , it will very unlikely you would get a new one.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Even with its faults, I would not want to be without it.

12. sbaddison

sbaddison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi.

I've had my Amstrad PVR3 for just over a week and appart from the ticking it does all the time, it's an excellent piece of kit. For digital sound alone (via optical & DD5.1 on 301,2 & 3) it's worth it :D

Cheers,

Simon

13. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you already have a premium package I'd say definately it's worth the outlay. That said we are without ours currently after the box died after three months!

14. ukhoe

ukhoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that you have to subscribe to SKY +.
    I currently have a 'normal' sky box with a card in it to view freeview channels. I'm in an area that is unable to pickup channels via a digi box. (used to have a Humax PVR for recording - now moved).

I know the other option would be to buy a dvd recorder with HDD.

Can anyone answer the Sky + question?

15. booyaka

booyaka
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    Quick answer is yes for me.

I have had Sky + for about 3 months (nice Pace v3 also - one of the first people to get one!) and i find it is great for hassle free recording of programs etc. No more fighting over the TV.

It would save the hassle of DVD's etc and expense of using recordable DVD's etc less hassle factor for you i would presume.

16. Caveman643

Caveman643

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    If you have 2 of the 4 premium channels in your Sky package there is no Sky+ subscription. The 4 premium channles are Sky Sports 1 & 2 plus Sky Movies 1 & 2.

17. Trustne1

Trustne1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That is the best part of it whizz straight through those adverts and add that time up to do something useful!
    Also series linking is really good only had a couple of problems with it.
    Live pause - better than on my HDD/DVDR because it is instant and seamless.
    It would be nice if there was a playback speed of 1.6x or 2x that included audio like on my PC TV card and the XS34 does 2x with audio.

Does this mean you have your SKY+ and old SKY box both together with the E85?
    Currently my SKY+ is downstairs with a newly acquired XS34, and the old box is upstairs in the bedroom.
    The standard SKY+ box can fill up quite quickly once you start using it a lot, I've had mine ten months before I finally caved in and bought an HDD/DVDR to archive things I want to keep. VHS just isn't good enough.

18. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    When SKY+ first came out I wasn't willing to pay £10 a month for the privelage. I also wanted a DVD player so I bought a Panasonic DVD/HDD player - a wonderful piece of kit that was such an improvement over VHS.

If you use series link and autoview, and leave the DVD player on the ext setting it automatically records everything like Sky+.

When SKy+ dropped the charge when you had the full package (which I did) I upgraded. Mainly for the 2 tuner functionality as I do not have any other source of TV pictures.

To be honest I have found it a big improvement over the HDD/DVD setup (especially if you put a bigger HDD in - 20 hours was too limiting for me).

Benefits over your current setup IMO:

1) The picture quality is as good as the XP mode on the Panasonic. XP mode didn't provide enough space on mine and I often had to use poorer quality modes (mine was an early model - so capacities have improved).

2) Having all you recoded programs titled on the Sky planner automatically. Rather than blank entires on the DVD/HDD or having the effort of typing names in all the times (have always foudn the responsiviness of the panasonic sluggish).

3) Being able to press the i button on recorded programmes (I record films and then forget what they are about) is very useful.

4) The two tuners makes life easier. Generally with the amount of repeats and +1 channels etc you can manage with the single tuner and a HDD/DVD but it does take effort trying to find when Enterprise is on again because you want to watch the football.

5) With a skylink and RF connection to another room you can watch the programs elsewhere easily. Even pause a program (live or recorded) and watch the end in bed if you are tired. Yes you can do this with various video-senders, but it is a simple solution.

6) The comments about never watching live programs, fast-fwd adverts, etc are all true. Even though the system is similar to what you already have, the ease of use makes a much bigger impact on viewing habits IMO. I spend less time watching TV than before, and when I do watch its always something I want to watch.

Some downsides.

1) You cannot timeslip fwd like you can with the panasonic. You have to use the 30x ffwd - I end up overshooting on a relevantly frequent basis. Timpslip 4 mins on the panasonic was a great feature.

2) I tend to build up a number of episodes of one program and then watch in bulk over a few days e.g. Lost, 4400 etc. This is great for continuity, but I also find that by the time I se a trailer for a film/new series that looks good I have already missed it (makes me wonder how good the Tivo 'predicti what you like system' was).

3) Its not 100% reliable. Though I have had it two years and its only truely let me down once. It failed to record a program when I was on leave and when I got back all the repeats had gone too. The odd occassion it does fail, you can pick it up again on BBC3, ITV2, second chance sunday, mix etc etc.

My advice - as long as you have/want the premium channels, its fantastic and worth it 100%. If not, I'd still say 70% worth it.

19. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Thanks for all the opinions and advice. Im still a little unsure though, i dont have the movies or sports channels so it would mean paying more each month for something that really, i dont want. If i want a film i buy it on dvd for the superior picture and especially sound. What are peoples opinions on the multi room offer? from what i can make out all i need to do is pay a tenner a month for a box upstairs and thats it, yes/no?? Would i need to pay a monthly fee to use the record features and take a premium subscription out?
    Sorry for all the questions but its always very confusing when dealing with sky tv.

Jay

20. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    No idea about the multiroom offer as I don't see any benefit from it (no kids :clap: ). I do think though to avoid the subscription you need premium channels.

I love movies and the thing I like about Sky is I watch loads of stuff (some great, some ok, some pants - lucky dip) that I would never go to the cinema or buy on DVD.

But many people don't want the premiums, and if you don't want sport or movie channels then I think you have to seriously consider whether £120 a year is good value.

To be honest it depends on how much you'd feel the £10 a month. If you can afford it, then go for one of the premium channels (or a mix - My Gran get Sports 1 and 3, Moves 2,4,6 and 8) and get the extra channels and Sky+.

For me its value for money - £126 a year (50p a month more than family pack) for Sky+ and 6 premium channels.

21. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I just pay for the standard channels plus movies 1 and 2 so am getting tw0 premium channels so do not have to pay the £10 a month, I have sky+ piped to all bedrooms and kitchen by way of cables and a four way loftbox and dont pay any multiroom premium, I only have the sky+ box and it feeds all the other TVs, its great, the mrs wanted to be able to lie in the bath and watch TV! but I pointed out that its not generally a good idea! so she can now see and hear a bedroom TV from the bath now!