1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ : Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Fordy, May 19, 2004.

1. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've been considering getting sky+ for a while now. But I dont think its worth the extra £10 per month. What are your opinions, convince me otherwise.

thanks

fordy :confused:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In a word,absolutely.

So easy to use,and to be able to record programs may seem like a gimmick initially,but once you've used it for a bit,you wonder how you did without it.
    Live pause is very useful also,so you can get the coffee etc without missing the action/film.

Highly recommended.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Totall agree with Alex. I have said before that I never used to record anything from tv..... since i got the sky+ box I have gained so much from being able just to record what i want at touch of a button.... until you actually have the option that you can record a primetime show and watch later (when the sun has gone!), you dont realise how fantastic it is!

ad

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Agree with everything said so far, it will totally change your viewing habits -one of the best (if not the best) bits of AV kit I've ever had.

John

5. UZUBAIRU

UZUBAIRU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ditto

Umu

6. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Agree with everything said so far!

It's fantastic, i took the plunge 2 weeks agao and loving it!

I never really had the chance to take advantage of my Sky Movies before but now i just check whats on and 'tape' anything thats remotely worth watching, its so easy you end up watching all sorts of things that you never would have before!

i have no regrets!

Rob :clap:

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Record only what you want to watch and watch it when it suits you... Particularly good for making the most of your film subscription... I also run a standard digibox for an extra £10 p/m so I can watch a third channel even if the Sky+ is recording two already... I actually watch less TV now, which is a good thing IMO...

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah..... you do alot less channel surfing when you are recording the stuff you actually want!

On a side note, its just a shame that no one makes a high end sky+ box :(

ad

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I paid the extra £10 a month for two years before the package deal was announced and if that hadn't been introuduced I would still pay the SKY+ sub since it is that good.
    You don't say what channel package you are on, do you know that the SKY+ fee is waived if you take two or more SKY premium channels?

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Agreed.
    I've always thought that SKY missed an opportunity to get a high end manufacturer involved in both SKY+ and the digibox.
    There are enough subscribers who would be willing to pay for higher spec hardware to justify the costs involved and as long as it was a unsubsidised offer then it wouldn't affect the deals with the standard box manufacturers or deals offered to new subscribers.

11. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    just the basic £19 package. I have 250 ish dvds so I dont need movie channels and sky sports isnt worth it for just football and golf.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Fair enough.
    Won't do any harm waiting if you have doubts now, I still expect some more movement on the price of the box and the monthly sub in the near future and they will do another SKY+ push on the run up to xmas.

13. family man

family man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had this installed myself (spend ages deliberating over it!!) and can honestly it is the most impressive piece of kit I have seen for quite some time!!

Well worth the money IMO!

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've had it about 18 months, it really does change the way that you watch television:

1) You are willing to try more different programs, as its so easy to record stuff
    2) Series links mean that you never miss (unless they fail, but thats only happened once to me, with smackdown) a series, even if it changes time and/or day
    3) You get to miss out all the adverts, this saves me at least 2 hours of pointless viewing time a week

it really is your own TV channel, you only watch the shows you want to watch, I think thats a hard concept to get over properly - without sky+ normally you'll end up watching something else after the main program has finished, or before it started, you don't do that with sky+.

15. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    ok, on the technical side, im convinced. but price wise i still think i'll wait a while. The way american tv is going, there wont be much left to record now angel, sex and the city, friends fraiser etc have gone...

16. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Get it, you won't regret it! & no ones mentioned FFwd, so I don't watch adverts as much now :clap: £10 pm extra for + is poor, but if you upgrade your package you'll not be obliged to pay this premium. Similar money - but more programs! (to record!) I wince every month at the cost of Sky, but + makes it more bearable. Did I mention not having to watch adverts?

17. jonjon

jonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ rocks!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously, you never have to remember to sit down at 9pm on a Wednesday night to watch that obscure docu-thingy you saw a trailer for on C4, just skip through the planner and set to record! The likelyhood is you would have forgot to watch it.
    Great to make use of film channels and stuff you never usually watch, and as someone else has said, you'll watch less junk because you don't surf and watch what you want to.

And how much satisfaction is gained by doing a X30 skip through all the ads? I've been waiting to do that for ever!

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,752
    I've had it for a couple of months now and there's no going back for me. It's just so easy to record and watch programs with great quality recordings. I've also started recording stuff that I couldn't be bothered recording before as I would have had to set the digibox and the video recorder up to do it. Now one press of a button and it will be recorded. If you don't like it - delete it.

19. DrOct

DrOct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it still £199 for the box