Sky into WinTV PVR-350, best connection method?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Durzel, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Durzel

Durzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before - I couldn't find anything specific about the subject.

I have recently bought a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 card with a view to recording/watching Sky TV through my box onto my monitor. Prior to buying the card I bought a 2nd hand Grundig GDS-3000 digibox, believing that S-video (of which the Grundig is one of the few Sky digiboxes to support it) offered the best possible picture quality.

Having now received the card I notice it comes with a SCART-to-Svideo & audio minijack cable, which presumably means I could use my original Amstrad DRX200 digibox (which only has SCART and RF outputs).

My question is this - which box is going to provide the better image quality? The Grundig - using Svideo-to-Svideo into the PVR card, or Amstrad using the SCART-to-Svideo/audio minijack? I basically need to decide which digibox I am going to hang on to.

Thanks,

Darren

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY hardware does not output s-video via the scarts so you need an actual convertor, the cable you have may just be wired so that you have scart on one end and s-video on the other so you are likely just to get a black and white picture.

Give it a go though, you don't lose anything:)

3. Durzel

Durzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point :)

Thanks for the feedback. I had a bad feeling it wouldn't be that simple which is why I bought a Grundig GDS3000 in the first place as it was the only range of boxes that I know of (short of Sky+) that have the S-video out.

Will try both boxes and sell on whichever one isn't up to the job :)

Thanks again. :smashin: