Sky into second room

Dragline

Standard Member
Hello,
We had sky installed yesterday and I would like some advice on best way to get it into another room.
The engineer said the new box installed has no rf out.
I was thinking of using a Hdmi splitter and running a hd cable between the sky box and the second tv as it would be preferable to have a hd picture.
Also the second tv is wall mounted so don't really want any boxes from a wireless sender receiver set up.
If I was to use hd cable set up I just wanted to check the sky signal would be strong enough to be split between 2 tv's simultaneously.
Also is there any way to chance the channel from the second room?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.

winston2010

He was not an engineer. Sky don't use engineers for this. He was an installer.

HDMI splitters don't seem to work too well with Sky boxes. A Separate modulator is the easiest way to go though you won't get HD on the second set

neilball

A decent HDMI splitter is not normally a problem when sending signals to two similar TVs. Distance may be a problem if the second TV is a long way from the Sky box/splitter, which means using an active cable (includes some electronics to deal with the extended length) or a set of HDMI-over-cat extenders. If you've never used any of this kit before then have a look in the HDMI sub forum for similar posts or talk to some of the assured advertisers who supply such kit for help in making sure it will all work well together (I can recomend HDAnywhere and Joe Fernand at The Media Factory).

If you don't want or need HD at the second TV then you can use a Global IO-link modulator which plugs into the 10pin mini din plug on the back of these newer Sky boxes, and this then replicates the functionality of the "missing" RF2 connection. See www.satbuyer.co.uk/global-io-link-modulator-p219.html for details.

beecee

Dragline

Standard Member
Thanks fellas for the advice.
The second tv is in a bedroom directly above the sky box in lounge so approx 4-5m away directly, cable would be roughly 6m.
Would be happy to accept no hd signal in second tv if the channel could be changed with remote.
If I got a modulator, would this then enable a magic eye to be used or would the modulator interfere with it?
Cheers again

logiciel

Yes, just get a suitable modulator, which is intended for use with a "magic eye" device.
Or - better - get a IR wireless videosender.

neilball

Thanks fellas for the advice.
The second tv is in a bedroom directly above the sky box in lounge so approx 4-5m away directly, cable would be roughly 6m.
Would be happy to accept no hd signal in second tv if the channel could be changed with remote.
If I got a modulator, would this then enable a magic eye to be used or would the modulator interfere with it?
Cheers again
If you are happy with an RF feed and magic eye control for your bedroom then just add the IO-Link and connect it to the second TV just like you would have done with the "normal" RF2 feed from an older Sky box and you are good to go.

logiciel

logiciel

There's just a chance (!) that he might not be 100% dogmatic about it.:confused:

Top Bottom