Sky+ Insurance - Worth it ?

se4me

Standard Member
I have been a sky customer for many years last year I upgraded to sky+ and have the Pace+ box.
A couple days ago Sky phoned and offerd my insurance for £60 on the box as my 12 months are up and my warranty has ran out.

What I wanted to know is it worth paying the £60,
or as my 12 month contract is over if I have future problems with my box
could I cancel my subcription and take out a new one and get a new box?
Thanks.

ijd

no it certainly is not, if you call for a service engineer they will charge £65 regardless of the fault,
if you subscribe to a premium package a threat of cancellation usually rewards you with a free repair,
at the very worst any faults you may get can quite easily be diagnosed through this forum, and second hand boxes or new lnbs ( the only things that really go wrong are easily and cheaply available from ebay

se4me

Standard Member
Im sure they said with the insurance you get an engineer call out the same day and no charge for the call out, im not certain about the call out fee tho.

How much is a new Sky+ box to buy? any ideas?

avinitski

or if the box breaks after the 12 month standard guarantee cancel Sky and get your partner to start a new contract so you get a new box.

SamRadford

Im sure they said with the insurance you get an engineer call out the same day

This is unlikely because:
a. They don't employ engineers - just installers and
b. it's usually several days before they'll get anyone out to you.

Are you certain it was BskyB offering you the insurance? There's a couple of companies that pretend to be Sky.

Cheapest new Sky+ box is about £130 plus carriage and VAT.
http://www.dastv.co.uk/ProductSearch.aspx?Category=144

But bear in mind that several repairers will fix a faulty one for around £50 by mail order (or call in if they are local). Google: Got a Sky Digibox fault?

se4me

Standard Member
This is unlikely because:
a. They don't employ engineers - just installers and
b. it's usually several days before they'll get anyone out to you.

They deffintley said same day call out

Are you certain it was BskyB offering you the insurance? There's a couple of companies that pretend to be Sky.

They said there from Sky but im not 100% certain now you mention that..!

Thanks for your advice guys, Dont think ill bother with there insurance I havent in the past was just thinking that this + box is abit more expensive
as you guys mention a threat to cancel or worst case SH box or even a repair.

GMT

THIS IS NOT SKY!!!!!!!!!

sky's extendend warrenty is from domestic and general insurance and yes all sky engineers will take a few days to come out to you.

08702 40 41 42 is domestic and generals number.

freeman

no it certainly is not, if you call for a service engineer they will charge £65 regardless of the fault,
if you subscribe to a premium package a threat of cancellation usually rewards you with a free repair,

Doesn't the £65 engineer visit still get you a recon box if your old one needs fixing then ?

ian-d

To be honest, for what you get and a poor 90 day warranty on a replacement, you will always be better going for a new digibox should it fail. Atleast this way you'll get a new box within a couple of days of ordering etc, not like waiting a week for a repair. Plus £60 each year would cost more than a brand new one with 12 month warranty which will no doubt last longer.

There are plenty of suppliers of Sky+ digiboxes, simplydigital, satone, insat etc if you want new with a genuine warranty!

rupees_al

better hope the dish doesn't move etc...

depends what they were offering in the cover for the year.

ian-d

Sorry, of course you need to factor in dish faults etc, but they don't fail as much as digiboxes IMHO

triplea4uk

It's a complete rip off my parents had it for 6 years.

You have the wrong price it's not £60.

£70 standard Sky Box
£100 Sky+

The price increases after the first year

They give you refurb boxes if your fails and can take upto 3 days to come out to you.

So really it's better to just pay a call out charge of £65 if it is something you can't sort out yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom