Sky Insurance Rip Off

THX1138UK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Auntie is having trouble with her Sky HD box. She can't receive any live TV (I've not seen it to do any fault diagnostics).

I have just discovered she and her late husband have been paying £16 a month break-down insurance for 8 years (that's £1,536). That's on top of the Sky subscription that she almost certainly doesn't need.

She called the company on 27th August to report the fault, and they've said no engineer is available to visit until 12 September!!
(This is the first time she has ever called them).

I don't yet have the details about whom the break-down insurance scheme is with - but to say I am furious is an understatement 🤬.

She said the person she was talking to had a very difficult to understand foreign accent - but that could be any company.

If you have elderly friends of relatives, please check they aren't paying extortionary rates for break-down insurance schemes they don't need.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
insurance is most likely with Domestic & General, and not sky.

I believe, at the time, Sky simply passed your details to D&G after your first year, and D&G call to ask if you would like insurance - it's not mandatory.

of course, with Sky Q it's no longer relevant as the box remains the property of Sky so any faults are fixed FOC, whereas previously the box belonged to you and as such any box repairs weren't FOC.

Is it definitely Sky Protect? That's currently listed at £9 a month ( Sky App ) and normally means much quicker call outs than that.

It's not worth having for the Sky equipment, but isn't bad value as cover for mobile devices and TVs.

I don't know if it's Sky Protect or something different.

Regards,
James.

Thats not too long a wait! When I called about my HD install I was told it would be over 4 weeks before I could get a visit. :facepalm:

Personally I think it is deliberate to get you to move to Sky Q. I would defo cancel the insurance asap.

At that price it's probably some dodgy third party. We always used to get people phone up about our Sky warranty, they were never from Sky. This is probably the likely scenario here.

Cancel the direct debit and phone up Sky.

Cancel the direct debi

poor advice.
cancelling a DD does not cancel any contract you have, it simply means that you stop paying and are likely to have any unpaid feeds recovered by whatever means the company sees fit.

I don't know if it's Sky Protect or something different.

Regards,
James.
Probably something different. Using Sky Protect usually get an engineer out within 48 hours of logging the problem with them.

Probably something different. Using Sky Protect usually get an engineer out within 48 hours of logging the problem with them.

Sky Protect actually is Domestic & General. it's not a product owned or run by Sky.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom