• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky insurance rip-off

drewhuge

Standard Member
Just had an interesting conversation with my father. He's got Sky+ with all movies and sports channels. For the past week, he's been unable to get a picture before 4pm. He called to complain, and Sky told him his signal was weak (they couldn't explain why it was weak in the daytime, but not at night), and then attempted to sell him their box insurance. He said no but, strangely, his picture was fine the next day. He spoke to his neighbour who has also had an absence of picture in the daytime (they have separate dishes, however) and she was also offered insurance when she called to complain.
Has anyone had a similar experience, or is just a strange coincidence? Even if it is, it seems rather unethical to attempt to sell insurance to customers who are actually calling about a service problem! I'm sure the actual price of this insurance - around £9 a month to insure a box that doesn't cost very much - has been extensively discussed elsewhere, but it would be rather disturbing if - as one could easily suspect - Sky were weakening signals to certain areas in order to get people to buy an insurance they don't really need or to get them to upgrade to HD.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Its more likely that both have slightly off centre dishes and they need re-aligning, its more common for signal to disappear at night. SKy don't control the actual satellite they buy transponder bandwidth off a comapny called SES Astra who run the actual sats in space

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Past couple of days?

Heat problem affecting the alignment of the dish(es)?

I would get your father and neighbour to negotiate a "deal" with a reputable installer to check the alignment of both dishes. (On a hot day)

Last edited:
Past couple of days?

Heat problem affecting the alignment of the dish(es)?

I would get your father and neighbour to negotiate a "deal" with a reputable installer to check the alignment of both dishes. (On a hot day)

A reputable installer is here ready and waiting 0800 0845 187 ill do them a deal realign one get one done free :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom