sky installers!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cat777, Dec 21, 2006.

1. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well been let down again today by a firm called COBRA who were booked by sky to come out and relocate my dish. i have had five service calls booked for this particular problem over the last two weeks.
    this is the third time no one as shown up, even worse they are supposed to ring you between 8.30 & 9.30 with a estimated time of arrival. not one phone call, when you ring sky, they put you on hold while they ring this firm, but always come back with a excuse that they cant get through!! and say that some on should turn up.
    As of now i have another service call booked for saturday, this will be the 6th time of trying, in the meantime i have had no sky for nearly a month now.
    On the two occasions when a engineer came, they both realigned it, but not long after the slightest bit of wind the dish moved out of signal again. Hence why i want it moved, because it is on a t&k brackett stuck right out in the elements, and is easily moved.
    Has any one on here got any advice on what to do next? fed up now.:lease:

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    Email [email protected] and tell him of your problems - he'll get things sorted out for you.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Mighty Gaz

Mighty Gaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol you dont really think he reads those emails do you? they dont go to him!

4. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well what advice would you give? i take it you work for sky? do you get a lot of problems with these contractors like i have? :mad:

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    No, but they are read by people who get complaints sorted out, as many people on these forums will confirm.

Cheers,

Martin.

6. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The sooner Sky stop using big contract companies the better - If only they would go back to the days when they gave sole traders the work directly.

The problem here is so simple but noone at Sky seems willing to acknowledge the problem. A subbie gets on average £10 for a service call (after the contract companies cream off the other £15 + vat of the money that Sky have worked out the job needs to be paid - YES Sky pay only £25 + vat for a service call !). So an installer turns up and already the job is (in this case move the dish) going to make that installer a loss and no profit (if he has to use new bolts and cable to re-cable the job). That is why no subbie wants to complete your job and you can understand why now you know the facts.

So what Sky SHOULD do on your job is to send a SKY ENGINEER around to do the job because he doesn't have to pay for cable, fittings, bolts clips etc. I have experienced your exact same story 4 times this month alone.

The best thing you can do is to go independantly to a satellite installer and pay him to move the dish. Then ask Sky to re-imburse you the money it cost you in the form of a few months half price etc subs.

Cheers, Franc

p.s. when fitted correctly a T&K fixing should not be a problem even in high winds but I've noticed a lot of dishes on very small diameter tubing recently. Personally I use 2" tubing (similiar size to scaffolding).

7. ruthiebabie

ruthiebabie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cobra were my installers - rang at 8.30am to say they were on their way - arrived at 6pm with a ladder too short which they balanced on my plastic recycling crate (no word of a lie) to put the dish on the outside whilst the guy inside drilled through the inside wall and straight through my alarm system. They were a nightmare and it took months to rectify the situation with Cobra even denying it was them that did the job.

I wouldnt wish those cowboys on my worst enemy.

8. cat777

cat777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the information franc, it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head!! the last installer who came out who was booked to move the dish, took one look and started making excuses, saying he could not remove the T&k brackett, cos the holes were the bolts would be removed, would get water in!! plus he said he was not supposed to drill into the cladding on the walls! he actually phoned is manager and explained to him what was going on, and he in return said turn the job down, so of he went, but he did say ring sky and get them to send one of there own sky installers out. so i was on to sky again, who just booked another service call which by this time was the 5th and asked them to send one of there own installers out, but they said they could not untill i had six strikes for this problem! then if it was not sorted, then one of there own engineers would come out. What a carry on just to get a dish relocated!!
    well tomorrow the 23rd i am expecting a installer to come out and move my dish, hopefully it will be done, but will not hold my breath.
    As regards the t&k brackett who these contractors fitted, and charged me 30 quid for it, it does seem rather flimsy, and is not very secure on the u bolts that hold it, even though they tighten them up after every visit, it still manages to move out of signal with slightest bit of bad weather.
    In the meantime i have always been very polite and not lost my temper with sky, despite all the phone calls, all the wasted time i waited for these installers to come, its just been one long battle. But if it is not resolved tomorrow, then i will have no option to cancel my subscripition. but i should not after do this, as i need sky tv.

9. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You didn't read my post I guess - Cobra mainly sub contract the work out so it's probable that they didn't fit it as they said. They do have a few in-house installers but they like Sky prefer to just pass on the work to another company. It's a pity you didn't take a picture of them on the crate - H&S would love to have seen that one :D

This passing of jobs from company to another has got to stop - it is not good for the installers (most of which have quit to go fit aerials or dishes independantly - thats why there are so many no-shows at the moment) and is definitley not good for the customer. Sub contractors are paid so little that it is very hard for them to do the job to the highest quality. Quite often non-qualified or very inexperienced installers are knocking on your door.

:lesson: If Sky gave sole traders work in our own postcode then quality & service would improve drastically. You would have the same qualified engineer for good who could get to the root of your faults much more effectively than seeing engineer after engineer.

Cheers, Franc

10. Mighty Gaz

Mighty Gaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed. i just wanted to point out that it is not actually james who reads them. some seem to think it is.