SKY Installers..wot a shower

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Reaperman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Reaperman

Reaperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had the SKY installers turn up today [3.00pm] to install SKY+...:)
    It started well as they even had the PACE PVR I hoped for but..

it wasnt all plain sailing......:eek:

First of all the one installer went up the ladder to run a secondary coax from the existing dish....I had to mention several times that I wanted the scond run to be as close to the existing one......did he get it right....NO
    So he had to unclip several cable clips and relay...

Next the second guy couldnt get a SKY+ picture to appear......needless to say he was trying to connect my Pio/DVDR and the new PACE PVR up and he got the SCARTS mixed up......

I also mentioned that I had a TvLink in the Kitchen so could they activate the RF2 connection.......Yep no probs m8 was the reply....

I then had to pop out for 10 mins.......which was fatal.....

Got back to find them both sat in their van waiting to get off....
    We went back inside as I wasnt about to sign off on something that I hadnt seen completed.....

These guys had left all the packaging strew around in the lounge.....they hadnt even swept up the crap that was left behind once that had drilled a new hole in the wall for the second feed....

No TvLink setup in the Kitchen....:mad:

Worst of all they wanted me to sign without even a run thru of how the system worked....

Oh..they had even left the Pio media box balanced precariously ontop of the PVR.....:(

To be honest I could have made a real fuss about these issue.....I may even contact SKY, but by this time it was nearly 4.00pm and I just wanted them out.

Now I know I only paid £65 for the PVR and thats it but I would have expected a certain level of workmanship.......

It doesnt really inspire me to move up to HD if this is the level of service that is given....:mad:

Personally, I think these guys just wanted to leg it...it was late on a Friday afternoon and they had a 100 mile trip home....

2. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,936
    sorry to here about your experiences reaperman. sky generally just use local sub contractors to actually fit sky (ie.. aerials are us). they just dont give a toss. i had a similar experience when i had sky plus fitted. but i refused to let them leave or sign anything till it was right they moaned alright. but i said...hey if you cant do it right just dont bother...and watched them very carefully during fitting.....ur right though....doesnt inspire HD fitting and you gotta remember that is a new fitting process...wonder if they have any training in either customer care or fitting techniques!!!!!:thumbsdow

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    well i think i would of wanted to get away on time as well, so you popped out for 10 mins, I wonder just how long they waited in their van,
    I refuse to let people "POP OUT" when i am at an appointment and would insist on a rebook, i would certainly loose interest as the client isnt that bothered to hang around, and why demo it or clear up, you also have more important things to do.
    I can feel no sympathy for you, you should of been there to supervise, you only have yourself to blame:thumbsdow

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    You guys are supposed to be "professionals", you don't need supervision or do you. :rolleyes: Personally I wouldn't have popped out for 10 mins, there's now way I would leave a stranger in my house will I'm not there, but that doesn't excuse these guys not clearing up after themselves.

5. Reaperman

Reaperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Perhaps I should have said that I HAD to pop out to collect my kids from school....I could hardly leave them hanging around ...the fact that I had to leave them for 10 mins out of 60 is hardly giving them cause to loose interest and quite frankly I dont like your tone or attitude mate you have made an assumption without knowing all the facts

Given the guy rang me at 8.20 am to say they would be with me between 12.00 and 15.00...I had also taken a day off work to be at home ALL day... I suggest they were taking the **** by turning up at 15.00.....they had themselves to blame and not me.....

6. Reaperman

Reaperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Totally........

They weren't alone as my other half was present just to keep an eye on them but wanted me to ensure that they had done a PROFESSIONAL job

Agree Again....I thought that this was part of the install agreement...

"Leave it as you found it" so to speak....;)

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    firstly i dont work for sky or a cable company,but it is not nice when someone wants to pop out and leave you in there house,the implications are horrendous, make alternative arrangements to pick the kids up,i would not trust anyone in my house that i do not know,firstly your insurance will be void if something goes wrong,secondly if something gets damaged you wont have a leg to stand on, and if you think you can take advantage and leave a stranger in that position you desrve to be turned over....just my opinion though:hiya:

8. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    dont understand why otherhalf didnt get the kids or allow them to leave your place in this state.
    as far as being proffessional and not leaving place in a mess,your quite right it is wrong and unproffessional,But if you do not assert the type of job you want you will not get it,
    As for a zombie turning up,well he wouldnt get past my door,A few minuites sussing the guy out is much easier than having a botched job put right.

9. Reaperman

Reaperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The reasom I had to collect was that the other half is recovering from a nasty foot infection and could not drive......Mate If I could have stayed I would have....

Why.....I would expect a level of service that these guys sign up too....I or anyone should not have to assert the type of job as it should be expected as a minimum......Where are the standards here..:mad:
    Um....so you take ppl at face value do you.....

So if the guy had turned up smartly suited and booted, politely shook your hand.....that makes him a good installer does it....

Sorry m8 yer living in a dream world...

I would expect any installer to have a certain level of skill and competance....if they dont they will be out of work very quickly....

I must have just drawn the short straw with these guys but it leaves a bitter taste and a lasting impression.

10. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    it does sound like you were unlucky,
    i never take people on face value but a few well guided questions will always enlighten to such things as attitude and techniacal know how,sure this is no guarantee of work skill but you have to start somewhere,
    "alrite mate come to sort out ya sattelite" I wouldnt let him accross the threshold. before he started i would take a bit of time to suss him out
    I have had three different installers at various times and all have been first class,
    I expect proffessionals and if the actions of a proffessional is not evident to start with, then they dont start.
    It is a shame you have been left with a bitter taste,after all the whole experiance is about enjoying the whole package....including install.