Sky installer - new to forum

FRANTIC FRANC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, name is Franc and I've been a satellite installer for about 20 years & doing Sky digital since it came out. I don't know much about how these forums work but I will be on-line all night if anyone has problems :mad: then maybe I could give some advice. Cheers, Franc :thumbsup:

posted a reply on your thread -- maybe it will help you, what make is your digibox?

Too right, better stay online 24/7:D :D :D

Franc,

The box is a Thomson DS141214C, only had it under two weeks. I have tried numerous TV/Scart lead connections. I suspect it may be something to do with interactive because when I press the red buttton they change to black for a short time when I come back from interactive they stay that way till I change channels :confused:

Nobody has problems with Sky TV surely ;) I hate them as much as you lot :D
Only joined the forum because I need help with my Philips TV :rolleyes:
Cheers, Franc

FRANTIC FRANC said:
I hate Thomson!! We have loads of these returned, there was a problem with software on the sound last year and updating the box rarely cured the fault. Try the force download and hope for the best. Personally I would book the service call as I would rather have a refurb (if you're lucky a you may get a Panasonic or Sony) than a new Thomson. Cheers, Franc

Thanks Franc,

Have tried force download three times without luck!

I will give Sky a call tomorrow, so you reckon there's no chance of any kind of new box?

If your install is less than 12 weeks I believe that you are intitled to a brand new digibox as a replacement. This does not include moving home or service replacements mind. If the operator on the other end of the phone is arkward ask to speak to a supervisor or better still customer care support, threaten to cancel as a last resort and they usually pass you on to a CC team member. The way to tell a refurb is that it usually comes in a plain cardboard box without cables & rcu and will maybe have a red sticker on the cardboard. Cheers, Franc

Thanks for all the help Franc.

I'll give my local independant a call (who fitted it) and see what they say before I call Sky.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Franc,

I callled my local company who sorted ordering/fitting it (www.new-channels.com)

They have done really good work in the past fitting aerials etc. From what I can see the box is new because the box has Sky writing all over, it was sealed and everything was sealed up when he took it out.

Am I right in saying they place an order with Sky, then Sky sends a quantity of boxes allocated to them in batches or something???

p.s mods please delete web site address if it isn't allowed

What usually happens if he is an ASA is that they buy, fit & cover the whole lot for 12 months themselves. Nothing to do with Sky except the card that is in your box which you pay direct to Sky. They will claim the cost of the box back to Sky and usually get a small commission for getting a new subscriber. So the box is not Sky's box and as such they will not cover it as that falls on the ASA. If however you have problems in the future they will probably help you out with a free service call just to keep you subscribing. Like I said Sky standard installs use the new flow stb's, the model you have may have been new but old on the shelf if you know what I mean. Cheers, Franc
p.s. ask them if they have a Panasonic instead!

FRANTIC FRANC said:
What usually happens if he is an ASA is that they buy, fit & cover the whole lot for 12 months themselves. Nothing to do with Sky except the card that is in your box which you pay direct to Sky. They will claim the cost of the box back to Sky and usually get a small commission for getting a new subscriber. So the box is not Sky's box and as such they will not cover it as that falls on the ASA. If however you have problems in the future they will probably help you out with a free service call just to keep you subscribing. Like I said Sky standard installs use the new flow stb's, the model you have may have been new but old on the shelf if you know what I mean. Cheers, Franc
p.s. ask them if they have a Panasonic instead!

Cheers mate will do, I'll let you know what happens :smashin:

Just to let you know, the same independant came out who fitted it, and yes he had never seen anything like it either!

I have a new box! :)

It's a new Thomson :(

Tough luck :thumbsdow. I guess he smiled at the request for a Panasonic then?! :rotfl:
The only similiar thing I guess I've seen is on some old Grundigs where a frozen screen picture (from some channel in it's history) is briefly flashed on the screen during menu presses! could be embarrasing if the customer has been watching certain late night entertainment LOL ;)
Cheers, Franc

Dear Franc
I have Sky+ in my lounge. I have purchased a new plasma for the lounge and wish to move my old CRT to the conservatory. I have a spare digibox and old sky card. What are the cables and plugs I need to connect the minidish to the sky box without going for sky multiroom. where can I buy such equipment from?Thanks.

All you need is CT100 or compatible cable such as h109f. The main thing to look for is that the braid and foil are copper not aluminium. 2 correct sized f connectors on each end of the cable will finish the job! All you have to do is connect one end of the cable to one of the spare lnb outputs (they just screw on like on your digibox) and the other to the spare digibox. The old card may get you a few extra channels but if it doesn't bring up C4 & C5 then just buy a freesat card from Sky (they are not expensive just a one of payment and should last a goo few years)
Cheers, Franc

Hi Franc

I had Sky + installed yesterday - I'm perfectly happy with it but I appear to have been given an 80GB box - I thought they were 160Gb now?

Is that right? or should I complain to see if I get a bigger one?

Thanks in advance

Hi Franc. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me? We have a bog standard digibox in the main living room. Myself and my brother want to get Sky+ in our own rooms. Will Sky provide an octo lnb or will I have to buy it? How many multiroom subs will we need? I heard a Sky+ sub is free with a premium package (which we have) but I'm guessing this is just the Sky+ features and we will still need 2 multiroom subs? Any info you could give would be great. (your gonna regret ever registering here :rotfl: )

Thanks

Sky will give you the octo LNB but you must tell them that you need one when you order. You can both have Sky+ boxes in your rooms at a cost of 10 p/m each on top of the normal subscription. The recording facility will be free on both boxes for you both.
If you live we parents (I'm assuming) then the hardest thing for you both is to get them to agree to having telephone wires around your skirting boards and door frames (all 3 boxes need to be connected to the SAME telephone number). The best thing to do is to put the telephone wires in yourself under the carpets etc.
Cheers, Franc

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yep thats what I expected. I ordered it earlier & made sure he put a note on the computer about the octo lnb. thought it would be extra so it was a nice surprise when he said it was all included in the install.

If you live we parents (I'm assuming) then the hardest thing for you both is to get them to agree to having telephone wires around your skirting boards and door frames

yep 22 and I still live at home :suicide:

Gonna have a go at putting in some extensions to keep it as tidy as possible.

Thanks again

I would still ask the installer if he has the LNB on his van when he rings in the morning though. If he hasn't then there is no point in him turning up :thumbsdow if he is at the depot he can obtain one:smashin:
Cheers, Franc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom