Sky installer - new to forum

I already have Sky+ around the house by just connecting the RF2 to the return. the main isue for me wanting my system back to the way it was is i no longer seem to be getting a response via the RF1 port from my amp. This powered the signal for the digital tuner in the tele so now this no longer works. Also since th upgrade i get exagerated shhh noise when people speak on the TV on the return feed. i have tested with both RF2 power on and off. and re-tuned the tv. still the shhh nosies appear making speach very distored.

also the TV link does not let the remote respond unless RF2 power is on, even though it is receiving power from the amp?? This was not an issue before SKY+.

Have you any suggestions for these issues??

Thank you for your last comments.:)

Stephen

I already have Sky+ around the house by just connecting the RF2 to the return. the main isue for me wanting my system back to the way it was is i no longer seem to be getting a response via the RF1 port from my amp. This powered the signal for the digital tuner in the tele so now this no longer works. Also since th upgrade i get exagerated shhh noise when people speak on the TV on the return feed. i have tested with both RF2 power on and off. and re-tuned the tv. still the shhh nosies appear making speach very distored.

also the TV link does not let the remote respond unless RF2 power is on, even though it is receiving power from the amp?? This was not an issue before SKY+.

Have you any suggestions for these issues??

Thank you for your last comments.:)

Stephen

Can't say for sure without seeing the setup but what I can say is - if the original box when placed back into it's original position restores it all back to normal then there can only be a fault with the new box's RF modulator.

Cheers, Franc

I tried to record two things on sisters Sky + one thing taped ok other one taped bits with it kept saying viewing no signal then carried on so it appears it is a fault with the 2nd feed. I bet there will be a massive wait to get them out to look at it shame as she wanted it for christmas.

I tried to record two things on sisters Sky + one thing taped ok other one taped bits with it kept saying viewing no signal then carried on so it appears it is a fault with the 2nd feed. I bet there will be a massive wait to get them out to look at it shame as she wanted it for christmas.

Is the box an Amstrad by any chnce?! You could try a force update and see if the problem is cured.

Cheers, Franc

No its not a Amstrad its a Thomson like I say signal is there although very low sometimes but keeps dropping out tried changing leads and inputs to make sure not the box but does appear to be fault with dis/lnb or the switch in cupboard feeding the apartments just annoying ascant record anything as just get bits of programmes. One thing also i thought may work but doesnt is if say i left the box on bbc 1 but wanted to record sky sports put the box on standby so last tuned channel being bbc it wont record the sport even though box is in standby i thought it would as its off would only be using 1 feed.

No its not a Amstrad its a Thomson like I say signal is there although very low sometimes but keeps dropping out tried changing leads and inputs to make sure not the box but does appear to be fault with dis/lnb or the switch in cupboard feeding the apartments just annoying ascant record anything as just get bits of programmes. One thing also i thought may work but doesnt is if say i left the box on bbc 1 but wanted to record sky sports put the box on standby so last tuned channel being bbc it wont record the sport even though box is in standby i thought it would as its off would only be using 1 feed.

All you can do is get the company out who installed to check the connection/equipment.

Cheers, Franc

The new extras prices are out, free for customers but we are getting shafted as normal. :mad:

Hi,

Double post but you may be able to help so sorry :)

Are there test patterns broadcast on any channels? I want to set up my PC capture card properly.

Regards

Chris

Franc,

Hopefully you can help with this before I have to spend ages on the phone to sky. Got SKY+ in one room and SKY HD in the other. The SKY HD picture is very blocky on certain channels (SKY Sports HD, Sports SD, SKY 2). In fact it seems to be most of the subscription ones. The SKY + one is not displaying any channels at all. Just says there is a technical fault. The deterioration on the picture on the SKY HD box has gradually increased over the last few days. We don't use the sky+ as often so it may also have been deteriorating but it's not working now.

Both signal strengths are down from their normal levels and locked. I think it points at a cabling or LNB problem but I'm not sure. This was a new install from SKY only a couple of months ago. We've had huge amounts of rain since then and I'm wondering if water ingress is the problem.

Any thoughts?

It's hard to say for sure without putting my meter on your cables.

What you need to do is swap the boxes over and see if the fault is swapped via the feeds. Obviously if the Sky+ works on the HD's feeds then you know for sure you have a LNB or cable fault.

The blockiness of your HD picture could be the TV or the settings you have it on - Are you using a HDMI lead or composite?

Cheers, Franc

Franc,

Tonight the HD box is fine and after rebooting the SKY+ again tonight this is also fine.
HD box is connected via HDMI to Panny PX60 and has been absolutely spot on previously it's just been the last few days and last night was terrible. Sky+ has also been fine since install.

Tried rebooting a few times last night but the SKY+ just kept saying a technical fault has occurred and wouldn't bring anything up. It wasn't the usual no signal being received. I'll swap them over if it occurs again and see what happens.

I must admit my first thought with problems on both was an issue with the dish, lnb or cables.

What you need to do is swap the boxes over and see if the fault is swapped via the feeds. Obviously if the Sky+ works on the HD's feeds then you know for sure you have a LNB or cable fault.

The blockiness of your HD picture could be the TV or the settings you have it on - Are you using a HDMI lead or composite?

Cheers, Franc

Cheers, Franc
Hi franc

wonder if you can help with my problem

I gave just bought a 2nd hand Pace V1 SKY + box which had a sdi digital output fitted to the box installed by PJ hifi. This mod allows a digital video feed to be sent from my sky+ box to my dvdo video processor then to my plasma screen.

I installed the box on wednesday taking out my normal functioning pace v2 box.

After some downloading from sky to get the sky + System functioning, i settled down last night to try everything out.

The fist thing i encountered was that i had audio drop outs of 2 seconds every 10 seconds from the optical output, via the dvdo to the plasma via hdmi. I never had this on my v2 box.
Strangely when listening via optical via dvdo to my amp and hifi, there are no problems.
I have currently connected the analogue outputs to the dvdo and this has cleared this but the whole scenario seems very odd!!!!

Secondly and more of a problem i am experiencing blocking/ freezing up of the picture when watching a recorded programme or pausing and watching once pressing play again.

the normal live picture is fine

I have carried out two hard disc reboots and two system reboots as described by sky and although this seems better, the problem still exists.

do you or any one else please have any thoughts???????????

I have spoken to SEC consultants who dont think it is a hard drive problem. They have advised swopping my v2 hard disk over to the v1 player is this a good idea????

Please help

Regards

Neil

Hi franc

wonder if you can help with my problem

I gave just bought a 2nd hand Pace V1 SKY + box which had a sdi digital output fitted to the box installed by PJ hifi. This mod allows a digital video feed to be sent from my sky+ box to my dvdo video processor then to my plasma screen.

I installed the box on wednesday taking out my normal functioning pace v2 box.

After some downloading from sky to get the sky + System functioning, i settled down last night to try everything out.

The fist thing i encountered was that i had audio drop outs of 2 seconds every 10 seconds from the optical output, via the dvdo to the plasma via hdmi. I never had this on my v2 box.
Strangely when listening via optical via dvdo to my amp and hifi, there are no problems.
I have currently connected the analogue outputs to the dvdo and this has cleared this but the whole scenario seems very odd!!!!

Secondly and more of a problem i am experiencing blocking/ freezing up of the picture when watching a recorded programme or pausing and watching once pressing play again.

the normal live picture is fine

I have carried out two hard disc reboots and two system reboots as described by sky and although this seems better, the problem still exists.

do you or any one else please have any thoughts???????????

I have spoken to SEC consultants who dont think it is a hard drive problem. They have advised swopping my v2 hard disk over to the v1 player is this a good idea????

Please help

Regards

Neil

The Pace PVR1 isn't as good as the Pace PVR2 - can't you just swap the mod from the PVR1 to the PVR2?

Cheers, Franc

hu Franc

no unfortunately not. The mod could only be done to v1 boxes as in the v2 the type of chipset changed and made the mod impossible.

Any thoughts on why im getting this problem, any other resets?

Regards

Neil

you could try disabling the instant rewind - if it makes a difference then switch over the HDD's.

Cheers, Franc

Hi Franc

tried turning off instant rewind, still no good. Ispected both dish feeds and found one with a potential short fixed this but still having problems.
audio drop out still there although picture deosnt freeze as much.

i have also forced a software update as well.

any more thoughts please???????

Neil

Frank

I have 2 questions for you, if you have time.

1) I have a normal sky box and subscription. Would I see any advantages from getting a sky+ box on my current subscription. Sounds a daft question, but I've been offered one cheap.

2) I have a tv with an intergrated sky decoder. A while ago whilst watching sky the tv went bang and there was a ticking noise. I tried turning off etc but to no avail. After much debate with sky, they provided me with a new box and installation. The guy who installed the new decoder, could not get a signal and ended up renewing the entire dish. When I told him of the tv just going off while watching sky his reply was "Your skys gone and probably taken out your t......." He stopped himself before finishing the sentance. When I quizzed him about the possibility of the sky issues cause damage to my tv he said he couldn't answer. Is there any chance when the sky packed in it damaged the tv?

Thanks in advance.

I have a normal sky box and subscription. Would I see any advantages from getting a sky+ box on my current subscription. Sounds a daft question, but I've been offered one cheap.

You're right..it is a daft question :D
You do know that you can record using Sky+?...record two different channels at the same time as watching one you recorded earlier?...the only disadvantages are it costs a tenner a month extra unless you already subscribe to a premium package...and you need another downlead from the dish and possibly a quad LNB.

Is there any chance when the sky packed in it damaged the tv?

What's the make/model no of the TV?

Frank

I have 2 questions for you, if you have time.

1) I have a normal sky box and subscription. Would I see any advantages from getting a sky+ box on my current subscription. Sounds a daft question, but I've been offered one cheap.

2) I have a tv with an intergrated sky decoder. A while ago whilst watching sky the tv went bang and there was a ticking noise. I tried turning off etc but to no avail. After much debate with sky, they provided me with a new box and installation. The guy who installed the new decoder, could not get a signal and ended up renewing the entire dish. When I told him of the tv just going off while watching sky his reply was "Your skys gone and probably taken out your t......." He stopped himself before finishing the sentance. When I quizzed him about the possibility of the sky issues cause damage to my tv he said he couldn't answer. Is there any chance when the sky packed in it damaged the tv?

Thanks in advance.

Your Goldstar TV was designed to have Sky digital intergrated so I doubt that it had much to do with it - after all I've seen these TV's work normally even with the Sky combi not functioning.

Yep go for the Sky+ but you'll need another feed from the dish if you want to record 2 channels at once.

Cheers, Franc

Hi Franc,

Wondering if you could offer some advice please?

My Mother-in-Law said that her Sky box was not working. I went round with a spare box I had after getting Sky+. I checked her dish and lnb which didn't seem to have moved and the cable was connected OK. Her box was showing "no satellite signal being received". No channels were available. I checked the signal strength screen and nothing was showing on the strength or quality bars. The Network ID and Transport Stream were showing "0000", not sure if that's of any relevance though.

I swapped the box for my spare one. When I checked the signal strength and quality they were on about 3/4, but when I tried to access channels - nothing. "no satellite signal being received" still displaying. (Network ID & T/Stream were also showing "0000").

I phoned Sky and they talked me through an lnb reset, but this didn't solve the problem. They said an engineer was required.

Is it of any significance that my box showed a good signal strength, yet the MIL's showed no signal strength? Surely this means the dish and lnb are OK? But if that was the case, why couldn't we receive any channels?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Phil.

You need to get the card paired to the box that you took round. I take it you didnt tell Sky that you were not using the original box the card is paired too.

Nickp.

You need to get the card paired to the box that you took round. I take it you didnt tell Sky that you were not using the original box the card is paired too.

That is not the problem...he would not have the "No Satellite Signal is Being Received" message...you do get FTA channels with the card not paired/no card.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom