Sky Installations

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by narabdela, Sep 27, 2003.

1. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting SKY. The cheapest installation option is via their website but I've heard some horror stories about cowboys that SKY use for these installations. Any advice or experiences would be welcome.

:confused: :confused:

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Yeah, I tried the cowboys....:thumbsdow

They produced a second hand damaged Grundig box, despite assurances to me that I was getting a Panasonic.

I refused the installation, and went to see my local independant
    Euronics dealer.

Cost more, but I got the box I wanted, decent cables, and the dish EXACTLY where I wanted it..:smashin:

Yer pays yer money, and takes yer choice eh?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY employ good and bad installers, I am afriad you don't know which you will get until they arrive. These and other forums are not the best place for a balanced view, by nature you will get more negative threads created than positive ones.
    SKY installers are either directly employed by SKY or contract workers, either way they are expected to do X amount of installs per day so some will play fast and loose in the hopes that they are not subsequently blamed for problems after the fact while others will do the job as well as is practical.
    You need to decide if the installation on your home is straight forward with easy access to the location you would like the dish, a clean cable run and access into the home (hole in other words) for the cable. Then it's just a matter of hooking up the bits and connecting the digibox to the TV and phone.

Never forget you can refuse the install and/or cancel within a certain time if you are not satisfied with anything also if you go to a retailer their installers could be useless as well.
    A independent satellite installer should offer a good service and if he is authorised by SKY be able to supply subsidised installs although not at the £1 price point, you should also get the choise of digibox although only the makes/models they carry.

4. Warnie

Warnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had Sky + installed today and I have to say I was delighted with the installation - not one engineer turned up but two !! One happened to be an ex schoolfriend of mine and he didn't rush the job or his mate either. he replaced the original cable that had been there since day one of sky, changed to a quad lnb and even made sure all the connections with sky+ and tivo worked - entered the code into the new sky_ controller to work with the tv and made sure I was happy with everything - didn't even cost me a cup of tea ! Superb.

Only problem I have now is that I am also running broadband off the same line !! Sky+ and a mirror sub

5. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had my Sky installed last week. As mentioned above two engineers came, understood what I wanted (dish mounted on stand on balcony, then fed through window) and then did a superb job of tiding up the cablework. I'd heard horror stories bout cowboy installers turning, it appears I got lucky.

6. waynec

waynec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had Sky+ installed yesterday to replace my 4 year old system. Only one engineer turned up, job was done in 40 minutes and he did a great job. Tidy cables and set up the remote etc.

Don't know how I coped without Sky + for so long!

7. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Have had 2 installations, one superb with 2 engineers. Second awful, Untidy. Drilled through wall and missed an electrical socket by mm's despite my telling him to hang on. Dreadful dish alignment. cable left loose. Its a lottery.

8. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ dish is installed in pride of place on the front of my house because the installer thought wires under the eaves from the side would look ugly.

In other words, he couldn't be bothered to pin wires from the side wall across to the front.