1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mr_P, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm getting Sky installed on Monday and have just received my viewing card etc.

I notice in the notes that:

"...we cannot run it '(the cable)' through wall cavities. However we will run the cable externally, ie around skirting boards and door arches"

So how on earth do they get the cable into the house!!! I assume that they mean once the cable is in the house, they won't run it through a wall? Or do they mean that the cable cannot come in from outside through a wall cavity. Confused?!?!

I am hoping that the installer will fit the dish on the corner of my house, run the cable down the external wall, drill through the outside wall and push the cable through where my Tv backs onto. Total run of cable will only be a few metres. I can see no problems at all with this, the dish will be facing the same way as all the neighbours' dishes and the wire will run down the wall my tv set backs onto on the inside.

Ideally I would love the cable not to be externally attached to the wall but fed into the wall cavity at the point the dish is attached to the external wall. Then I could feed the cable down the inside of the wall and it would then be connected to a satellite socket on the lounge wall, to which I could plug the set top box into.

Does that sound feasible?

Also what type of satellite socket should I buy. We have brass switches and sockets in the lounge and I saw a brass satellite socket in B&Q. I assume that will do the business? Also will the engineer leave enough connections and cable for me to connect to the wall socket myself or will he do that for me?

After all I am paying £70 for the privilege and I don't like the comment:

"...and any additional work likely to incure charges...."

Cos I would do it myself!!!

By the way I have already installed a phone socket on the tv wall, so they will be less work for the engineer to do for a start!!

Quick answers will be appreciated as I plan this weekend to get everything sorted, including drilling of the walls myself just in case the engineer refuses to do the work I request.

Surely they will carry out my request?

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think generally they try and bring it in through the window frame.

Basically Mr_P it is pot luck as to whether you get a nice polite understanding engineer, or a complete d!ck! I got the latter.
    We basically undid everything he had done after he left and redid it ourselves. :mad: :rolleyes:

I wont depress you by telling you what an utter botch they made of it all as I don't wish to put a dampener on things for you, I hope it all goes well. :)

Lex.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301

Pasted from Sky-------------Standard installation of your Digital Satellite System costs £10 if you select Sky World with Family Pack.--------------------

Why not take this option and drop to a less expensive package after 1 month?
    If you are competant install the cable run yourself over the weekend.I can assure you that unless you get a pedantic installer,he will be more than happy to do the job.Failing that he will do the job the easiest way for him (trust me ;) ).

4. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for the advice.

Well this afternoon, I have fitted the brass satellite socket to the wall behind my tv. I also dropped a length of weighted wire from the loft down the wall cavity to this socket.

So all I need to do tomorrow when the engineer arrives is to ask for a a good run of digital cable, attach one end to the satellite socket, attach the other end to the weighted wire and pull it up to the loft.

Then all the engineer has to do is to drill a hole in the wooden roof eaves just above where I want the dish to go and then from the loft I can feed the end of the digital cable to him. Then when he has attached the dish to the wall he just has to connect the digital cable to it.

I assume that he will have the screw on connections so I can make a suitable cable connection between the set top box and the wall satellite socket?

So not much work for him to do is there? And I will get my wish of having the digital cable running down the wall cavity and a nice wall flushed socket.

Couldn't be any simpler!!!

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The chap will probabally be in the house 10 minutes.He will ask you to sign that you are satisfied with the installation :p then head off for an early lunch.
    A little tip, pull down not up and he will most likely do this.
    One of my pet hates is to see cable runs down rooftops and outside walls when it's just for convenience.

6. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes I have checked every sky dish on the houses nearby and they have massive runs of cable down the side of the house (very unsightly). And the cables go through the window frames!!

With our newly installed uPVC double glazing, there is no way I am allowing anyone to drill anywhere the windows!!

I will ask the engineer to feed me the cable from the outside when he is installing the dish and I will attach it to the wire securely in the loft myself. Then back in the lounge, I can slowly pull the wire and the digital cable down, attach it to the socket and that will be that. A job well done!!

Oh one more question, should I insist on a particular type of set top box, is the Pace the one to go for?

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The Sony and Panasonic appear to be the best of the lot.If i couldn't get what i wanted i'd decline the offer.
    I'll wager the word Amstrad gets mentioned :devil:
    BTW do search on the net.Digital satellite does not begin and end with SKY. Link
    Link .
    The new Samsung appears very popular at £239. Forget SKY1 etc. This will only get you wall to wall movies,sport,adult material :eek: etc. :D

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately if you are doing it through Sky you get absolutely no choice of digibox. I did everything I could to try and get a Sony. I made numerous phone calls, threatened to cancel etc... but still ended up with a Pace. There is nothing wrong with the pace, it works great, it just doesn't have the optical connection I wanted and it is seriously ugly. :(

9. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Well here we are, just after 8pm and the Sky installer has not turned up. I have been off all day and not a phone call from them. After lunch I was told between 4pm and 7pm today when I rang Sky up.

I rang again at 7:20pm and was told to give it till 8pm! They even tried to contact the engineer but his mobile just rang off.

I think I will demand my £70 installation fee back. I am quite angry as not only have I wasted a day but yesterday afternoon, I spent quite some time preparing a few things so that the cable could be ran down the cavity wall!!

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh dear. That sounds about typical of Sky :( :rolleyes: You still have a long way to go to match my sorry tale though! :D :p :rolleyes: :mad:

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Shocking. Have a look at the current installation -> price <- :eek:

12. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Well all I have been offered is a £10 credit!!

I threatened to cancel my subscription and demand my £70 back.
    I said I would phone back after I had cooled down.

The good news is that I can get my £70 refunded!

So the question is, can I get my £70 back and then go to my local dealer, take up the £10 installation option with him and get him to install the dish? Obviously I would be getting the £37 a month Sky package and then drop down to the £10 a month after 31 days. However could I get the agreement in my wife's name as Sky will have details that I originally cancelled my contract?

13. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What amazes me is that after all this you still want to do bussiness with them.
    If you are convinced that you still want $ly then order through the link above.It will make no odds to them if you use your own name.You will still be a new customer.

14. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    When I got Sky installed, the installer drilled through the cavity wall exactly where I asked him to with no problems.

John

15. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    lynx,

being new to this Sky thing. I take it that if I go to my local dealer and get a set top box and dish installed, I will still pick up the free to air digital channels such as BB1 BBC Choice, ITV2 etc? All I would do is pay the installation fee? What about the cost of the set top box? I would pay for that too?

Also what about the sky card, do I still need one of these?

Any advice on what is the best to do?

If all is well with the replies I get, I will cancel my contract with Sky, get my £70 refund and use someone else.

Thanks.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    By all means approach an independant.He will quote 'x' for the job (most likely a non subsidised price).You will have to contact the BBC for a FTV card. 08702 438 000. The card will become matched to your box just like a $ly card.
    You will probabally be better off in the long run getting a package deal from SKY.

17. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    getting the on line deal is by far the best approach despite its lack of felexibility. I have looked into the best way of doing this for some time. For the first year (assuming you change to £16 family pack afetr first month) the cost is £233 for channels, set top box, dish and install. Going to a dealer for this you get the dish and set top box and FTV channels (and the comfort that you arent making Murdoch richer - much as I hate murdoch - I want more than FTV). You have to pay extra for install and premium channels but you dont have to leave the unit plugged in to the phone giving away the fact that you spent 12 hours a day watching the adult channel.

And doing it through sky on line, the deal is: you leave your unit plugged in to the phone for 12 months, sky get money from a marketing company for the info gained by monitoring your viewing habits and therefore they subsidise your dish and set top box. Without this deal you pay for the set top box and dish (arround £250).

The interactive deal effectively is the cheap install offer: but again the deal here is that you are the mercy of the installer. He will do a minimum install so if you want a tidy job with wall plates and sockets you wont get it, but if you do thge plates and some wiring yourself it goes in your favour for the big question "Er do you have a Sony in the back of your van?" (I intend to hide in the living room gagging the children while my wife, who will be in a short skirt and low cut top, asks the question) .

I may be wrong in my interpretation of what I have signed up to

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Too much X-Files I think:)
    The purpose of the phone line on a subsidised box was to encourage you to use the revenue generating online services that were originally on OPEN. SKY themselves now control all of this and still insist on a phone connection in the hopes you will buy from Active or play pay as you go games etc.
    This they hope helps to recover the cost of the new digibox.
    There is nothing in the SKY Digital T&C's (At least not my copy) that allows SKY to collect viewing data.
    The SKY+ contract however does allow them to collect viewing data and use it within the company.

19. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im pretty sure that the contract I signed which was in 2 parts (one for the interactive offer and the other for the kit subsidy) stated that the subsidy was provided by a marketing firm. Surely then the marketing firm would only be interested in viewing habits so that they can finely tune their advertising. As for the pay per use services, this doesnt require permanant connection, just when you want to use it, adding further weight to the idea that sky want the box to dial up at regular intervals to grass on you!

Ive heard that if you arent connected then Sky can charge you what they would get from the marketing firm as subsidy (around £80).

This isnt big brother stuff, my last company worked on a project dealing with next generation digital television (broadband delivered) where it worked on personal advertising, where the adverts you saw were targetted at the individual viewer based upon a profile that was built up around viewing habits. But thats the subjject of another thread.

I will look at my contract again, but I am pretty certain the subsidy is the result of Sky selling your data which is why it has to be stated in the contract

20. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Well with SKY not turning up last Monday, of which I got a £10 credit!!, the installer turned up today.

He agreed to putting the dish up where I wanted and he would drill through the eaves so I could drop the cable down the wall. He added that he wouldn't go in the loft but that was no big deal as I was going to go in the loft myself. Then came the big question, what boxes have you got in the van.

Well he said I'm afraid I have only got Amstrads, that is all Sky have given me at the depot is morning. However I can come back another day if you give Sky a ring and ask for a better box. I asked him which he thought in his opinion were the better ones to go for:

Grundig - rubbish, he has had to deal with 300 problems alone already.

Sony - looks good, but nothing to boast about, not recommended.

Pace - looks crap, okay to have

Panasonic - looks good, best one to have.

Amstrad - enough said.

I also added that I had already paid £70 installation, been messed around by Sky already. He said they must have seen be coming, I told him that I had been through the installation fee a million times before, it was something I was going to live with.

Anyway he said phone Sky, demand a Panasonic and re-arrange a new date. In fact he said he would phone them. So he did and put in a complaint that I was not happy with the Amstrad box he had in his van and could I re-book for a Panasonic one.

Well he had to pass the phone on to me and I was told that because this was the second visit, I had to put up with an Amstrad or that was that!! Well I had to tell the bloke on the phone that this was the first time an installer had arrived to the house, so it was in fact the first visit. He then added well you get two goes, if you don't accept the box on the 2nd visit, tough you get what you are given. Well I told him exactly what I thought of this service, pay for goods and not get a choice!!! £70 to be told this. Then he said that I had only paid £20, oh no I said, you took £70 from my bank account 2 months ago!!! Plus you have already agreed to a £10 credit!!

Anyway he told me I couldn't have a box of my choice, so I said yeah, yeah, whatever, please re-book. So I got next Saturday, the 3rd attempt!!

Then the installer (who works for himself) added onto the job sheet that I wanted a Panasonic and said that he would see what he could do. If one of those boxes came in, he would put it aside for me, ready for next Saturday. Plus he said he knew someone else contracted by Sky who works in my area and he would have a word with him too.

The guy on the phone then demanded to speak to the installer and then proceded to give him hell, blaming him for me refusing the Amstrad and how dare he recommend anything else. The installer had to just say that it was the customer that was not happy and he had not advised at all (basically to cover his own back).

My thoughts are that Sky are just trying to rip people off by buying cheap boxes and trying to get them installed without anyone noticing. The only thing is if next Saturday there are no Panasonic boxes, then the installer knows it is not worth his while coming up to my house.

Did I do right?

At the end of the day, if I don't get what I want from Sky, then I will demand my £70 and go elsewhere.

Comments please.....

21. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck Mr_P. You are going to need it! :( I paid £160 for my (second) digibox and I was still not given a choice. I told Sky that I wanted a Sony. They said no. I said yeah, but I am paying £160 for this box surely I should be hiven a choice?! They said we will put a preference on the installation sheet. I said fine. The installer turned up (for the second time - see my thread in General Chat called 'Sky: Utterly beyond belief') and he only had Pace boxes on him. He said take it or leave it.
    I had already been waiting two months for this installation so I just accepted it as I wanted to watch the cricket! :rolleyes:
    Basically arguing with Sky is like debating philosophy with a dead dog - you are never going to get an intelligent response! (I just made that up!!!:D )
    I have already stated that I consider them to have the worst customer service in the world. i have written to tell them so too - am still waiting for a written apology from them, and I am still going to try and get them to provide me with a Sony.

22. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Firstly, why are you still accepting this £70 rubbish. The deal on offer is for £20 installation.
    I hinted last week that Amstrad would be the likely candidate.The way $ly operates is nothing short of bullying.You are paying them hard earned cash for hardware that you don't want,while they insist that you take it or do without.
    Personally i wouldn't encourage them.Another thing to think about,if this is the way they are treating you while trying to give them money what will they be like after they have your money and there is a problem??

The views above do not represent this site and are purely personal. :p

23. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Well the response from Sky was it was your fault you signed up for the £70 option!!!!

I could cancel, then wait another 2/3 months to get it installed!!!

They already have my £70, they have had it for the last 2 months and I have not got anything to show for it. Well a sky card!!!

Re-conditioned Amstrad boxes is not my idea of fun!

At least the installer knew where I was coming from.

Let's see what happens on Saturday. However I do think that I would be better off going to my local dealer and getting something sorted from him. Who cares that it might be more money to set up, at least I will be able to speak face to face if things go wrong and I will have the satisfaction of (a) picking my own box and (b) Sky will not get any money from me.

The thing is when you have sat in and waited TWICE and not got anything sorted, it starts to a bit annoying! At this rate, I can see myself installing it on my own, I'm already going to be doing the cable down the cavity wall, I've already installed the flush wall socket mounting and the phone socket, bring on the wall mounted dish!!!

24. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Arn't we forgetting the £27 per month (or whatever you are signing to) subscription.Or does that just go do the satellite fairey ;)

25. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Where I live, the only option to get digital broadcasts and CH5 is to get a satellite. To be honest analogue reception is quite poor in the area and some of the neighbours reception boarders on the unwatchable. However through a lot of hard work, I have managed to get a decent picture, although it is not perfect! However with me having a 36" Sony (with the scrolling bars on RF input, about to change to a Loewe), to really get a super picture, digital is the only way forward. So I opted for the £10 a month from Sky so after a year, I could cancel and I would be happy just receiving the free digital programmes.

That would mean £70+12x£10 = £190 for me to go digital.

After that period I could make up my mind what I want to do, either increase my sky subscription and see what I get for my money or cancel and continue to get the free BBC, ITV etc digital channels.

Now if I get a dish and box from my local dealer, I will just pay for the installation and the equipment, no monthly subscription and hence no money to Sky!!! Plus I will get superb digital pictures that will bring the best out of my tv. THAT IS ALL I WANT!!!

26. Kentish

Kentish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had Sky put in,I had it done by a 1 man band contractor,who also did his own work.He supplied a Panasonic box as he said "they were the ones he prefered to instal as were most reliable and quickest"(please note he had a choice of boxes that he bought from Sky and them sold them back when installed)

What he did say was that all these cheap instal offers going around,were using recon Pace boxes.

I paid a fair bit more than £70,but I got the installation and back up that I wanted.

Cheers

27. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    ALERT.... LONG POST!!!

I have just abandoned NTL due to the recent price rise, plus the lack of caller display on their phone line.

I didn't really have any real problems with NTL apart from the downstairs box freezing two or three times a day!.
    The phone line quality and broadband was superb.

But after i did the maths, it worked out i could have the full sky package (i didn't have sports or music with NTL) and broadband(including a BT line) via AOL for slightly less money!. Further saving will be made with BTs free evening and weekend calls etc.

I got a BT line last Tuesday, and my caller ID phone now works a treat.

I phoned BT about their SKY box offer and they put me through to SKY.
    I explained that i wanted a SKY+ box to go in my cinema room.(Dolby Digital 5.1 here i come!!!). Plus the time shifting hard drive will be ideal as i work shifts.
    I told her i would be piping the video signal back downstairs via a Philips video sender unit. The only trouble with this method is losing some picture quality etc.
    She explained that she could offer me a free "Panasonic" Digi Box downstairs, with me only having to pay £10 for installation.
    She then went on to say that the SKY+ box would then cost £300 plus £50 installation. (Why i had to pay twice for the same dish to be installed i don't know!)
    Realising she hadn't grasped the concept of me using a sender unit, i asked her why i would want to pay an extra £12 a month for the extra box. And failing that, i could use the magic eye system.
    She then went on to say the free box would receive all the channels without me having to pay the £12 as long as i had the full package on the SKY+ box!.

Now i'm not this gullible to think that SKY will just give me a second box including free subscription completely free of charge. So i asked her to send me the full monthly subscription charge in writing.

She broke it down as follows:-

I pay £360 upfront for the two boxes including installation.

I then pay £37 + £10 for Sky+ etc = £47 a month!.

I have yet to receive this written subscription letter, but to be honest i prefer to have the second box so i can have RGB and clearer stereo sound etc.
    I'm still going to get the magic eye connection so i can watch the SKY+ recordings downstairs, and move the sender units into the bedroom and kitchen.

So the SKY installer called me today to say he would be with me between 12 and 3 o'clock.

True to his word he turned up at 2 o'clock.

We had a brief discussion on how i wanted the units installed, and how i wanted the cables routed.

He produced the two Digi boxes one a PACE SKY + box, the other a PACE (not Panasonic) standard silver digi box. I enquired as to why i wasn't getting the Panasonic that had been offered on the phone, and got the standard "thats what i got from the depot this morning" reply. I wasn't aware that the Panasonic was the best box until i read this post tonight. But the Pace box looks fine anyway!.

He did a superb job installing the dish and cables exactly as we had discussed. Since he was using three of the four LNBs available he took the trouble to double wrap everthing in amalgemating tape, and the wire runs were text book. He was also very friendly, and very polite!.(Don't faint!!!)

Due to the SKY plus boxes Svideo output i was able to ditch my RGB to Svideo converter (my Quadscan doesn't take RGB etc). The picture from sky looks even better with no RGB left shift!.
    I will connect the optical output to my amp tomorrow, for DD 5.1 etc.

So i'm very happy at the moment BUT!!! i have come across one problem already (apart from that f***ing annoying red dot). When accessing the free games, after about a minute or so the box shunts you back to TV for no reason at all!.........Any Ideas??? Is this normal for a Pace box?, or do i need to perform a software update already kind of thing?.

NTL and SKY are one and the same when it comes to customer service, but what choice do we have?.
    I have just spent 7 WHOLE days without SKY and i can tell you i didn't realise how much i would miss it! :D
    Even the missus admitted through gritted teeth that she too had seriously missed it! :p

I will have to complain when my bill comes as i know that £12 extra charge WILL be on it, dispite what i was told, but i'm hoping to get a least three months free second box viewing. BUT I WILL NOT HOLD MY BREATH!!!:devil:

28. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Option 1:
    Ring Sky on 08705 800 800, tell them you've seen the website £10 offer.
    Sign full Sky World 1A subscription package @ £37.
    Two weeks after having installed ring Sky and drop to £10 package, after completing 12 month contract, cancel subscription and enjoy FTA. Total cost = £157.
    Probably refurbished Amstrad/Grundig/Pace.

Option 2:
    Ring local independent. Pay around £80. Sign full Sky World 1A @ £37.
    Two weeks later, ring Sky drop to £10. Cancel when 12 month contract fulfilled. Total cost = £227.00.
    Choice of brand new Panasonic/Sony/Pace.

Option 3:
    Do without Sky.
    Sky couldn't care less, but you will.

By the way, when dealing with the independents, mostly they work for themselves, if on initial contact they assess you as a cheapskate, they will generally refer you to Option 1.
    There isn't that much in it for them, so generally they don't want any hassle. On the other hand their initial installation and service back-up is far better (mostly).

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There has been an offer on the mirror subscription for the last few months when you order SKY+ and the mirror subscription at the same time. The first six months of the mirror subscription are free so I wonder if that is what the CS rep was thinking about.

30. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Unless otherwise stated all the £10 installation offers are with brand new boxed digiboxes. There have been refurbished offers but only in conjunction with direct marketing and the occasional advert in the press.
    If in any doubt always read the T&C's of any offer.