Sky+ Installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gary D, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    just a quick question, i've noticed that Sky are charging £50 for sky+ installation, can someone tell me what the hell they have to do to warrent £50?

I assume that you plugin some SCART leads, the cable to the dish and maybe a telephone cord? is there anything else? they have to do?

Gary

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    They have to change out the LNB and run another cable. Danger money for dangling from the ladder I presume.

3. toby

toby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair to sky, when the chap did mine he did the LNB, ran the cable in, set up the sky+/amp/dvd/tv and sorted a problem I had with the TV picture.

You even get a 20 min lesson for the sky+. The bloke was there for about 2 1/2 hours, which isn't to bad for £50. (do you think I'll get a discount for sticking up for sky ???!!!)

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    toby,

i think you have more chance of getting on screen logos removed!!!

Gary

Thanks to all for the info

5. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    You can get an independent installer to do it, for maybe as low as £30. They should also be able to provide the box at about £270.

6. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah,

Me and a few others i know who had it fitted also got a new dish from sky, so i dont think its too bad really...

The guy mustve been at mine 2 or more hours and set everything up, heck he even did the thx setup test on my system using the star wars dvd disc as a favour.

Still, I spose I did bribe him with many a tea 'n' biscuit ;)

Phil

7. toby

toby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you might get a bit more helpful installer as the guy who did mine said only 'proper' sky people (i.e not sub contractors) are allowed to do sky+. They even send them on a course !

I've had some right nerds from sky in the past....the last one had said he'd just come out of the army, and had a metal plate in his head.....scary! He made a right arse up of everything, my gran 'could of done better, so it's a bit of a lottery who you get round.

8. tk212

tk212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sure the metal plate in his head was what was causing the interference?

You were probably picking up rogue thoughts through his "transmitter plate" :D

Phil

9. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I got a local installer to do it. (From scratch - I am a new Sky customer, so he had to put the dish up, lay all the cable etc.)

Took him around 2.5 hours. He did a really great job and I would have been more than happy to have paid him fifty quid. But unfortunately he did it all for nothing!

Chip.