Sky Installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sandy10, Aug 4, 2005.

1. sandy10

sandy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a centre terraced house, and would like Sky Installed, but am not too keen on a dish on the front of the house.

To the rear, we have an extension, which leaves a flat roof, and an "L" section at first floor level, which affords an angle to put a dish up.

As my sitting room is to the front, would SKY's installers be willing to pass the cable up through my soffit, through my loft space, and out through the front soffit, with the cable passing down the front of the house [ideally alongside the downpipe], and into the wall in at the bottom - thus having just a cable on the front?

I'd be prepared to pay the £65 non standard installation fee, if only to keep my wife quiet who is concerned about a dish on the front!

would this be possible to do?

Thanks

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds entirely possible but Sky are extremely unwilling to go in the loft. You may need to do the passing through the loft yourself.

It all depends on whether you can get the dish facing in the right direction. You may find that a local installer (not direct from sky) would be far more accomodating to your wishes! Sky tend to want to put it in the easiest place possible. A little extra in their hand may help!

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Sky installers are not permitted to go into a loft. You will have to route the cable through the loft yourself. Also, Sky installers are not permitted to go on a roof so you might have problems there, too.

Overall, it sounds as if you'd be better off getting an independent ASA to do the job.

http://sam-radford.me.uk/install.htm

4. sandy10

sandy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if for example, the best angle for the dish was only possible at the rear, how would they normally route the cable to the front?

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Round the outside.

By the way, there is no "best angle". The dish must be aligned on the satellite cluster. Period.

6. sandy10

sandy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a centre terraced house - there isn't an outside.

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Then the Sky installer will politely tell you that installation is not possible, or offer to fit a big ugly pole and bracket to the other side of the house at additional cost.

8. sandy10

sandy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strewth!

9. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am sure if that is the case that it has to go on the back I am sure they 'chuck' the cable over the roof! Looks awful!

10. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They do brackets that can mount directly on the roof, depending on roof construction and apex angle. You can then have the dish on the roof just looking over the apex and being invisible from the front.

You will still need a cable running down the roof/wall etc.

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The will just throw the cable over the roof - that's what they've done on of of my neighbours houses, fotunately, we're on the end.

John