1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PhilipVass, Jul 29, 2004.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting Satellite TV and setting it up for free to air tv however i have my doubts, i know you need a dish positioner ect, i don't have a long enough ladder to install the thing myself so i'm curious as to how much it would cost from some local outfit...what are their prices normally, cheaper than Sky Digital's £199 charge, i know i can pick up a box and dish for under £50.

Also what are the quality of programmes on the FTA channels, utter crap or something worth watching? will the channels be safe or will some encrypt when they become popular like TCM, Boomerang ect.?

I already have a GDB3 goodmans receiver is it possible to link Sky via the other AV channel by a double scart adapter link also can you buy another connector to link my speaks to both systems?

Thanks. :beer:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you want a true FTA digital system which can access multipule satellites then that won't be cheap at least compared to Freeview:)
    While the SKY system is pefectly acceptable for UK FTA channels it has it's limits when you look further afield, SKY do not spend R&D money on hardware that can be used for anything other than their services.

SKY will be offering the £150 system later this year but no info on the type of digibox or if they will insist on a phone connection.

Well this time last year there was a good mix of FTA channels (TV and Radio) that came from the satellites that carry the SKY D service but with TCM etc encrypting the offering is much weaker.

Here is a list.

Who knows what the future holds for FTA channels on Dsat, same could be said for those on Freeview. Who really would have thought a PAY offering would be on DTT a couple of years after ITV D collapsed:)

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can standard mini dishes not pick up any foreign channels then?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes they can although a 45cm minidish was designed for the more powerful Astra2 satellites broadcasting to the UK. However it's the digibox software which has a limited tuning range, certain values are not accessible and therfore certain channels can not be viewed.

5. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the UK line up like, is The Horror Channel, The Vault, Golf TV, Extreme Sports, Motors TV upto much?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well I can only give a personal opinion and a channel may be well run and funded but if I don't like the content or genre or not the person they are broadcasting too then my opinion is pretty useless:)

Horror Channel, pretty cheesy fare but I am partial to a bad,unknown or under funded British movie at times.
    The Vault, don't watch music channels much but it's no worse than many which are subscription.
    Golf TV, don't play golf.
    Extreme Sports, don't give a toss about teens on skateboards or snow boards.
    Motors TV, bloody fantastic channel with a wide range of events (cars, bikes and boats) including live BTCC, Nascar and some documentary shows. A must for the motorsports fan but pretty boring if you aren't.

Others worth mentioning...
    Reality TV, pretty good documentaries for killing an hour or so.
    Performance, quality channel for the arts.
    Fashion TV, great for women or those who like to look at women.
    Wrestling Channel, quite entertaining especially the World of Sport material.
    Soundtrack Channel, pretty good idea.

7. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean great for those who are in desperate need of feeding :laugh: