1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Installation Saga

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Madgpol, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Madgpol

Madgpol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll keep it short as poss but any advise greatly appreciated.

Here goes.

Should have been installed last Tuesday. Engineer turns up but because it's raining can't go on the roof. Fair enough.
    He rings Sky asking for next date and gets Thursday. Also stipulates that it must be AM and Sky agree.

Today comes and I get a call from engineer stating that he will call between 12-4pm. I try to explain but to no avail. Engineer agrees to get to me by 1pm as I have to go to work for 3pm.

At 2.45pm get call from engineer to say that he's going to be another hour and will I be there. I have to go to work but arrange for my partner to be home for 4pm.

No visit from engineer so after 7 calls to the Sky centre they are unable to offer explaination as any attempt to contact engineer go unanswered as he turned his mobile off.

What should my next step be. I have offered Sky tomorrow and Saturday as the only days I'm available before Christmas. They have taken my £200.

Anyone else had a problem like this ?

Madgpol

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There are times when communication between SKY, it's customers and it's installer is patchy at best.
    Sounds like a contract installer who couldn't be arsed to do the job and decided not to take anymore calls, doesn't help if the AM info wasn't passed on to him though.

If SKY can't meet the timescale that suits you then cancel the installation and get the refund then either wait until the new year and reorder (maybe even new hardware on offer then) or shelve the purchase totally.

3. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would moan like mad to Sky (Customer always right) And SKY + is excellent - the bloke installing mine was top quality. ON time, quick, would bend over backwards for us on the install.

Ask to speak to whoever deals with the problems supervisor. Usually works

4. Madgpol

Madgpol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after sleeping on it I decided to ring head office of Sky and try and speak to a director. They would not have any of it but put me through to Customer Care.

Basically it has been resolved. I'm getting it installed next Saturday 13th and as way of compensating me for the amount of phone calls I've made to them I'm getting a few months Sky for free.

If I had a choice I would have shelved the lot and told them to stick it but there ain't any competition and I really want sky+.

They have us by the short and curlys and they know it.

Have to say that they are the most inflexible company I've ever had dealings with.

Madgpol

5. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by Madgpol

Originally posted by Starburst

As you will see the information was actually passed to the engineer as it was "HIM" that arranged for the new date for installation!

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

:p
    Gotta smile, I only included the last line because I thought I was being a bit too hard on the installer and left a question mark againest SKY themselves passing on correct information as requested by the customer.

As for this specific job you are of course assuming it was the same installer on both occasions. However I totally accept your defence of the poor overworked installer even if his job requires he stays in contact with his employer and his appointments (Even those he made himself) but seems he can't even turn up on time which proves that specifying an AM or PM call still does not guarantee anything.

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't actually defending the installer. I was infact pointing out that the "installer" had actually phoned sky "himself" and arranged for the am installation at the customer's request and it was "him" that then failed to turn up! So there was no need for sky to pass on the info as the installer already new the arrangements?

8. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When making stipulations, it's important to insist on the FIRST installation of the day. Nothing else can be guaranteed but if you insist on a "not after 9am" start time, you can be reasonably certain that no other job will hold up the installer. Provided he can get his van started and collect his day's equipment, he should turn up as arranged.

And don't be tempted to call Sky installers "engineers". They can't afford to pay qualified engineers. At best, you'll get an experienced technician.

An engineer, by definition, has a Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) degree, MSc. or similar. As there are (to my knowledge) no UK college or university courses in satellite installation, the qualification usually consists of a piece of paper certifying that the installer attended a Sky-run course. I've done the one-day "course" (but I've never worked for Sky) and I believe that most Sky installers have done a 2 or 3 week course with Sky at best.

This doesn't mean they are all incompetent. But they are not "engineers".