Sky Installation Questions

Mr_P

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm getting Sky digital installed in a couple of weeks time. Luckily I think the dish can be attached to the wall that leads downs to the tv corner of the lounge. However I have a couple of questions:

(1) Can I insist that the engineer runs the cable down the wall cavity from the point the dish is attached to? The reason I ask is that I have already ran the normal tv cable down this wall from the roof aerial so there shouldn't be a problem, plus I don't want the cable to run down the side of the house, I prefer for the cable to be hidden.

(2) When the cable comes through into the lounge, can I insist that the cable is attached to a satellite output wall socket? Then I can simply plug the set top box into the wall socket. Do Sky supply these wall sockets? It is just that we have brass sockets for everything in the lounge and I spotted a satellite socket at B&Q and was thinking about buying one. I have also taken the precaution of already setting up a phone socket right next to the tv so should I do the same for the satellite brass socket? Then the engineer can just drop the cable down the cavity, I will already have made a hole in the wall for the brass socket so it would just be a matter of connecting the cable to the socket and screwing the brass satellite socket into the back box.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Mr_P
I'm getting Sky digital installed in a couple of weeks time. Luckily I think the dish can be attached to the wall that leads downs to the tv corner of the lounge. However I have a couple of questions:

(1) Can I insist that the engineer runs the cable down the wall cavity from the point the dish is attached to? The reason I ask is that I have already ran the normal tv cable down this wall from the roof aerial so there shouldn't be a problem, plus I don't want the cable to run down the side of the house, I prefer for the cable to be hidden.

You can try and insist upon this but it ultimately depends upon the engineer doing the install. In my experience, most of them will not run the cable in the way you are suggesting because this would be too easy for them and they like to make things as difficult as possible. They will usually try and quote some health & safety crap that prevents them from running cables down wall cavities etc., but they will be more than happy to leave you the required amount of cable and let you get on with it yourself. If you're up to the job, then it's highly advisable you do this. If you can do it quickely, they may even wait while you run the cable, otherwise they will just come back and connect the box a few hours later.

(2) When the cable comes through into the lounge, can I insist that the cable is attached to a satellite output wall socket? Then I can simply plug the set top box into the wall socket. Do Sky supply these wall sockets? It is just that we have brass sockets for everything in the lounge and I spotted a satellite socket at B&Q and was thinking about buying one. I have also taken the precaution of already setting up a phone socket right next to the tv so should I do the same for the satellite brass socket? Then the engineer can just drop the cable down the cavity, I will already have made a hole in the wall for the brass socket so it would just be a matter of connecting the cable to the socket and screwing the brass satellite socket into the back box.

The engineer should agree to this but at the end of the day, you can rewire the cable to a wall socket yourself as soon as he goes. Sky will usually want to run the terminated cable straight into the back of the box without going through a wall socket. You may as well have it ready to put in though. Tell the engineer that if he doesn't do it, you'll do it as soon as he goes, in which case he may as well do it.

As I said though, they do like to be a difficult as possible. :)

Sign up for the £37 package and then you can downgrade after 1 month to the £16 package.

The code is for ordering online when you have seen adverts for SKY D in the local and national press.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom