Sky Installation Question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Random Man, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Random Man

Random Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Have just moved into my new home, and never had Sky before. Have ordered sky installation including sky+. Now the previous owner had Sky+ and the cables are in the corner ready to go. However, a friend told me you need a phoneline connected too. So I had a look and there was a phone socket in the corner of the room too, I plugged our phone (which is normally in the original phone socket in the hall) and got no dialing tone, but rang the phone from my mobile and it rings.

Is this sufficient for what Sky need? Did they install it originally? Or do I need to get a phone technician in first to make the line do outgoing calls too? I have tried contacting the previous owner with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    They will need to be able to dial out.

The engineer will run an extension cable from the hall socket if needed however so don't panic about it - though if the phone rings in that corner it just sounds like a loose wire somewhere.

Given how easy his job is going to be given the cables are already there He'd be laughing anyway.

That said you might want to consider getting him to install it in the bedroom instead (and tell him you want the cables in the lounge left connected) So you can move it around as you wish in future. Get's you a phone extension in the bedroom and the option of adding sky in the bedroom later without an additional fee etc.

3. Random Man

Random Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pal. I might do that set-up in the bedroom, that sounds a good idea.

In terms of the living room, I'd be keen to not have to have a wire ran around the room if possible, would the sky installer not be able to get the phone line going.

My point of that is, when the last owner had sky+ installed the only purpose of having a phone socket in this location in the living room would be for sky, so did sky install it originally?

4. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, they won't mess with other peoples wiring.

If he puts a cable round the room and you don't like it, rip it out, it's your house. That's what I did with mine.

5. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    You do realise that according to the Terms and Conditions on a new install that you are "supposed" to keep the box connected to the phone line for 12 months.
    However, it seems very hit and miss as to whether Sky enforce this or not.
    If you want to be on the safe side a £25 opt-out of having the phone connected option is available.
    If you ever go Multiroom both/all boxes MUST be connected to the same phone line at all times