1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ installation question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by father alice, Aug 24, 2005.

1. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I noticed when I was up the ladder putting in a third cable for freesat that the installer had not covered the f plugs with any boots or tape - just screwed them onto the lnb, and lowered the plastic cover shield (it is a grundig quad lnb). Is this normal, or should the plugs be covered properly?

Also, he used R6U cable instead of ct100, and charged me £15 to "move the dish, and run new cable - 2 new runs of cable required from the new location, instead of the extra one from the old dish point" (2 x 14m run used) I even ran the cable through the house for him, as I have conduit inplace already.

I noticed I signed the install paperwork saying £0 paid too!!

Does this sound normal?

I would have moved the dish myself, but wanted him to do it as he had a sat meter, and expected him to use ct100 - I could have R6u myself easily (@15p/M), ct100 would have required a 50m roll (although I guess I could have looked at the neighbours dish!)

That said, signal strength and quality is 75%, so no probs really, but concerned over the external f plugs.

(btw it was a contractor rather than a sky engineer)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like a cowboy outfit to me. You should always use self-amalgamating tape or a rubber boot and grease. I would always use the former. You will eventually get water in the cable.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Get on the blower to $ky!! AFAIK contractors are not allowed to charge any extras on site,the fact that your paper work say's £0 would back this up! People really do need to start looking at what they are signing for! I know people put pressure on you to "just sign here" (so i can bugger off) but if they don't like waiting tell them you won't sign!

4. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Am I right in thinking that sky stipulate ct100 or better? Clearly R6U is not equal to this.

I didn't mind paying the £15, as I was having the dish moved prior to an extension. I guess Sky would have charged £50 to move it at a later date.

Still thought I would check on installation standards before emailing sky, but i think I will now.
    Might get a goodwill gesture I suppose!

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309