1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ installation question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fallwood, Jan 2, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am due to get sky+ installed next friday, ive read that the installer replaces the existing coaxial cable with a twin coaxial cable , is this true as it will be very difficult to do as my existing sky cable was plastered into the wall when I built the house. Does the installation cover the cost of such cable and will the engineer enter the loft as thats where the cable will have to run (from one end of the house to the other , approx 80'), I installed all the cable myself originaly and it was a bit of a mammoth task due to the route i had to take and the length of the run. If the cable does need changing I would like to do it before the installer comes and says "mmm cant go in the loft mate, the runs a bit long innit, dont think standard instalation covers this" or some other crap.

2. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got my Sky + cable going through the loft & I had to go in there myself to run the cable through it (installers said they aren't allowed in lofts).
    According to this website 80' is too long for "shotgun" twin coaxial cable.

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did the installer supply the cable or did you install it before he came. I think ill let him turn up and then do any work he wont do myself, as my originals in the wall the new cable will have to be external for the last part of the run (down side of house and into lounge through outside wall.) . Will he have the necessary drilll bits etc to get through the external wall. I think the run length they are quoting is a bit conservative, ive run lengths of single satelite coax for 50m without any problems, cant imagine why the twin should be any different.

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    on my install he left the original wite in situe and just ran another cable to my sky + box

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Another single cable or did he use the double coax.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The installer will have a list of jobs to get through in that day.It's likely he won't have the time to wait while you do some of the work.Best bet is to make the guy a coffee and talk through with him what you want to achieve, let him see you are competant to do the work and arrange for him to come back after he has done the other jobs to connect your cable run that you've laid while he was away.

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think you would have to be lucky with that, they often have fairly long journeys between jobs... I would lay it before hand. It is very probable that he will take a second cable to the box, it saves on the cost for sky and the cable quality is almost always better.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So you think I should lay an extra cable, right ill get on to my electrical suppliers when they open and order a roll of satelite coax, cant remember the spec of the cable from last time, just asked them for coax suitable for satelite. Is their a standard spec for satelite cable, if so whats the number. Cheers for the help, nothing worse than waiting for an install only to be told they cant do it.

9. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes the installer supplied the cable,he pushed the cable through the eaves into the loft & I had to pull it through the loft & down to where I wanted it
    Have you booked a standard installation ? I don't think (standard) Sky install teams will use ladders to reach the eaves of a house(my dish is on a balcony where eaves are only 8'(?) up)
    I was only going by what was on the Satcure site (cable specs & numbers are here as well)
    "Shotgun" twin coaxial cable. CT63 specification, black.
    As used for "Sky-Plus" Digibox. This cable is double-shielded with copper foil and copper braid and gives a reasonable compromise between signal loss and ease of installation.

If it was me I'd run two lengths of the single cable to be on the safe side ;)