1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ installation question - existing dish

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jules1975, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have moved house. Before moving I ordered Sky+ at the new house, it is being installed next week.

When we moved in we found that the house already has a minidish and a cable into the lounge. No idea if this works but can't see why not.

I wondered if anyone could suggest what the engineer will do? Will he install a brand new minidish and new cables and ignore what is already there? If so would I then end up with potentially two systems (if I buy a digibox on ebay or something)?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    He'll likely just replace the LNB for a quad LNB and run new cables but will leave the dish as it is - at least that's what happened when I got Sky+ installed.

John

3. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had an existing dish (someone elses) when i had it installed, he took that off and fitted a new one...

4. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably the dish itself belongs to Sky then does it? I understand the digibox belongs to the customer.

My understanding is that with sky+ you get a quad LNB i.e. you can run four cables from the dish and that the Sky+ box uses two of these. How easy or difficult is it then to connect more cables to the other two outlets?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you paid a subsidised price for the installation, the box and dish become your property after the first year.

How easy or difficult it is to add two more cables really depends on how accessible the dish is, and on your own physical and technical capabilities. On most installations it's not the hardest job in the world.

6. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dish is quite low down. I can get to it and I'm happy I would be able to sort out all the cabling. Regarding a third cable from the LNB, is it just a question of having the right kind of plug and plugging the cable in, or is it more technical than that?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Assuming that your dish has the requisite number of available outputs, all you need is some satellite-grade cable and some "F connectors". See here on how to wire them. Be sure to use self-amalgamating tape, not ordinary insulating tape ! :thumbsup:

8. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks. I forsee a trip up a ladder very soon :D