1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Installation Queries

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scrapbook, Sep 19, 2005.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have finally given up the ghost with NTL, I just want to double check a couple of things before I sign on the dotted line with sky....

- the installer told me they use 75ohms twin screened cable, i assume this is normal stuff/reasonable quality??

- why do you need your sky box connected to the telephone line for the first 12 months?

- what happens if you don't have a phone line?? I have been thinking of ditching the phone because of mobile use

-- if the box dials out as such does that mean I will incur a 5p connection charge everytime (as per normal NTL call charges)?

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - if you've been ntld and you want to diy install, you can use ntl's coax for your install - done this a couple of times, it's especially handy for the going through the wall stage as you can ovoid making any new holes!

So they can check you are using it in the UK and keep tabs on you generally. It's a conspiracy.

Then you can't get sky... or you get the kit yourself and sign up with sky. I think if they are not subsidising the kit with your subscription then there's no 12 month contract and no phone requirement.

Nope. It dials out on a freephone number.

3. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do not have a phoneline, and do not intend to get one, you can pay a one off fee of £25.00 to have a no phone install.

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    You might like to download and read the free book from satcure "Understanding Sky Digital TV".

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    there two ways to stop your sky box dialing premium rate numbers if your worried this may occur.
    call bt and block all premium numbers.
    the other way is changing the way your phone dials in the installers menu

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The phone dials out on an 0800 number. The only time you would attract charges is if you play games or order movies, and you can restrict spending with a PIN number. Sky say the cost of the box is subsidised by the companies that offer the interactive services.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    ok, I am just about to sign on the dotted line.

I need a non stanadard installation so I have contacted an installer direct. In doing so how to I obtain the current sky offers of say half price TV for 3 months??? Is there an offer number as such??