SKY+ Installation on Communal Satallite systems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dave J, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Dave J

Dave J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently moved in to a new apartment block that has a communal satellite system installed and wired to each apartment. I tried to have a Sky+ box connected but the installation engineer informed me that since the dish had one feed and Sky+ requires 2 feeds then a Sky+ box isn't an option.

The landlord of the block will not grant permission for individual leaseholders to erect their own dishes.

Is there a technical solution to this or am I stuck with Sky digital?

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I suspect you'll get better informed replies than this, but you need 2 feeds to use +. If you cant 'borrow' a neighbors (who doesnt use Sky) or fit a surreptitious dish I'm afraid you are snookered.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There is a "stacker", "destacker" device that would allow two LNB feeds to be combined into one and then split at the other end, but this would involve gaining access to the dish, which I suspect your landlord would not allow.

4. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    You don't need to go back as far as the dish to be able to add a stacker.

If there are more than 4 flats in your block then the chances are that it is a IRS system used to distribute the Satellite, TV and FM radio signals.

This could have a couple of spare outlets that are unused be the rest of the block. One of these could easily be used to feed the second input to the stacker.

However, from what I hear in the industry most stackers have been returned as faulty!

Anyone out there successfully using a stacker?

The only other option is a descrete satellite dish on the balcony or wall, little triangular ones where on a thread here a couple of months ago.