1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ installation offer?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gordon mckenzie, Dec 18, 2002.

1. gordon mckenzie

gordon mckenzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was thinking of getting the sky+ upgrade offer for loyal customers but i was only interested in the box itself and not relocating to another room as i alredy have the sky- link and wasn`t interested in watching two premium channels at the same time. i thought i might be able to come to a deal and phoned but the best i could get was £275 including installation and £10 per month on top of my usual £37. nothing free for an intro period. am i looking for too much or has anybody else got a better deal or know of an up and coming offer for somebody who doesn`t want to pay two movie/sport subscriptions when i am happy to record something while my son is watching another, thanks, Gordon

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The £275 offer which is £250 for the hardware and £25 for the install is ok but if I was you I would seriously consider getting your existing digibox relocated for only another £25 and then get a BBC FTV smartcard for it instead of the "mirror" smartcard.
    At the very least your son will have full access to the free to air and free to view channels that are carried on SKY D and remember while someone is watchign a recording on SKY+ you can not watch another program from that device only record another.

The "lotalty" offer is designed to make a bad situation look good (Charging quite a bit of cash for something that costs SKY very little) and it does that well. The loyalty offer includes a combined SKY+ and Mirror subscription for £15, when they charge £10 just for SKY+ paying another £5 a month for the Mirror makes it look better value.

Either mirror or FTV it is certainly a better option to have more than one digital TV/Radio source in a family household.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Acc. to Digitalspy, some peeps are being offered this:

1. Sky+ set top box: £199
    2. Sky+ Sub: FREE! (1st year)
    3. Combined Sky+ and extra sub: £15/month
    4. Installation: £60

HTH,

Mike.

4. gordon mckenzie

gordon mckenzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    basically i work shifts and most of my viewing is late at night or during the day so watching a recording whilst someone else wants live is not a problem to me as i`ll catch up later. so all i want is sky+ with some kind of offer say for the first 12 months to persuade me and i`ll grudgingly pay £10 thereafter, Gordon

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I would point out that you are getting a far better deal than the early subscribers got who paid £300 for the hardware and another £50 (From SKY) for installation as well as paying over £120 already in subscriptions.

Hang on, looking at those figure it's a BLOODY RIPOFF !

:)

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am thinking about upgrading to sky+

Stupid question time, what is a mirror card? does it simply show what is been shown on the sky+ or can you watch different channels?

£15 for this and the sky+ sub doesn't seem to bad as it was £15 for an extra sun anyway

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The "mirror" card is a second smartcard that carries the same channels as your primary subscription so you can watch different subscription channels on both the SKY+ and the existing digibox. It is a cheaper option than paying full price for a second subscription but under the "mirror" T&C's both digiboxes that use the cards have to be connected to the same phone line for security issues.

It doesn't seem bad does it:)
    That's what the people in SKY marketing get paid for I guess to make something that costs pennies to SKY look good value at £15 a month to a subscriber.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers

i've never plugged my sky box to the phone line

I was quite pleased when i saw on watchdog some people had phone bills of thousands of pounds because their sky boxes constantly rang 192

There doesn't seem any difference to a Mirror card than a second subscription

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY are very lax about the phone connection requirment for a subsidised install they are not lax about prevent piracy of a mirror smartcard, many subscribers who ignored the T&C's have received letters from SKY already.
    Running up HUGE phone bills, yes and I wonder how many of those people entered prefixs in the hope of ordering PPV and not having it billed.

Mirror card is £15 a month and a second SKYworld subscription is £37 a month (£38 jan1st), pretty big difference if you ask me.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i meant in terms of what you get

why do they need it plugged in anyway? Can they tell if it is not?

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yes they order both boxes via satellite to call home on the same phone line and if they don't you are in breach of the T&C's and after a warning they can charge you full price for I assume the rest of the minimum term (simplisitic answer but basically sound).
    They do this because SKY know some of their "mirror" subscribers would sell the mirror smartcard or give to family/friends. This would then lose SKY a full price subscription either through cancellation or someone never subscribing in the first place.

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do they install the second box in a different room as part of the sky+ installation?

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes if you want them to and are willing to pay for it. The price depends upon what sort of deal you are getting from SKY for the hardware and install. I believe the "loyalty" deal relocates your existing digibox as well as installing the SKY+ for a £60 fee.
    The standard fee for relocation is £25 however that is only the price if the callout involves another service.

More details

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered it on the loyalty offer £259 inc installation of both boxes

extra £15 per month

but! to get the loyalty offer i had to get movies back, i had only just got rid. Hopefully i will be able to re get rid soon

If i hadn't it was around 380 with installation of both boxes and £25 per month

thanks for your help by the way

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i now have a new problem

X-box
    Sky+
    DVD Player

but only 2 optical audio inputs on my Tosh 32ZP18Q

any ideas? :confused:

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Does the Toshiba have a coaxial audio input as well optical?
    If so does the DVD player have a similar coaxial output that you can use instead of it's optical output.

Lektropacks have an optical splitter that allows a single input to be fed by three devices and I read in a newsgroup that Homebase has a simple (cheap) optical splitter.

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i use the coxial for the dvd

i have bought a splitter from B&Q for optical toshlinks. Fairly cheap and allows two Outputs/Inputs into 1 Input/Output.

I am not sure how the splitter will work when the x-box is on though because when it is there will be two optical sound outputs going into one input???

Another question about sky+

Is it possible to set it up so it will not tape adverts. I am sure some expensive vhs can?

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the sky+ come with a coxial optical output

otherwise i may have a problem

in that i would have to turn the sky+ off whilst playing on the xbox meaning i couldn't tape anything

I could use the splitter with the dvd and the x-box as i will never need them on at the same time

does the sky+ come with an optical lead?

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question starburst, I am sorry about all of this :blush:. I am very grateful though :)

Do you back up the things you record on sky+ onto DVD or VHS

I would be interested in say taping all of a TV series then burning onto dvd, it potentially could save me a fortune

Any info on how to do this would be great. It would require being able to remove ads though. I could put up with the logos i suppose

20. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why this extra subscription.
    of having your orig digi box relocated in say your bedroom.
    do they have to install a new dish?

21. jackal_jd

jackal_jd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant get to sleep and have read this whole thread.

You are eligable for the 'loyalty offer' if you have been on the Sky World package for 12 months. You get 2 options:

Sky+ box for £199
    Sky+ sub for extra £10 per month
    Installation for £50
    for £70 installation they will relocate your box and you can put a FTV card in it and just get the free channels.

OR

Sky+ box £199
    Sky+ and mirrored sub for old box for extra £15 per month
    Installation for £70

You can copy programmes from the sky+ HD to anything that plugs into the VCR SCART out. You select the programmes you want to copy in order you want them, then hit select and it will play the programmes in order out of the VCR scart. This means you would select the episodes of eg. friends in order you want them, hit instant record on the DVDR then start the copying on the sky+ and it will play them in order out of the VCR scart, giving their titles at the beginning of each episode.

The red dot does not get recorded on sky+.

Regarding the adverts. Expensive VCRs do record adverts , but just auto fast forward through them during playback (I think). On sky+ you just have to fast forward through them.

Regarding your problem about the digital audios. If I am correct, the 32ZP18Q has 2 optical in and 1 coaxial in. To avoid the problem buy an 'optical to coaxial converter' from maplin. Go to maplin.co.uk and put QN18U into the search field. With that, have the XBOX going into the coax, and have Sky+ going into one optical, and the DVD into the other. Note, you will also have to buy a coaxial cable for the converter as the XBOX goes into the converter, and a coaxial plugs into the converter one end, and into the coax in on the other. Get the QN16S cable (put that in the search on maplin).

For your installation a Quad LNB will be used to replace the current LNB. It has 4 dish outputs, instead of the current LNB that has 1. 2 outputs will be used going to the sky+ box, and another output will be used going to your mirror sub. You could even buy another digibox and have the 4th output going to that and use it with a Free to View card. This means another dish is not needed.

Please forgive the typos (look at the time of posting). Ask if you are unsure of I have not phrased something correctly.

Jon

22. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Personally I don't, I prefer my archieved material to be uncut first generation DVD (w/s and DD5.1 where possible).

See jackal_jd's post for recording info.
    The COPY command on SKY+ is handy if you want to archieve a lot of programs to VCR or DVD unattended but it includes program info and all the padding added to a recording not to mention the adverts.
    A standalone DVD recorder connected to the SKY+ will give you good results and when an advert comes press pause on the DVD recorder and then restart after the advert.
    I have my SKY+ connected to my PC via the s-video connection and the audio routed through my amp, this is mainly for video capture and editing which I do purely for fun of it :)

Record the SKY+ output onto the PC and then you can edit the video file, add your own titles, remove adverts and then use a PC DVD burner to create the DVD's.

23. jackal_jd

jackal_jd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, the code for the coax cable I gave is for an optical cable and I cant find a coaxial cable!

24. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will have a play when i get it next week

I am thinking of getting Phillips 890 DVDR

This has the facility of putting in titles and chapters, it can also be set up to auto skip the advert chapter.

I know what you mean about prefering to have material 1st generation but some of the TV series DVDs take ages to come out and usually have very little extras

Can the sky+ box be set up to the dvdr to record in dd5.1 on sky movies etc?

wouldn't this require an optical / coaxial lead from the sky+ to the dvdr?

with further opticals going to the TV from each of the DVDR and the Sky+?

This means the sky+ would need to have two optical ouputs, does it?

I hope that makes sense

yes the tosh comes with one optical one coaxial input, using the coaxial with the DVD player at the minute and the optical for the x-box

25. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I am not aware of a UK spec DVD recorder that can record a DD5.1 datastream from any source. The specs of the 890 are a little confusing as it says "Audio is digitally encoded in Dolby AC-3 (USA) or MPEG Audio (Europe)" but there does not seem to be an optical input for connecting to a DD5.1 source, only the optical output to feed a suitable amp.

The only way to get a DD datastream from SKY+ is via it's optical output and then only Premier W/S and a SBO channel or two carry a DD soundtrack.

As I sais it's a little confusing and that perhaps why I have no intention of buying into DVD recordable for some time:)

26. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone tell me or point me in the right of what the 'Free to View' channels are?

I'm just trying to work out whether these would be OK for the my children.

Thanks

Tim:)

27. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

On SKY digital a FTV (Free To View) channel is one that requires a smartcard but doesn't require a subscription.
    You can use a SKY digital smartcard that no longer carries a subscription package or get a smartcard from the BBC to use with SKY digtial.
    There are other channels on SKY digital that are FTA( Free To Air) and they do not require any sort of smartcard.

Here is as good as list as any and reasonably upto date...Wickonline

28. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Great heads up and link. Thanks Starburst

Tim:D

29. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to drag this one up again folks, but I'm dammed if I could get them to do the first option listed below as mentioned a few posts up. I even spoke with the Call Centre Manager who confirmed they couldn't and haven't ever done this...

You are eligable for the 'loyalty offer' if you have been on the Sky World package for 12 months. You get 2 options:

Sky+ box for £199
    Sky+ sub for extra £10 per month
    Installation for £50
    for £70 installation they will relocate your box and you can put a FTV card in it and just get the free channels.

OR

Sky+ box £199
    Sky+ and mirrored sub for old box for extra £15 per month
    Installation for £70

.... in the end I had the following offered to me:

Sky+ Box = £199
    Installation of Sky+ Box, relocate existing standard Sky box into seperate bedroom, link Sky plus box upto existing 'TV link' in master bedroom = £60
    Sky+ mirrored subscription = £15 a month

This (as standard with the 'loyalty offer') is a 12 month subscription and requires an upgrade to the world package.

Tim

30. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky really are quite odd at times, the bloke who was doing it for me originally had to speak to his line manager about 3 or 4 times to complete the order.

Originally they claimed i didn't qualify for the loyalty offer as I only had sky world (I didn't have the movies). However, they said if I upgraded to sky world they would allow me to take up the offer. I asked how long I would have to remain on World and he didn't know.

The stuff I have received since claims it is 12 months

I was definitely quoted a price of £259.99 not the £269.99 (199.99 + 70) so I will read my credit card bill with interest when it arrives

so they are doing a total installation for £60 :confused: which is the same as I must have been quoted. So why did they drop from 70 to 60?

If you are using the tv link I am pretty sure you will need a second sky+ remote as the ordinary remote will only control certain functions