1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + installation nightmare :(

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tim k, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After finally organising an installation in my apartment things went steadilly down hill.

My situation: I live in a new apartment block with communal dish, first off i went to the sky website that said sky + was not viable. I did a lot of searching on this forum as to why I couldnt have sky + installed and found out it was due to the dual feed issue, and the pre-installed communal was not compatible. I was then wandering around in town and found a sky bus doing a presentation, I asked if it was possible to have sky + installed on my balcony, yes sir, no problem, (this was the only viable option as it the balcony would essentially hide the dish from the road below), sky installation was booked 2 weeks ahead. After looking forward to the delights of sky + and restless night last night!! the engineers arrived. As soon as they arrived they said, all glum faced, this aint possible. They said that having the dish on the balcony would not work as the railings infront would get in the way of the signal. Let me explain the balcony;

It is patio floored, the outer wall is a plastic type of panelling, it is about 3 foot deep, and infront is a railing as high as the outer wall window. Infront of the railing is a 2 foot concrete ledge.

Now the only way they said was possible was by putting a patio mount on the concrete ledge, this in affect incurring costs, and time due to another prebooked installation, they also said they wouldnt carry out the work without the permission of the management company (via builders) as it was on their head if they drilled into the property, I own the apartment and I have been told it is allowed on the balcony but i dont think i'd get it in writing!!

Please can anyone come up with some answers, and dont tell me about the de-stackers etc!!!

2. tykeman

tykeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try approaching your management company for permission in writing to mount the dish.

Failing that as you have ruled out a stacker try moving house!

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats not going to be an option i dont think, I'm tempted to rebook the install and just see if the next engineer is prepared to attach it to the railings, i really cant see why this isnt possible, and therefore hiding it from the road. Is it possible to demand the equipment only on the 99 quid deal?? I'm tempted to put it up myself, but not prepared to pay over the odds.

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow If the metal railings are going to be in front of the dish face you might as well forget it. You can't demand the engineer leaves the kit behind either, he has to either fit it or cancel the job.