sky installation lost digital plus more

Iamfemail

Standard Member
Reaction score
Set up - Sky hd 2tb box in downstairs lounge, tv in kitchen and daughter's bedroom connected to it - don't know how but both tvs have magic eyes. Only the tv in kitchen is digital and therefore has also received digital channels with no problems… until now.
Had a new sky hd 2tb box installed today in master bedroom in place of old sky plus box. Sony tv in master bedroom, also used to be able to view downstairs hd box in master bedroom and could even change channels on downstairs box if I connected up magic eye - didn't always have eye connected as obviously would conflict when watching old sky plus box in bedroom when someone watching hd box downstairs. Magic eye was connected to aerial type lead going into back of tv, I was also able to receive digital channels.

This morning sky man connected up new 2tb sky box in master bedroom. I made it clear that I would still wish to watch downstairs box upstairs. However I now cannot get digital tv, or watch the downstairs sky box from upstairs. My daughter's tv is also not working and neither is the tv in the kitchen. The only tv that is still receiving digital channels is the one in the downstairs lounge.

The sky man only went into the upstairs master bedroom to connect new box so I don't understand how tvs that were connected to the older sky box downstairs have been affected. Also where have my digital channels gone?

Rang sky guy, who'd left his number, said he'd ring me back and hasn't! He said he put everything in the same holes as the old box and the only thing that he changed was the hdmi thing.

I've gone through the settings and made sure the RF thing in settings is on.
I rang Sky and I felt like I'd slipped back 50 years as a very polite man said my husband would probably fix it for me when he gets home…he died last year so I think that unlikely. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Just to be 100% clear, when you mention "digital channels" you mean terrestrial Freeview channels?
I'd have a complaint in to Sky on the form at MySky about the disgraceful comment their agent made.
Logi

Thank you logiciel - yes, sorry freeview channels I guess - I know the old sony tv cant get them but the newer sonys can and I used to be able to access them by pressing digital on the tv remote then going back to sky by pressing analogue.
Glad it's not just me being sensitive re the comment about husband fixing it.

OK thanks for making that point clear.
As you now have all the satellite channels in the master bedroom on the new machine what is the point in also having the other Sky machine's current channel in there, and the FV channels?
Both ought to be available, as they were before, and we should be able to find out how to get them back, but do you really need them?
To begin on a solution could you look at the original PVR to check that a cable is connected to its RF2 Out socket?

Thanks logiciel.
The reason why I'd like to view the downstairs box upstairs is that basically it's more convenient for me to watch what I've recorded on the downstairs box in the comfort of my bedroom - my sky plus box, that the new 2tb box replaced, wasn't working for about a month.
Sorry what is "the original PVR"?
On the new box there's a cable running out of RF 1 into the wall.
There was a cable running out of RF2 but it was running into dvd player that hasn't been switched on for a very long time.

OK - that's understandable but now you can record on the new machine that's in the room already.
The machine that I was suggesting that you check is the original one, that's used to supply the channel to the other rooms.
The way it's meant to do that is to have a cable, from its RF2 Out socket, which usually goes to a wallplate socket marked Return.
Are you sure there's actually a cable from the wallplate to the RF1 Out socket of the new machine?

Thank you logiciel!!! It's all working thanks to your advice and someone else's on another forum. I'd ignored looking at the other box downstairs as nobody has been in that room and everything was working fine before sky man came. Goodness knows how but the rf cable had come out of the back of the downstairs box..ghosts?
Anyway, yep there's definitely a cable coming out of the back of the new upstairs sky box (RF out1) and is going into the wall - any ideas what that is for?

You've been away from AVF?:confused::D
Anyway good to hear that got it going.:thumbsup:
It must have been a poltergeist that pulled the plug.
The PVR's RF1 Out is for connection to a TV so are any of yours showing its current channel?
My point about the complaint to Sky was genuine - that agent was way out of order.
Logi

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom