SKY+ Installation booking problems

D

DORSETAV

Firstly I booked at installation of SKY + and asked for a digibox manufactured by PACE. I was told the standard company policy (ie you cannot pick which box you get) I then explained the problem many customers have had with Amstrad boxes, but I was told the only thing I could do was cancel when the engineer phoned if he only had Amstrad boxes. The lady who booked by installation told be it was not possible to tell when a PACE box would turn up, to which I repled that I was happy to wait.

I duely cancelled my first installation engineer, and rebooked, however when the second engineer only had Amstrad boxes I also cancelled.

I then recieved a call from the installations department and was told that I could not rebook and I was 'wasting everybody's time'.
I then tried to contact a complaints department, but only succeeded in getting the call centre in India, who the routed my call back to Installations in Scotland.

After explaining my disatisfaction as a potential customer, I was allowed to rebook an engineer visit for today (Sat 05/02/02).

I was called by the installation engineer last night and again he only had Amstrad boxes in stock, however he advised me that I should cancel my booking, and then go to an authorised retailer (Comet, Currys...etc) and book an Install through them, paying for the box in store and obtainnig a PACE box directly from them.

This afternoon, I visited my local branch of Currys in Poole (Wessex Gate Retail Park). I asked the assitant and he said the price was £149 with one month free (assuming taking the top package). Although this works out at £70 more expensive than booking through BskyB direct I decided that I was prepared to pay the extra and obtain a PACE box.

The assistant checked the stock, and indeed they had PACE boxes in the store. I filled out the contract and went to pay, however when the manager was called to verify the price he said 'it was £49.95 payable in store, and the balance to be paid to the installer'. He then checked the procedure and informed me that this did not allow me to take the box with me, and that a box would be provided by the engineer at time of install.

I explained that this was then in effect no different to what I had tried to book previously and that in fact they were charging an extra £70 for providing no sevice over and above going to sky direct. He agreed that this was the case.

To summarise then :-

I am unable to obtain a PACE SKY + box direct from SKY, I have gone out and located one for which I am prepared to pay an extra £70. I have now been told that although the retailer has them in stock they will not (or indeed cannot !)sell me one.

Note: I have sent a copy of the above direct to James Murdoch head of BsyB, so watch this space ! :laugh:

Hi all,

Guess no one is interested in this thread then as no replies........thought it might generate lots of discussion !

Hi, I have just ordered a second Sky+ box with MultiRoom... and after reading this post I am going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I certainly don't want an Amstrad. My current box is a Pace and have had no problems.

If your prepared to pay an extra £70 have you thought about purchasing a box from a Sat supplier, or even off eBay. Sky will probably charge extra installation costs because your not buying the box from them but hey, you might even catch a steal.

DORSETAV said:
Hi all,

Guess no one is interested in this thread then as no replies........thought it might generate lots of discussion !

Why don't you try havig a look in your local yellow pages and seeing if there is a reputable looking Satellite installer. Ring them. Tell them what you want and ask if they can do it.

Worth a try.

Roger

I'm pretty sure if you ring sky now they will charge you £149 and offer first month free. £99 was january sale price, so you've missed out on that now.

Maybe you should have taken the amstrad and then phoned with problems until they swapped it for a pace (also asking for subscription refunds). I know some people have had success this way.

Guys,

Thanks for the rellies todate..................

I have contacted a local Sat installer but the price they want to supply & fit the box is somewhere in the region of £300.

I posted the story to highlight the stupidity of SKY not being able to let me select my box of choice, and then changing procedures to stop a retailer supplying a box that they had in stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom