• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky+ installation advice

zak08

Standard Member
Hi there,

i was wondering if anyone could tell me about the sky installation process, such as whats installed, and where its installed etc??Ill be getting sky tv,sky phone and sky broadband.

The 'problem' i have is this:
bt are coming to install a line (and as far as i know they will only install one socket). I have a computer room upstairs with computers (obvioulsy!lol) hooked up via ethernet to my current wireless router (which ill change when i get sent the new router from sky etc). The tv is downstairs in the living room and i would like the phone to be there as well (as it is at the moment, btw im with vm just now and am switching over).

So i guess the question is, where should i get bt to install the line?upstairs is easiest as the master socket is in the attic, and that would mean it wouldnt be a problem connecting the wireless router up and having my computers connected. BUT that would mean the phone would have to be upstairs.....

Does the sky+ box require a phone line or anything like that?if so, do sky add this??

I hope ive made it clear what my dilema is!

zak

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Where is your cable input? Downstairs, I presume. You must, (I think), have a phone line connection between the box and the "master" phone socket upstairs. If you get BT to install their master socket downstairs, (I doubt they would go into an attic anyway), you could utilise the existing phone line connection to get upstairs.

Maybe totally wrong.........

And yes, if you do not have an accessible phone socket when Sky is installed they will charge you an extra fee.

zak08

Standard Member
thanks for the reply.

the property has already had a bt line years ago (before i moved in) and following the wire from an old non working normal bt phone socket in the hall downstairs, it leads all the way up to the attic where i assume the master socket is (ie where the line comes in from the outside). Would bt use this 'master' phone socket, or would it be easier creating a new one elsewhere?(would i even be given the choice?!!)

So am i right in thinking that sky will connect the sky+ box to the 'master' phone socket?and if this 'master' socket is upstairs in the attic will they still do it, or do they require it to be near the tv or something?

Forgot to mention that the property already has an unused sky dish installed, but im not sure where it comes in to the house about, i think possibly it comes in in the attic

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
At the risk of repeating myself: "Where is your cable input? Downstairs, I presume. You must, (I think), have a phone line connection between the box and the "master" phone socket upstairs."

zak08

Standard Member
sorry, not sure i understand when you say 'where is your cable input'. Do u mean where the old bt line from outside, comes in to the house??i thought this is the 'master' phone socket (or have i got that wrong) from which extensions/second lines stem from?? in which case this would be in the attic.

zak08

Standard Member
ah right, the vm input from what i can see comes in downstairs next to the tv, where it goes to the vm digibox and another cable for the phone box next to it.

how does this help tho?

zak

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
So how does the phone box connect to the "master" socket in the attic?

zak08

Standard Member
the 'master' socket in the attic is the bt line (from before i moved in), it comes in to the house in the attic, but not sure exactly where in the attic.

the Virgin media master socket is in the living room, but i dont think this is of any relevance.

sorry if ive confused you!

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Have you actually been up into the attic to see if there is a socket there? (I very much doubt it, from what you have written here.)

My suspicion is that the BT line enters your house through the attic and runs directly to your hall "master" socket. Your BT "installation" will just be the reactivation of your line, and you will have to run your own telephone extensions upstairs and to your lounge.

zak08

Standard Member
ive been up in to the attic to look but cant find anything (albeit it wasnt a thorough search).

If what you say is true, that the 'master' socket is the socket in the hall (with the bt line coming in at the attic and running down), this socket no longer has any wires connected to it/in it (ive checked).

Do u think bt would start afresh, so to speak? Ive decided to just have the phone line in the living room next to the tv (so that the phone, sky+ and wireless router can be connected. The computers upstairs ill just buy a cheap usb wifi adapter). This would be right next to the outside wall of the house (and is where the Virgin media 'master' socket thingy is). would be easier than faffing about in the attic.

Also, how are sky in terms of installing the tv? As i mentioned before, there's already a sky dish outside that i think my come in to the attic, would sky use this, or replace the dish etc and have it come in again in the living room, similar to VM?

thanks!

zak

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure anyone can help you. Your communications are all contradictory:

"...the master socket is in the attic....."
"...ive been up in to the attic to look but cant find anything..."

"...this socket no longer has any wires connected to it/in it..."
"...following the wire from an old non working normal bt phone socket in the hall downstairs.."

I suggest you just let BT and Sky work out what you want.

"...how are sky in terms of installing the tv..." Sky don't install your TV. They will run wires from a dish to your digibox and connect the digibox to your TV, (and working phone socket)

zak08

Standard Member
im sorry if my communications seem contradictory to you. ill try and clear things up.

I know sky dont install the tv, that was bad wording on my part. i meant to say how are they in terms of installing the sky dish/sky+ box. i know they will run the wire from the dish to the digibox (and connect the digibox to the tv) but will they do this even if the wire from the dish goes through the attic or do they expect the wire from the dish to come in to the house at a more accessible/easier to get to point?will they replace the current/old dish on the property, or use it?

As for the bt part, there is an old socket in the hall (it has a fixed upper part, and removable lower part. The socket is embedded in to the wall). this has the wire leading to it cut (and no internal wires). BUT the wire that WAS connected to the box has been rolled up/tied and put against the side of the stairs, near the top landing (and has been chewed by the cat). Tracing this phone line BACK the way, leads to the attic.

Going in to the attic and tracing the wire, it goes under some plywood used for standing on, and thus can not see fully which direction it goes on to. (does this make sense?). I am assuming here that this wire leads to some sort of junction box ('master' socket?is that the right terminology?) that will connect the black phone line outside, to inside the house. I am assuming this, as i cant find/varify it.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Forget about any existing wiring. Just tell BT and Sky where you want your socket/equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom