Sky+ Installation Advice

H

hutchingsp

Thinking of getting Sky+ (already have full Sky package).

I'm not sure yet if I'd want to relocate the existing Digibox since it could be a bit of a cabling nightmare - the TVs on an inside wall in that room so I don't see how they'd get around having a slug of co-ax trailing the skirting board around the room?

I've been reading all the horror stories about the installers you get on the freebie installations so I was thinking of trying a local independant.. thing is how do you choose one?

For "word of mouth" you need to know quite a few people in your area with Sky.

I'm near Lichfield/Stafford/Tamworth so if anyone can suggest anyone it'd be helpful.

regards,
Paul

When Sky have done my instals they've been helpfull, but they aint going to spend time concealing wires. I doubt an independant would either as it could take ages. you know the construction of your home (solid floors etc) get the cheapest install & with the box /link where you want it then hide the cable yourself. My Sky engineer was quite happy to drill a few extra holes in walls for different cable runs in the future. You'll pay a premium for 'hiding', & even then I doubt they'll spend time puting cables in wall cavaties & fishing for the other end.

we're talking about the cable coming in through an existing but sealed hole, which is right next to a door frame, with the TV about 2 feet past the other side of the doorframe - god knows if this will explain but here goes:

-|-/--TV--
|
|

I'm thinking just run the cable around the doorframe or maybe under the carpet..

Ask the installer to give you enough 'slack' on the cable and then tidy it up yourself later. A mug if tea and a sandwich will get you a lot of extra cable. for a few weeks you can hide the cable as best you can and then tidy it up as much as you like later on. Changing the F-type connector on the cable is dead easy so long as you're careful not to short the earth and signal.

Well I think I've decided to "go for it".. all that remains is deciding whether to just order online direct from Sky or go to a local shop.

I did stop by the comet/currys on the local retail park and frankly they seemed either disinterested in getting £200 from me, or they're just bloody clueless?!

Does anyone happen to know for definate whether the £1 installation is only available direct from Sky, and what their ballpark leadtime on installs is?

If they can't install for 6 weeks (I recall someone mentioning mid-april) I'd probably pay £50 or whatever a local contractor wants to do it..

Paul

I went to my local installer who is: - http://www.italvision.co.uk/
and they charge £ 249.00 including Sky+ box and installation, they do a good job. I already had a sat receiver and 80cm dish installed (not sky) and they are very friendky and professional

Gerry

I have just had sky+ installed i paid £200, free instalation if you order online and move your existing box to another room and take up the £10 duplicate subscription.

My installers just came down the wall and straight through the wall behing the tv. No mess no wires to be concelled, very quick. As for the time period i rang on thurs and they came on the following thurs could have been wed but i was busy

I live in north staffs if thats any help. Had no probs with the installers and i can safely say it was money well spent only had it last week and i dont knw how i ever managed without it

Just filled out the first few bits on the website and they can do it this Sunday :)

Just wading through 1100 lines of T&Cs (why don't they have a plain english "how can you screw me over" section?!

main thing is that my existing box is upstairs in a back room, which is where the Sky+ would go, the existing box would go downstairs in the front living room so my mum doesn't need one of those nasty freeview thingies!

don't wish to sound like an idiot here, but I presume 2 cables need to go to the Sky+ box?

will i need a new viewing card? i know they'll send a mirror card but i'm thinking with installation so close i don't want to be stuck with my old digibox usable but in another room whilst i can't use my new toy until they send a new card..

oh.. and any idea how anal they are about it being connected to a phone line? I almost never do anything interactive, my mum certainly wont and it's one less cable running around the skirting boards.
Paul

Originally posted by hutchingsp

Does anyone happen to know for definate whether the £1 installation is only available direct from Sky, and what their ballpark leadtime on installs is?

If they can't install for 6 weeks (I recall someone mentioning mid-april) I'd probably pay £50 or whatever a local contractor wants to do it..

Paul

The £1 install deal is the result of price savings made by using an online automated ordering system so yes that price is only available from SKY.
During the ordering process you should be given potential install dates before you finally confirm the order.

Ah, just spotted the later post:blush:

don't wish to sound like an idiot here, but I presume 2 cables need to go to the Sky+ box?

will i need a new viewing card? i know they'll send a mirror card but i'm thinking with installation so close i don't want to be stuck with my old digibox usable but in another room whilst i can't use my new toy until they send a new card..

oh.. and any idea how anal they are about it being connected to a phone line? I almost never do anything interactive, my mum certainly wont and it's one less cable running around the skirting boards.
Paul

Yes SKY+ uses two cables from the LNB.

SKY will only send a mirror card if that is what you have ordered.
So did you order it and confirm it will cost you £10 a month?
By ordering the mirror card you also accept the conditions in regard to the phone requirments, both digiboxes which are using the original smartcard and the mirror card have to be connected to the same phone line. SKY do enforce this requirment and will issue warnings, final result of failing to comply will be you being charged full price for the mirror card.
If you haven't order a mirror card then the existing smartcard will be used for the SKY+ box, you can not officially buy a FTV card for the other digibox anymore.
The SKY+ contract states a phone connection is required, however the original box if it is outside the 12 month minimum term of the initial contract does not need a phone connection.

Originally posted by Starburst
The SKY+ contract states a phone connection is required, however the original box if it is outside the 12 month minimum term of the initial contract does not need a phone connection.

My current digibox is a good few years old, so if I understand you correctly it wouldn't need to be connected to the phone if relocated to another room with the £10 mirror card?

Don't get me wrong I've got the T&Cs in front of me but there's bloody loads of it.. just trying to make sure there's no big stumbling block that I'm going to encounter..

regards,
Paul

My current digibox is a good few years old, so if I understand you correctly it wouldn't need to be connected to the phone if relocated to another room with the £10 mirror card?

Don't get me wrong I've got the T&Cs in front of me but there's bloody loads of it.. just trying to make sure there's no big stumbling block that I'm going to encounter..

regards,
Paul

Any box using the mirror card has to be connected to the same phone line as the box using the original smartcard.

A digibox installed under the subsidised deal only has to have a phone connection for 12 months, after that it can be removed if you are using a normal SKY smartcard, FTV card or no card at all.

I orderd my Sky+ which will be pluged into the phone line. I paid a one off £20 to have my old box relocated but just to use for FTV channels.

Will i get a FTV card for this and i assume i will not need old box conected to telephone line.

i presume you told sky that your old box would be fta, if so they will send you another viewing card, normally new card goes in old box and old card into sky+

ps no fone line requires for fta:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom