Sky+ install problem = help please!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by apcee, Jan 21, 2005.

1. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've recently installed Sky + but was unable to receive any signals. The original single LNB worked fine, as does the Sky + box. I therefore thought that the new quad LNB was faulty, but I have just received a replacement and I am still without any signals on either input. Any ideas as to what is wrong?
    Tony

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Assuming you haven't changed any of the engineer's settings on the box, I would guess at a faulty cable. The power for the LNB goes up the co-ax, and just one strand of copper shorting the inner to the outer will cause the supply to shut down and give no signals on either cable.

3. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the install myself. Added the second cable and replaced the original receiver with the new Sky + box. I have also got Sky + activated. If it was the cable would ithe single LNB not work also?

4. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have downloaded the new firmware, but haven't done anything with regard to settings - is there anything to be done there?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If there is a short in the cable you fitted, it could stop the LNB working. There is a hidden menu with LNB settings (Press Services, 4, 0, 1, Select on the remote), Option 1 - LNB settings. For what it's worth, my Sky+ settings are:

Low band Freq : 9.75
    High Band Freq : 10.60
    LNB Power Supply : ON
    22KHz Switching : ON

This works on my system - no guarantees that it will work on yours, I'm afraid :)

6. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tested each of the two cables - they both work when using the single LNB so I assume that they're ok. However, when I connect the Quad LNB there's no signal. I've looked at the LNB settins and they rae the same as tours. I really feel at a loss. Any other suggestions gratefully received & thanks for your trouble so far.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's possible that you have two faulty LNB's. Unless you have a sympathtic friend that will loan you their box, or let you connect your LNB to their system, I'm not sure what else you can do.

8. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well at least it's not only me that's puzzled, I thought that I'd overlooked something really simple. What are the odds of having two brand new LNB which prove to be faulty! I think I'll stay in for a few days if my luck is that bad!!

9. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm clutching at straws here... but does the new LNB need to re-calibrated (direction-wise) in any way or should the original location be ok?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends if you have managed to dislodge the dish (not a sky bod) but can you connect to any of the 4 inputs or do you have to use box input1 to LNB out1???

11. apcee

apcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I don't think I've dislodged the dish, and I''ve spent all day messing about with the connectors - just no signal input whatever i do. Ho hum.

12. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quad LNB is heavier than a single and pulls the feed arm down slightly. Try pushing up on the arm a little,this should put the dish back on the correct elevation setting. Get someone to watch the signal strength/quality readings as you do it.