• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Install Help

PBR

Gents,

Not really sure if this is the right area - I hope it is. I know there is a Sky Forum so feel free to direct me to there (shucks my answer is probably there:facepalm:)

Basically I have bought a new house and due to the developer want the asthestics to always be nice in his developments there is a clause which allows NO Sky Dish to be placed on your own house - instead they supply a communal Satellite Dish and will provide me with TWO and only TWO Sky connections.

My question is - what should I be looking to do to properly split this out and make sure I have the necessary amount of feeds. I plan to have 5 "TV" Points throughout the house. My original plan (before I knew this clause existed) was to have a Sky HD Box in the main room and I would feed that to one or two others through HDMI->Cat6 connections/baluns (is this a good idea and is it the right idea?)

My idea now needs to implment a splitter of some description - with a splitter will I be able to delivery HD to multiple rooms etc (obviously I will require a Sky HD box at these points as well)

Any advice, please :facepalm:

neilball

You will not be able to have multiple SkyHD boxes with any less than 4 feeds from the dish which in turn could be fed into a multiswitch (sort of like an aerial distribution amplifier but for satellite signals).

Very often the multiswitch needs fixed signals from the dish (which has two frequencies and polarities) hence needing 4 cables to carry the 4 different combinations of signals.

If the developer will not allow any negotiation on this then you could run using single-feed mode on the main HD box and have one other box (could be the non-recording HD unit recently announced), but the compromise here is that your main box will only have one active tuner so when recording you will not be able to watch another channel or record two channels at once on the main box.

If you only ever want to watch the same things in different locations (i.e. only have one main box) then using a splitter to feed several TVs would deal with that and only requires the 2 satellite feeds available from the developer.

PBR

Neil (or anyone else)

If they are only able to provide me with 2 points (ie 2 fixed dish cables) is there anyway I can run this through a splitter/multiplexer to get 2 in and say 6 out so I can have 4 for HD (in 2 rooms) and 2 for standard sky?

Also does anyone have an opinon on the HDMI->Cat6 balun stuff?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Neil (or anyone else)

If they are only able to provide me with 2 points (ie 2 fixed dish cables) is there anyway I can run this through a splitter/multiplexer to get 2 in and say 6 out so I can have 4 for HD (in 2 rooms) and 2 for standard sky?

Also does anyone have an opinon on the HDMI->Cat6 balun stuff?

No to the multiswitches, you need a quattro LNB hence 4 cables, see here:

Multiswitch. Multiswitches to be used with a quatro LNB. Satellite Superstore UK. Big Discounts.

HDMI via cat6 should work fine.

logiciel

It might be possible to use two feeds for more than two receivers as long as you only try to use no more than two tuners at the same time.
The alternative of splitting the HDMI output is available and the CAT cable method is the way to go about it.

PBR

I think (well I am certain) there are TWO Communal dishes serving 16 cables (2 to each property, I believe) so they are coming from a pair of octal LNBs...

but if I understand you correctly I can't "split" these cables again via a multswitch etc I would need another additional Sky Dish?

PBR

It might be possible to use two feeds for more than two receivers as long as you only try to use no more than two tuners at the same time.
The alternative of splitting the HDMI output is available and the CAT cable method is the way to go about it.

I was thinking I would like Sky HD in my lounge and Sky HD in my room. To achieve this I would have a single sky HD box with TWO Feeds (for HD+) and then I could run HDMI -> CAT6 to my room and use the baluns... would it be like this;

Sky+HD -> HDMI -> Cat6 Balun -> this would go to two rooms lounge and master bedroom to come out as TWO x cat6 balun boxes delivering 2 HDMI points and allowing Sky HD to work in lounge and master bedroom - right?

Am I stupid?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you need to get the developer to install a multiswitch near the dish so they can provide more connections to all properties. You can't do it on your own with only 2 cables.

PBR

Sounds like you need to get the developer to install a multiswitch near the dish so they can provide more connections to all properties. You can't do it on your own with only 2 cables.

Would you mind giving me some more detail on this mate? Something I can go back to him with? Thank you very much.

Edit; Could I use the two cables he's giving me and put my own multiswitch in? Or does it HAVE to be done at the Octal LNB points?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Would you mind giving me some more detail on this mate? Something I can go back to him with? Thank you very much.

Edit; Could I use the two cables he's giving me and put my own multiswitch in? Or does it HAVE to be done at the Octal LNB points?

See the link in post #4 above. You need a minimum of 4 inputs into a multiswitch, though larger ones giving more outputs but requiring more inputs are available.

PBR

See the link in post #4 above. You need a minimum of 4 inputs into a multiswitch, though larger ones giving more outputs but requiring more inputs are available.
With you now mate. So... if I say please put XYZ in from looking at that link I reckon the 5 in 24 out or something they will plug 5 cables from the Octal LNB into that and then they can give me my 6 cables?

Dude - thank you very much :thumbsup::thumbsup::clap:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I was thinking I would like Sky HD in my lounge and Sky HD in my room. To achieve this I would have a single sky HD box with TWO Feeds (for HD+) and then I could run HDMI -> CAT6 to my room and use the baluns... would it be like this;

Sky+HD -> HDMI -> Cat6 Balun -> this would go to two rooms lounge and master bedroom to come out as TWO x cat6 balun boxes delivering 2 HDMI points and allowing Sky HD to work in lounge and master bedroom - right?

Am I stupid?

I'm not sure you can go to 2 baluns on the end, you may need a splitter after the balun... Such a setup would only pipe the output from the Sky HD box to a second TV, remember you'd still need a way of controlling the box if you wanted to use all it's features.

PBR

I'm not sure you can go to 2 baluns on the end, you may need a splitter after the balun... Such a setup would only pipe the output from the Sky HD box to a second TV, remember you'd still need a way of controlling the box if you wanted to use all it's features.

What would I need to achieve that?

logiciel

I was thinking I would like Sky HD in my lounge and Sky HD in my room.
To watch a different channel in each room you'd need a receiver in each room, each with one of your two dish connections, and "multiroom".
With one receiver in only one room, taking both connections, you'd get use of the Sky+ facilities. From that receiver you could use the CAT system to take the current channel to the TV in another room, or to more than one. That's restrictive and you'd do better to get the developer to use those multiswitches to give you more dish connections, again with "multiroom" for separate receivers.

Last edited:

Johnbyte

I'm not sure we've clarified what precisely you're trying to achieve. OK, you want Sky+HD both in your lounge and your (bed)room.

Do you want to watch different things at the same time in different rooms, or do you want to watch only whatever is on the lounge Sky box, but additionally from the (bed)room?

If it's the first, you need either Sky multiroom or a multiswitch - both of which will require more than two cables from the dish.

If it's the latter, you only need two cables from the dish, one Sky+HD box, and distribution of the HDMI output either by a splitter and HDMI cable, or by a splitter and Cat 5/6 cable+baluns.

PBR

OK Let me explain it again - sorry guys :)

I have 5 "TV Points" in my home - this is basically 5 points where I will have a TV. I would like the capability to have these all cabled to accecpt/provide Sky HD.

I won't necessarily be using all 5 ever at any one time. I would have this scenario;

Lounge - Sky HD
Sunroom / Kitchen - Sky HD
Master Bedroom - Sky HD
Bedroom 2 - Sky (no + etc)
Bedroom 3 - Sky (no + etc)

ideally I would like all of them to be independent but would expect this is £10/room for Multiroom?!

I guess this setup would be OK;

Master Bedroom / Sunroom / Kitchen - Share the same feed (HD)
Lounge - Indépendant (HD)
Bedroom 2 & 3 could be independant Freesat channels - no need for Sky subscription.

Would this work?

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
OK Let me explain it again - sorry guys :)

I have 5 "TV Points" in my home - this is basically 5 points where I will have a TV. I would like the capability to have these all cabled to accecpt/provide Sky HD.

I won't necessarily be using all 5 ever at any one time. I would have this scenario;

Lounge - Sky HD
Sunroom / Kitchen - Sky HD
Master Bedroom - Sky HD
Bedroom 2 - Sky (no + etc)
Bedroom 3 - Sky (no + etc)

ideally I would like all of them to be independent but would expect this is £10/room for Multiroom?!

I guess this setup would be OK;

Master Bedroom / Sunroom / Kitchen - Share the same feed (HD)
Lounge - Indépendant (HD)
Bedroom 2 & 3 could be independant Freesat channels - no need for Sky subscription.

Would this work?
You are going to need 6 independent feeds to the digiboxes which means 4 independent feeds into your house from the communal system to feed a multiswitch located in your home OR 6 independent feeds from the communal system - either way the communal system will need an upgraded (or new) multiswitch. I would be very dubious that the system is at present two dishes with octo lnbs as that would be an extremely amateur,cheapskate and not easily upgradeable system.

PBR

and what would be the best way to "move" the HD feed around to another point in the house whilst mainting control of the Sky HD Box? ie from Lounge to Sunroom/Kitchen area.

logiciel

CAT cable for the channel currently selected on the receiver, wireless IR extender to send remote control back to it.

logiciel

When you first mentioned it I thought you knew more about it than I do, which is very little!
A Google search threw up these details, from a US site, but no doubt you could get the items in the UK too: HDMI to CAT-5E.
The developer would handle it if you went for the extra dish feeds but I don't know how, if at all, he'd come into the CAT way of doing it.
The remote control going back is easier for me - that would be a Powermid set or something similar from Amazon.
Alternatively there are some very expensive HD videosenders....
HTH - Logi.

Last edited:

logiciel

You mean they say they can't or won't improve on "a communal Satellite Dish <to> provide....only two Sky connections"?
That IS pretty restrictive these days when it's common to have several satellite receivers.
Or did you mean about the internal extensions, or both?
They're things you could do yourself, though not as effectively, or as tidily.

Last edited:

PBR

They won't improve on the 2 connections and keep mentioning it's a massive cost and I would have to have all residents agree etc... It's really flipppppping frustrating.

I don't have permission to put a Sky dish on my home due to the contract :(

logiciel

There are two sides to everything and I can see both in this one, but it comes down to "buyer beware".
In "My original plan (before I knew this clause existed)" you should have checked the clause before you made any plan.;)
That plan was to "feed that to one or two others through HDMI->Cat6 connections/baluns" and you asked "is this a good idea?".
The answer is yes, though it's about feeding the current channel, not the satellite feed as you apparently intended.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom