sky increase

simonjenkins

Established Member
Reaction score
sky have once again put up the prices be it subscription/broadband and i struggle every year when sky does this, sky never says we are going to lower
your subscription do thay, you feel like your being shafted once again into giving them more money and im the one wh has to find it, we
have heard all this energy firms putting up their prices and dont give a toss about the customers and now sky/bt/virgin cable are joining
the line up all saying the prices are changing in 1st april, me being a sky customer ever since thay started way back in 1989 have always
gone and came back when ever i felt like it, im like a yoyo, but i have to tell you im thinking of leaving for good and seeking out some of these
other channels such has netflix and see if thay offer me better, i pay £50 a month and recieve sky football/history/discovery channels but
no movie channels, i cancelled them a few months back, anyway whats your feeling about the sky increase, im not a happy chap,

Mine too, it's gone up £7.50p in total for me.
The one that gets me now is the extra £2 for UHD, this is ridiculous really. Considering this is fast becoming the norm

My last payment to sky comes at the end of this month. So many more ways to get the same programmes now.

Mine too, it's gone up £7.50p in total for me.
The one that gets me now is the extra £2 for UHD, this is ridiculous really. Considering this is fast becoming the norm
£2 for UHD doesn’t seem so bad when you consider BT charge £5 for HD with BD Sport!

It's an extra £2, on-top of the £4 already paid. So mine is a total of £83.49 and will now be £89.99.

This is every channel possible, including sports and movies, UHD, Multi-screen, Disney, Netflix.

It’s ridiculous charging for HD these days.

Sky need a lot more UHD content to justify charging extra, but since when has that bothered them? They charge extra because the can.

Got rid of Sky TV last April and haven’t missed it (have Apple TV, Netflix, Disney, Prime and BT Sport). Value was no longer there even with the constant discounts offered to stay every year at renewal time.

Now looking to move away from Sky Broadband which is proving more difficult as other providers down seem to be able to offer the same speeds.

It’s ridiculous charging for HD these days.

Sky need a lot more UHD content to justify charging extra, but since when has that bothered them? They charge extra because the can.
You have to look at how some channels are funded. For example. channels that are part of the HD sub get a kickback from Sky based on the number of HD subscribers, so if you know how many HD subscribers there are, the calculation is easy.

As for UHD, Sky have always charged £4 for it but depending on your package it gets discounted by up to £4. All they've done is halved the reduction.

I’m in a cooling off period until the 28/2 will be interesting to see when I’m informed of a price hike, I’m guessing 1/3

Cancelled already in advance of the rises - just really poor value compared to other platforms

BT and Virgin Media are also raising prices so it's not just Sky.

Don't use them either so all good

Just had the same letter through, ours is going up £7.50 in total.

Such a joke, think it may be the end for us after being with them for 10+ years. There is no comparison in value compared to what you get out of Netflix and Disney for a fraction of the cost.

Spoke to Sky… they have held my current price for another 12 months. I’m not sure why they put it up, I suppose not everyone complains and a handful leave.

So annoying!

Me too, just spoke to them removed movies and kids, and with some additional discounts saving £30pm.

one thing the guy said to me was they will match any new customer offers, so worth building your package as a new customer and seeing if that will get you any additional discount, it saved me an extra £10pm on what they were initially offering.

Mine is going up £2 a month which take Sky Tv up to £26 p/m. I have:

Sky Signature
Sky HD
Sky Go Extra
Ultra HD
See It First

Considered moving away from them as most of the TV we watch is catch up or Freeview but haven't looked into options yet. It's been that long since I bought a TV... can you pause live freeview tv now?

You can also pause and rewind live TV, so you need never miss a moment.

Last edited:
Got rid of Sky TV last April and haven’t missed it (have Apple TV, Netflix, Disney, Prime and BT Sport). Value was no longer there even with the constant discounts offered to stay every year at renewal time.

Now looking to move away from Sky Broadband which is proving more difficult as other providers down seem to be able to offer the same speeds.
I moved from Sky to Now (which is still sky!) and I get better speed with Now than I did with sky - costing £21 per month for 60 down - 20 up with line rental and unlimited calls

I hesitantly contracted again in December after much toing and froing to justify keeping Sky. Borderline decision but we kept it almost as one last hurrah. Forgot to factor in the price rises, so my top end I was just about comfortable with at £55 for everything (bar Kids, BB separate deal) will go to £60.

Kicking myself a bit as before re-contracting we'd accepted losing Sky but thought we'd give it one last go. I've been keeping a close eye on how we actually Sky. Still get value out of Sports and Cinema - which I moaned at the time to Sky rep is all we really want but forced to take Signature etc. But apart from terrestrial access we barely use the other channels. Most of our 'new program' viewing is Netflix or Disney. Barely anything from Sky-based channels. Even looking for background TV surprised how little I find of interest in most of the channels. Essentially throwing away better part of 40 quid each month just to get access to movies and sport.

If anything at least its crystalised my decision to not sign up next time contract due.

I have signature, movies, Netflix, hd and superfast due to the timing of my contract this is the second April increase from £59 to 61 to 66.50. Contract is up shortly and will be £101. I was offered £86. Netflix is cheaper than the Ultimate add on and HD sub without sky. Just the April increases are approx 13%. Been with sky 22 yrs and only had 1 retention deal, looks like I'm gone.

I looked into getting Sky recently and nearly fell over laughing when I saw that I had to pay extra to get it in HD (the main terrestrial channels are in HD on Freeview, yes FREE to view) I completely lost any interest in Sky the moment I saw that. Don't they realise HD is not a new thing I'm surprised they don't want to charge extra for colour :rotfl:

So I have only been with sky 2 months and they are putting prices up and apparently because it’s a contractual change it will lock me into another 18 month contract?? so am I able to say no and leave

I can't see how that's possible (locking you into another contract)

if you contracted 2 months ago, then they have something in their t&cs that says the price can go up with inflation, but they can't start your contract again - if so, with the price changes happening every year, you'd never end the contract your in before the price change?

On my sky app it says “Sky TV (Sky Signature* price is increasing by £1 on 1st April 2022):£26 pm with a new 18-month minimum term. Prices may change during this period. Standard price (currently £31pm) applies when not signing up to a new min term or outside of min term. Prices may change during this period. Set-up: New customers: £20; Existing Sky Q customers: £20; Existing Sky+HD customers upgrading to Sky Q: £119. Non-standard set up may cost extra.” So it sounds like you get an new 18 month term or am I reading it wrong lol

Hi, I was in that postion last year, your contract is for 18 months from the start not the price increase. Be aware you will also face next April's increase during the same contract. In my view contracts should be 12 months or 18 with 1 price increase, every second sign up creates that. Mine went up £7.50 equating to 13% for a basic package, that's more than inflation. The percentage increase should be in relation to what you are paying and if above inflation you should have the option to leave not be locked in. For that increase I could have added Disney or prime.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom